Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

AEM EMS or GReddy Emanage for GS3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-06, 07:33 AM
modifyd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, They were back in my hometown, Lancaster, where I had room to work. My parents moved into The Gates community and I couldn't keep anything so I sold all my cars except my Toyota truck which is in my garage now in Seneca, SC. The Galaxie is at the beach now as I bagged it for a buddy and he sold it later on. It's a '62, baby blue in color. The guy lives in Murrells Inlet. I just sold the turbo van to a guy in Delaware and the Civic went to a buddy of mine in Lancaster. A guy in Charlotte bought my '64 Continental, which was stock.

Oh yeah, the Corolla got sold to a buddy in Lancaster who abused it in the woods like I did, so it went to a good home. I loved that car. Actually broke the fuel pump off the block jumping the car about 3ft in the air!

Yeah, I might need some help but I'll definately at least stop in the shop sometime when I come down there next. When are you open on the weekends, if any? I'm not sure where I'll do the HG change as all my tools are in Seneca, but I have no garage as the truck is in there torn apart. I might do it outside and cover it up. Have you ever messed with the AEM setup or any standalone? JPI was very helpful, but I think I've ticked him off.

Last edited by modifyd; 02-03-06 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-04-06, 07:47 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.. you did have some toys

I have setup and tuned a few EMS, never on the Lexus but I may be going that route eventually on my 1st gen.

Unless we are out of town for a drift event, we are in on Saturdays about 12-5, monday thru fridays 10-ish til 7-ish. LOL. maybe later if i have work to do on my team or my personal cars (which is almost always)
Old 02-04-06, 08:32 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by modifyd
No, They were back in my hometown, Lancaster, where I had room to work. My parents moved into The Gates community and I couldn't keep anything so I sold all my cars except my Toyota truck which is in my garage now in Seneca, SC. The Galaxie is at the beach now as I bagged it for a buddy and he sold it later on. It's a '62, baby blue in color. The guy lives in Murrells Inlet. I just sold the turbo van to a guy in Delaware and the Civic went to a buddy of mine in Lancaster. A guy in Charlotte bought my '64 Continental, which was stock.

Oh yeah, the Corolla got sold to a buddy in Lancaster who abused it in the woods like I did, so it went to a good home. I loved that car. Actually broke the fuel pump off the block jumping the car about 3ft in the air!

Yeah, I might need some help but I'll definately at least stop in the shop sometime when I come down there next. When are you open on the weekends, if any? I'm not sure where I'll do the HG change as all my tools are in Seneca, but I have no garage as the truck is in there torn apart. I might do it outside and cover it up. Have you ever messed with the AEM setup or any standalone? JPI was very helpful, but I think I've ticked him off.
I'm just trying to help. No I'm not ticked off lol . Just trying to give you some hint and make sure you know what are you getting yourself into . AEM release the universal box and harness, it's not too bad to wired that sucker up. Why would you want to keep the stock internals? Swap the TT bottom ends and call it a day.
JPI
Old 02-05-06, 08:58 PM
modifyd
Pole Position

Thanks. I still can't 100% decide whether to go na-t or a complete vvt-i swap. There are so many pros and cons to both. The only reason to keep the stock internals for now if I went na-t, is for quickness as I wouldn't have to take the engine apart yet. I would just wait until I get everything else set up before I put the bottom end together. I guess we'll see as hopefully I will start on this soon. I'm looking around at different prices on the vvt-i setups and the costs of going na-t.
Old 02-05-06, 09:13 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the cons to a full VVti swap?
Old 02-06-06, 05:05 AM
modifyd
Pole Position

The upfront price is the con. Getting ~315whp is not going to be that expensive on the stock engine compared to the full engine swap, but there isn't much room for running higher boost on the stock engine without rebuilding it and possibly running a standalone. At least that's my interpretation of the situation.
Old 02-07-06, 06:49 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by modifyd
Thanks. I still can't 100% decide whether to go na-t or a complete vvt-i swap. There are so many pros and cons to both. The only reason to keep the stock internals for now if I went na-t, is for quickness as I wouldn't have to take the engine apart yet. I would just wait until I get everything else set up before I put the bottom end together. I guess we'll see as hopefully I will start on this soon. I'm looking around at different prices on the vvt-i setups and the costs of going na-t.
check on the ForSale section under BadAssGS3t. A member's car was in an accident and i believe he had the full swap up for sale (vvti.. bpu+++) a major plus is that it should be a drop and go.. harness already modded and all. pushing close to 500rwhp on worked twins.
Old 02-08-06, 08:19 PM
samster
Pole Position

yea guys thats the same problem i was thinkin bout. How do u get the VVTI to work right when ur going FI?
the short block is basically the same. Wha i had on mind was treated factory GTE pistons n treated GTE rods and mabe install some oil squirtes. but acutally no need for the squirters if i get the pistons treated
but the GTE exhaust manifold and the GE manifold have differnt bolt patterns correct? what about the head? differnt bolt patterns? If i go full standalone what to do with the VVTI? does it need to be controlled?
just doesn't feel right without boost -=) even tho its a 2j its not a supra
heck my 7m pushes more -=T

VVTI is bootleg VTEC correct? what do the honda guys do? i've seen alot of vtecs with just a turbo on a manifold n a AFC and thats it lolz
Old 02-08-06, 10:22 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Read JPI's stickied post on VVTi.. should shed some light.

Honda VTEC is a world of difference.
Old 02-09-06, 06:52 AM
Burton
Pole Position

OK the cost differance isn't that bad. I did the labor on my 2JZ-GTE swap and I only had $4500 in the whole swap. This included the front clip, shipping, and all fluids and parts to compleat the swap. This was bone stock with a custom downpipe because I had to. With the stock exhaust the car put down 283whp. I put in a AFC, Profec-B, BCD, and built a custom magnaflow 3" exhaust and the car traped at 113mph on race gas (this is where the speed cut is). If you put that in one of the hp calculators a 4200# car traping 113mph is making ~528 whp. so for well under 6k the car is capable of a 12 second pass.

Another pluss is you have the 4speed trany that holds way more power.

Ben
Old 02-09-06, 07:55 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

did you weigh your car? those #s seem off a little.. but mainly b/c the stock turbos cannot make that much power.. especially the JDM. You didnt mention a front mount either, so I'm assuming the stock sidemount is still in place. Not being a troll, but the 528hp is way off. I do know guys that on the stock JDM twins with BPU and a SAFC2 and more boost that pull 380rwhp no problem though, even on the stock side mount.

I trapped 105mph in my 93 with nitrous on a GTE bottom end was only making 265/280.

*thread hijack over..
Old 02-09-06, 08:07 AM
Burton
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Epik
did you weigh your car? those #s seem off a little.. but mainly b/c the stock turbos cannot make that much power.. especially the JDM. You didnt mention a front mount either, so I'm assuming the stock sidemount is still in place. Not being a troll, but the 528hp is way off. I do know guys that on the stock JDM twins with BPU and a SAFC2 and more boost that pull 380rwhp no problem though, even on the stock side mount.

I trapped 105mph in my 93 with nitrous on a GTE bottom end was only making 265/280.

*thread hijack over..
Like i said calculated. A conservative number for the car is 4000#'s and I am 200#s so there is your 4200#'s. this was on 116 leaded race gas, and the car did trap 113mph. There are many veriables in there like wheel spin and such.

OK sorry you made me question myself and i was wrong that was the calculated crank hp value. The WHP value is 425-450. Sorry I feel like a real dunb *** now.

Ben
Old 02-09-06, 08:08 AM
modifyd
Pole Position

Burton, could I email you sometime about this when I get started on the project? I called about a clip from venus-auto and found a few motorsets on ebay. Where did you get your clip from? I'm hoping to start on this project in the next couple of weeks. I'll also be doing the labor myself. Did the ecu just plug in the stock location or did you have to swap any pins for functions? Also what other wiring modifications did you have to do and how did you fix the tach, fans, and vsc? Did you get a wiring diagram for the pinouts?
Old 02-09-06, 08:45 AM
Burton
Pole Position

Ok lets see if i can remember all that. I also got my motor from Venus, some times it is hard to understand them, but I have purchased 4 or 5 motors from them and had no problems. The one they have is missing the radiator, fans, and piping. these parts are JDM only and can not be purchased directly on us. You may be able to modify your factory radiator to work.

I do have wiring diagrams (thanks to a felow clb lexus member), but you shouldent need them. The only modification to the harnes was the tach wire, which once i figured out where to get the signal was a 5 min fix. My cooling fans run all the time I have found no need to fix this the car heats up plenty fast and never overheats even at 107 deg. I never looked at the VSC either this looks like it could be a big job to try to make it work. I don't drive the car in bad weather and I always turned it off first thing any way so it was no use to me.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions while you are doing the swap I can PM you my cel. Oh also try to get the drive shaft with the front clip otherwise you will have to shorten your stock one.

Ben
Old 02-09-06, 08:53 AM
modifyd
Pole Position

Thanks, yeah I called them about the picture. The woman said it might be missing but it could just be taken out. She said call her next Tuesday when it arrives. I plan on a FMIC, so the intercooler is not a prob, but the rad hoses will be. I have good standings with the parts house down the road so I might go in there and try to find a suitable set of hoses. So I assume yoiu would suggest a clip because the motorsets are usually missing the driveshaft and probably the igniter, maf, and other sensors.

Off subject....Jeff, I might try and make it down to your shop on Saturday. Are you by chance located next to the store with the bodydropped green Ranger? I've been in there before.

Quick Reply: AEM EMS or GReddy Emanage for GS3?