Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Should I build another GS or should I build an IS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-06 | 09:40 PM
BadAssGS3T
Driver

Default Should I build another GS or should I build an IS?

After my boosted GS was declared a total loss, I found myself without a fast car. I was drooling over the Bentley Continental GT. My neighbor has one and my wife was OK with me getting it. We even went for a test drive. The salesman blew it when he mentioned that the motor is a 12 cylinder, twin turbo in front of my wife..

She already thought that the GS was too fast and in her mind, the Bentley would be twice as fast. I tried to explain to her that my GS was faster but she would not buy it. She could not understand how something with 6 Cylinders and two turbos could be faster than something with 12 Cylinders and two turbos. I lost that battle following her new dad argument.

I had to agree with her that as a new father I needed to be a little bit more responsible. So i bought a truck and put my old set up for sale in the general classifieds section of this forum. The truck I bought is a Mercedes G500. It drives OK but it certainly is not as smooth as my GX470. I don’t know why I let my cousin talk me into buying it.

At any rate, since I have not had any serious offers on my old set up, I am now toying with the idea of building a new car. I am not sure if I should build an IS or a GS. Both cars are now very inexpensive. I saw a 2001 GS go on ebay for $12,000 and a 2001 IS for $11,700.

I am very familiar with the GS and I know it’s a nice comfortable car. The IS looks rather small. I have never driven one so I don’t really know how they feel or handle. Also, if after building it, I decided I did not want to keep it, which one would be easier to get rid of? A 2JZ GTE powered GS or a 2JZ-GTE powered IS?

I am posting this in the IS forum and the GS forum so that I can hear both sides. Let me know your thoughts
Old 01-28-06 | 10:03 PM
rbeermann
Pole Position

i got both cars, and i can honestly say that i hardly ever touch the is3 anymore. i think most will agree with you going with a gs
Old 01-29-06 | 05:07 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Default another turbo GS!!

Get the GS again bro!

4 Reasons:

1) The wife was ok with the first twin turbo GS - sets a precedence on letting you have another.

2) Everything is known as far as what to do and you already have the motor. (still have the motor right??)

3) If you get the IS - you won't have ANY room for that car seat and your new addition is going to be kicking the back of your seat. (We all know the IS rear seat is only big enough for a deck of cards)

4) Us GS guys will miss you if you get an IS...

C'mon bro - I still remember when you smoked that Cayenne... there are more Porsche owners that need to be put in their place!

c.
Old 01-29-06 | 06:09 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

From a strictly biased point of view get the GS. But, you've been there, done that so perhaps a IS would be a welcomed change. Take an IS for a test drive and then try to imagine those extra ponies working the car.
Old 01-29-06 | 08:51 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Simple,

Buy another GS, transplant that incredible motor you have -

You are going to take a huge hit on that motor - I would not sell it.

I don't own an IS but I don't know how much room there will be for the baby seat. I know when I had my SC that even with the passenger front seat all the way forward there still wasn't sufficient for the baby seat in the back. I know it was a 2dr but it showed me just how much room a baby seat needs.

Jonny
Old 01-29-06 | 08:55 AM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default just checkin

you test drove a bentley with thoughts of buying one!!!??? I think getting both would not hurt you financially, and in fact you would prob mod both perhaps. Good luck whatever you get. I think the is would be a more race inspiried look, and the gs would be a fast, sleeper sedan.
Old 01-29-06 | 10:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

You wanna buy me something that cost $30? $30 is only like what...0.00045% of what a Bently cost?
Old 01-29-06 | 11:20 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

lemme get this straight... you're asking on the GS Forum whether you should get an IS? i'm guessing you already know the answer to that
Old 01-29-06 | 11:38 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

You should build another GS all the way
Old 01-29-06 | 02:59 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

build another one bro...i dont wanna lose another GS bro lol
Old 01-29-06 | 03:40 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fireballs gs400
you test drove a bentley with thoughts of buying one!!!??? I think getting both would not hurt you financially, and in fact you would prob mod both perhaps. Good luck whatever you get. I think the is would be a more race inspiried look, and the gs would be a fast, sleeper sedan.
exactly and you should have some change
Old 01-29-06 | 04:29 PM
maaloxx
Pole Position

Buy the bentley...she'll get over it! lol
Old 01-29-06 | 06:15 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

I'm still trying to figure out why you're considering an IS/GS when you are also shopping for a $150K+ car.
Old 01-29-06 | 07:09 PM
BadAssGS3T
Driver

Originally Posted by aliti19
I'm still trying to figure out why you're considering an IS/GS when you are also shopping for a $150K+ car.
Actually, I am no longer shopping for the Bentley as I bought a Mercedes Benz G500. I only have trucks at my house now and I thought a sedan would be nice. Now you tell me, which sedan, AT ANY PRICE, is able to offer the kind of performance and comfort found in a boosted GS.

I did not even bother taking a test drive of the new M5 as I am definitely not interested in anything BMW has to offer. I had to take BMW of America to court in order to get the motor replaced in my E46 M3. I briefly considered the E55 AMG but a boosted 2JZ GTE GS offers a lot more potential. In fact, even with the upgraded twins, I was putting E55 AMGs to shame in my GS. Quite simply, anyone performance oriented looking at a 4 door sedan could not make a better choice than a boosted GS.

The only reason I was considering the IS is because I figured I could go all out with the IS. Sometimes, I still feel the need for all out performance. I could do the 6 speed swap, turn up the boost and go single.But the IS is so small that I might as well get a non boosted MKIV Supra and do the conversion.

I don't buy cars based on their price and status symbol. I was going to buy the Bentley because I liked it. One of my neighbors has one and it's one of the rare cars that my boosted GS did not completely destroy...not to mention that it has a functional back seat .

Thanks to all who answered I am not sure if I am going to build anything yet at this point. One part of me is all about the need for speed. However, I had a very bad accident last year which left me hospitalized for weeks. My Viper was totaled. I was racing at night in an area I was not familiar with. When I realized I was coming up on a curve, it was too late. As I was heading toward the guard rail at over 140 MPH, all I could think of was that I would not see my daughter grow up. I guess I have lost some of my Mojo in that accident...not sure yet what I will do.
Old 01-29-06 | 07:36 PM
wayne
Lexus Test Driver

Do another GS, since you already have everything for it.

Quick Reply: Should I build another GS or should I build an IS?