Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LSD / Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-06, 12:48 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD / Torque Converter

On L-Tunedparts.com - it says that the Toyota Complete 3.76 LSD is a direct bolt on replacement for the factory unit? Where is this exactly? I've heard you have to take apart your actual transmission to install this part? Is it hard to install? Anyone have pictures of it installed? Same questions for the Torque Converter, I hear that the actual transmission has to come apart for them to put this part in, I thought it just went near the front of the throttle body or something.. can anyone elaborate? pictures would help too! thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-06, 06:40 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kharizma
On L-Tunedparts.com - it says that the Toyota Complete 3.76 LSD is a direct bolt on replacement for the factory unit? Where is this exactly? I've heard you have to take apart your actual transmission to install this part? Is it hard to install? Anyone have pictures of it installed? Same questions for the Torque Converter, I hear that the actual transmission has to come apart for them to put this part in, I thought it just went near the front of the throttle body or something.. can anyone elaborate? pictures would help too! thanks in advance!
The center section for the rear end that contains the LSD is between the rear wheels. I replace one in 5 hours on my t-bird. The engine and transmission is not touched during the installation.

The torque converter is between the engine and transmission. The transmission has to be removed in order to install it. The engine and transmission are not taken apart during the installation.

If you want pictures, try a search for LSD or TC.
Old 01-29-06, 08:56 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

Not sure where you are getting your info??

The torque convertor is inside the pumpkin of the transmission - so yes it will need to be removed.

The differential, like stated above, is not inside the transmission or anywhere near the throttle body. Go look under your car - the big thing in the middle between you wheels - that is your differential

Jonny
Old 01-29-06, 05:30 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This should help explain the LSD part. BananaGS site. #9 on enagine and tranny section

http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/
Old 01-30-06, 02:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

bottom line:

- to install lsd, it's in the back of the car (by the rear wheels), direct replacement, no need to drop trannies at all

- to instal the tc, yes you need to drop the tranny
Old 03-01-06, 02:01 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

www.luxurymods.com has the pink torque converter for $850 for the GS300. Is this a reputable place? The JP group buy said that $900 was pretty much cost.
Old 03-01-06, 09:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

that's the precision industry. 850 is high. get it through tm engineering (todd@tmengineering.net) or carson toyota (l-tunedparts.com) and you should get it for lower
Old 03-01-06, 10:01 AM
Revhard191
Lead Lap

Sorry to Hijack your thread, but I have been contimplating on the LSD and Torque Converter. I have read the benifits, but how about stall? I am really green to all of this and have read quite a bit on this but I still dont understand. The only thing that I know is that when my uncle had his Pro Stock car, he had a stall converter and I am not certain how it all works.

I guess my dumb question is: how will it effect the daily driving of the car and will I feel like I am being jerked when it hits into the gears?

I don't know what to do, but I heard that it makes our motors more efficient and tends to put more of the ponies to the floor....which is what I am trying to do.

So far my engine is not very modified with the exceptions of an air intake and exhaust.

Sorry to ramble....but any more info would be greatly appreciated to help me make my decision.

Cheers,

Revhard191
Old 03-01-06, 10:40 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Revhard191
Sorry to Hijack your thread, but I have been contimplating on the LSD and Torque Converter. I have read the benifits, but how about stall? I am really green to all of this and have read quite a bit on this but I still dont understand. The only thing that I know is that when my uncle had his Pro Stock car, he had a stall converter and I am not certain how it all works.

I guess my dumb question is: how will it effect the daily driving of the car and will I feel like I am being jerked when it hits into the gears?

I don't know what to do, but I heard that it makes our motors more efficient and tends to put more of the ponies to the floor....which is what I am trying to do.

So far my engine is not very modified with the exceptions of an air intake and exhaust.

Sorry to ramble....but any more info would be greatly appreciated to help me make my decision.

Cheers,

Revhard191
Neither of these mods will give you anymore HP. They are going to make your car feel faster though.

To let you know what I would do - go for the TC first with a tranny cooler. The shifts are not going to be hard like it would be with a VB upgrade, but it will shift faster.

I had problems hitting my rev limiter with my 3.76 lsd so I sold mine.

It will not make daily driving less luxurious - just give you a little more pep off the line and during shifts.

The TC I believe is the best mod for the $.

Jonny
Old 03-01-06, 12:04 PM
sockfocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A higher stall speed lets the engine move higher into the power band during launch and acceleration. From what I've read on the forums its a great mod for the GS400.
Old 03-01-06, 12:48 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The TRD one has the sock gearing but has the limited slip effect. The car comes out of corners like a bat out of hell. Not like the stock unit.
Old 03-01-06, 12:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Dx3
Neither of these mods will give you anymore HP. They are going to make your car feel faster though.

To let you know what I would do - go for the TC first with a tranny cooler. The shifts are not going to be hard like it would be with a VB upgrade, but it will shift faster.

I had problems hitting my rev limiter with my 3.76 lsd so I sold mine.

It will not make daily driving less luxurious - just give you a little more pep off the line and during shifts.

The TC I believe is the best mod for the $.

Jonny
actually, the car doesn't FEEL faster, the car IS faster -- must faster with tc and lsd, may i add

the tc raise the stall speed, that's the speed the engine will rev up to before the tranny completely engages, so giving you higher rev. at idle it's the same. and yes i strongly suggest tranny cooler

i have 3.76 lsd and i have no limiter problem. it keeps your car in a little higher rpm at any speed, putting you in power band faster. but again, at idle it's the same (around 600rpm?)

so at idle, my car is just the same, at any speed, rpm is a bit higher coz' of the 3.76 gearing. and at any speed, my car rockets fast
Old 03-02-06, 09:38 AM
Revhard191
Lead Lap

Well, I will be looking at doing the TC soon, I just need to figure out what stall to get and my uncle said that he will help me with it all. Since I am running 20" wheels, we will figure out what gearing to run once he has had time to figure it all out.

I only wish we had another gear or over drive gear in the GS so this way I can save on Freeway miles.....Gas is going to kill me this summer. I am already at $600 a month for both my GS and my wifes Escalade

Cheers,

Revhard191
Old 03-02-06, 09:43 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Revhard191
I only wish we had another gear or over drive gear in the GS so this way I can save on Freeway miles.....Gas is going to kill me this summer. I am already at $600 a month for both my GS and my wifes Escalade

Cheers,

Revhard191
Yeah me too. I just bought my GS not too long ago and it did not take long to figure out it SUCKS gas. At first I just tried not to rev it over 2500 RPMs but then I realized on the highway I was averaging about 3500 RPMs. So now I just set the cruise control on 68-72 and it seems to help.
Old 03-02-06, 10:06 AM
Revhard191
Lead Lap

[quote]
Originally Posted by Lexbox
Yeah me too. I just bought my GS not too long ago and it did not take long to figure out it SUCKS gas. At first I just tried not to rev it over 2500 RPMs but then I realized on the highway I was averaging about 3500 RPMs. So now I just set the cruise control on 68-72 and it seems to help.
Yeah, I just keep telling myself that I didn't or don't buy my cars for the gas mileage, but then again, what the heck it is a Lexus.

I am waiting to see when gas is going to start going up here in CA, and I run Premium on both of my cars, so at $2.59 a gallon now, I know it will pass $3.00 a gallon by June.

I need to learn how to make the car more gas efficient, and with performance mods, it is a little harder since I am new to the whole Lexus game.

Cheers,

Revhard191