Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intake/ Air filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-06, 06:38 PM
isdsms
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake/ Air filter

With the new Installations of LMS intakes going on recently, I start to wonder whether the supposed HP gains are mostly contributed to the actual intake, or the K&N filters. From what I've researched and been told, K&N filters are traditionally less restrictive than other air filters, and typically alone give 2-3 HP. As a sacrifice, they dont filter as much, and lead to a shorter engine life, though I dont know how signifcantly.

This thought is the only thing that is keeping me from ordering an intake. If the intake itself is only going to be 2-3 HP, I'd probably pass.

Give me your thoughts. And am I correct in my assumptions?
Old 01-30-06, 10:30 PM
the lndr
Driver

on the 250 iI got about 7 hp and a increase in torque according to the dyno test steve at luxury motor works did on my car. He ca be reached at 626 256 4849. The 350 did alot better on the dyno with the intake almost double.
Old 01-31-06, 03:48 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

As long as you keep the K&N cleaned and oiled on a regular basis, it isn't going to cause your engine to wear appreciably more than it would otherwise. I'd be willing to bet the engine will long outlast the rest of the car.
Old 01-31-06, 06:33 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by isdsms
With the new Installations of LMS intakes going on recently, I start to wonder whether the supposed HP gains are mostly contributed to the actual intake, or the K&N filters. From what I've researched and been told, K&N filters are traditionally less restrictive than other air filters, and typically alone give 2-3 HP. As a sacrifice, they dont filter as much, and lead to a shorter engine life, though I dont know how signifcantly.

This thought is the only thing that is keeping me from ordering an intake. If the intake itself is only going to be 2-3 HP, I'd probably pass.

Give me your thoughts. And am I correct in my assumptions?

Well all you have to do is look at the air flow path of the Oem intake system then
look at how the LMS is set up.. Right away you can see that the LMS system will
allow more airflow due to the pipe just being almost straight..Now combine that
with the K&N air filter.. I'm sure both the intake system design along with the K&N air filter both help but how much of a HP gain remains to be seen, since high-perf parts companies
have long been known to inflate their HP gain #'s.. Once we get a few independent
test results, we'll get an idea... If i had to guess i'd say (5-10 hp)..