Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Which is better SC or TT a GS430..?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-06, 07:00 AM
boostcono
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is better SC or TT a GS430..?

I was wondering which one would you guys recomend more.. Supercharger or Twin Turbo on a 2001 GS430...?

Which one is easier to install..?
Which one is more reliable..?
What are the prize difference..?
What are the power difference.?

Im not looking to do anything too crazy...like 700HP-800HP or anything like that... I just want more power but I don't want to kill the reliability too much...

By doing any of this do you have to change or upgrade anything else or can the car handle it...?

I know when I had my Supra TT and I installed the SP57 single turbo kit. I didn't have to do anything else but install the kit b/c the car could can handle the power ok.
But when I upgraded to an even bigger turbo SP67 I had to upgrade fuel system, transmission...b/c this took the car over its limits..

I guess my question is what do you need beside the Super Charger Kit or Turbo Kit to make the car run safe and reliable...?
And what are the GS 430 limits all the way around.?

Also what companies do you guys suggest..? Im know my Supras shops good but I don't know anything about Lexus upgrades, shops, where can you get good deals... this is my first time playing with a Lexus.

Any helps and tips and past experiencs are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-02-06, 08:41 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done both, the SC is an easier install because there are kits. The turbo single or dual seems to be capable of more power.
Larger injectors and fuel management are required with either.
Tranny is a possible problem once you start approaching 400hp
the 430 rods are weaker than the 1uz rods so power handling will become a problem also, my guess is over 400-450hp.
The high compression is going to probably limit you to around 10-12psi of boost.
My stock fuel system was good for 389hp with the SC

I dont see the need for twin turbo if you really dont want very high HP unless of course you are looking at the pimp factor as a reason to go dual vs single
Old 02-02-06, 10:59 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

The SRT TT kit is not for the 430 I believe.
Old 02-02-06, 03:28 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Is it really a kit? I mean its not like they box up all the parts and ship it to you. I think all turbo setups are pretty much custom deals even if they arent marketed that way.
Old 02-02-06, 04:19 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend with the SC kit and I have the TT kit. The SC has punch from the second you hit the throttle. But the TT seems to have a better pickup espescially in the mid/top end from a rolling 40-50 mph start.

Pros: SC kit was fast to put in. Less overall expense on install.
cons: Hard to find SC kits now. If you want more boost you gotta find the pulleys and that is almost as rare as the SC kit

Pros: TT kit was almost as fast to install (go see my install thread). A good shop like XS-engineering, Toyomoto and other fabricators are around. No power limit except for the internals/engine itself.
Cons: $$$$

I haven't seen a TT "kit" yet unless it was purchased from a previous owner, otherwise these are custom fit

Overall, I like the TT kit as it doesn't have too much noise (whine) at idle. Plus I really like the way the BOV sounds when I give the pedal a quick jab.