Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Pictures of Tanabe exhaust on my 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 03:25 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exhaust looks really good. How loud is it when your cruising - getting on it?
Old 02-08-06, 03:28 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aclarke
exhaust looks sporty yet classy at the same time... definately nice pickup.... Im definately not feeling the "Civic TypeR" styled Tanabe sticker on the trunk lid though... this is a Lexus we're driving after all... not a Dodge Neon...
I bet that Tababe was the one that put it there!! Companies are like that... if they're testing suspension, exhaust, or whatever it is (or sponsoring) they always like to put stickers for promotion purposes.

Hey Yoshi, does it make a lot of noise? or is it just a "cool sounding" exhaust?? (a la Infiniti G35 OEM exhaust)???

"Looks-wise" the exhaust looks AWESOME!!!
Old 02-08-06, 04:56 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

The exhaust looks great... with HP gains to boot!

I am curious to how 'ricey' it sounds. Is the exhaust note a deep mellow sound or a high tinny sound?

I'd remove the Tanabe decal; it looks out of place and it from the camera's perspective, unlevel.
Old 02-08-06, 05:45 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dnszoom
The exhaust looks great... with HP gains to boot!

I am curious to how 'ricey' it sounds. Is the exhaust note a deep mellow sound or a high tinny sound?

I'd remove the Tanabe decal; it looks out of place and it from the camera's perspective, unlevel.
900+ dollars for 7 hp/tq gains!!. I wouldn't even consider it. Looking forward to some real tests. LMS is claiming more power, but I can't see how the two could be that far off on gains. Someone get these exhaust dyno'd so we can all see the truth. I'm working on the intake side as I'll be doing another dyno next week and have it compared to my stock baseline.
Old 02-08-06, 05:52 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

I thought the one from LMS is Header back, I think. So It probaby eliminated some cats
Old 02-08-06, 06:16 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Sorry guys, but you're fooling yourselves if you think you're going to gain any HP from a cat-back system. By the time the exhaust flow gets all the way back to the last cat, backpressure and restriction are as bad as they're gonna get. Freeing things up after the last cat might add some noise, but it isn't going to do anything to power levels.
Old 02-08-06, 06:17 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

wow , i love the look of the exhuast, i hope the final product doesn't
have their name stamped on the side of the exhaust tips
I'd pay $900 for just 7 hp, because along with that you get better looks and
sound...
Old 02-08-06, 07:31 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Anyone know what the status is on the HKS exhaust? I thought it was going to be an option for the IS350 this spring. I'd be curious to see some photos and pricing information. As for the LMS exhaust I believe the system is header back. If it is headers back, then it looks like you're removing 2 cats. It also looks like there are 2 precats in the headers themselves, and if the 350 is anything like the 300, then the ECU will check the precats for emissions, and throw CELs based on those. So it looks like 2 cats are being removed, but you still won't get a cel - just like getting a y-pipe for the is300

Last edited by caymandive; 02-08-06 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-08-06, 08:18 AM
GS3T
Lead Lap

looks good
Old 02-08-06, 08:45 AM
GSE25
Lead Lap

I am curious as to how much this thing weighs.
Old 02-08-06, 11:09 AM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

A couple of things:

1) I usually agree with you Heffergm, on most things, but I disagree with the claim that you will not see any hp gains with a cat back exhaust system. There are gains to be had, and there were certainly gains on the B5 Audi S4 with a cat back exhaust

2) You need to do a baseline dyno on each car (LMS and Tanabe) and then do a dyno run with the new exhaust. These tests should be done within two hours, tops. It does no good to compare a dyno of the LMS exhaust vs Tanabe exhaust and just say, "See, you get more gains with the LMS." Each car puts out a different amount of horsepower in its stock form, which is why you need a baseline run of each car

3) I would like to see the exhaust from underneath while the car is on a lift, so we can see all the bends and such

4) Question about the Tanabe, yoshi13.... How loud is the exahust from inside the car? I want to get an aftermarket exhaust but I definitely want something quite. I did the uber loud exhaust thing on my previous S4 and Im just not in the mood to do that again this time around. Mayeb a question for all of you: Which Japanese Tuner is generally known for making quality exhausts with a subdued exhaust note?

5) Yoshi, remove the sticker when you can... haha... other than that, looks good man!
Old 02-08-06, 11:10 AM
yoshi13
Rookie

The sound:
During idle / cruising, you can hardly tell that it's not the stock exhaust from inside the cabin. But when you step on the gas and accelerate to around the 2k-4k RPM zone, the exhaust starts to roar... it's a deep rumbling tone. It won't set off car alarms, but it's definitely noticeable inside and outside the cabin. As you rev towards 5-6.5k, instead of the rumbling sound, the muffler makes a more sporty tone.. not too deep, not too high pitched and not ricey.. not sure If i can describe it correctly. The exhaust is rated to be less than 93db, so it's noise legal in California. Just wait until I can take some audio clips.

The Logo:
I believe the final product will have the "Medallion" logo etched onto the side of the exhaust in light gold. IMO it's pretty cool, and you can't tell that it's there until you get really up close and personal..

The Sticker:
Alex350 is correct, Tanabe put their sticker on my car when they first put on the springs. I won't mind having it for a few more months. For the springs and exhaust, I'm willing to do a little advertising for them
Old 02-08-06, 01:07 PM
yoshi13
Rookie

Added sound clips and daytime pictures in the first post. Enjoy!
Old 02-08-06, 01:23 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Exhaust looks great!! Not ricey looking at all. It looks agressive and classy. Not sound huge tomato can crap.

The straight-on shot where you can see the shiny stainless of the canister is just priceless!
Old 02-08-06, 01:31 PM
ONEdirty23
Pole Position

yoshi, do the tips stick out past the rear bumper, or are they flush? looks and sounds great tho! If you could post pics from the side that would be coo. Thanks

Quick Reply: Pictures of Tanabe exhaust on my 350