Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Pictures of Tanabe exhaust on my 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 02:22 PM
Tanabe USA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

First off,

Thanks to "Yoshi13" for letting us use his car to develop this exhaust system! Jason also let us use his car in the past to develop the lowering springs that are also equipped on his car.

The system is for the most part finalized, and when our engineers return to Japan, they will begin production. The Medalion Touring for IS350 should be available within 3 months!

MSRP has not yet been established, for pricing, please contact your Club Lexus Authorized Vendor / Authorized Tanabe dealer when it becomes available.

R&D Summary:
The IS350, like all Lexus vehicles, is a wonderfully built and exceptionally tuned vehicle. During development of this exhaust system, there was surprisingly a bit of room for improvement of the exhaust system, and we were able to extract roughly 7rwhp and ~6ft lbs of torque with our system. Recently, newer high power NA cars have more efficient exhaust systems, and it has become harder to create power with exhaust systems alone. Suffice to say, we were very pleased with the real-world results we received.

The dynograph of the IS350 shows an incredibly smooth horsepower and torque curve, which is undoubtedly evidenced by those who have driven the vehicle. We will post additional information along with the dynographs of this exhaust on our website very soon.

Dynamometer and dyno testing was performed independently by the friendly staff at R&D Dyno Service in Gardena, CA.

Here are additional pictures from the R&D we performed yesterday (2-7-2006)

The production prototype Medalion Touring for IS350

Shot 1 with the IS350 on the lift

Shot 2 with the IS350 on the lift

Back View

Rear Quarter

Side Profile of Rear Bumper
Old 02-08-06, 02:39 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi, i think ur exhaust looks and sounds great, but i have a few questions:

1) LMS was able to acheive a 12 rwhp gain with their exhaust, do you know why yours is not as powerful?

2) Why does tanabe do their R&D here (USA) when they can just do it in Japan?

3) Yoshi, is your car lowered? with wut?
Old 02-08-06, 03:18 PM
Tanabe USA
Former Vendor

Our exhaust system was independently tested, at R&D Dyno Services in Gardena, CA which uses a Dynojet chassis dynamometer. It was tested yesterday afternoon, in 75F dry weather.

For Southern California locals, as well as those in the tuning community, R&D Dyno Services has been known for many years for the accuracy and precise calibration of their machines and testing procedures. The great staff at R&D Dyno are professionalswho have been in the import and domestic industry for a very long time.

Mustang Dynographs have been well known for providing skewed results (from other dynamometers) that can also greatly vary depending on the person who is doing the testing and which gear they tested in. The dynamometer must also be properly calibrated to provide accurate results.

The Medalion Touring was dyno tested using the correct gear, and independently tested by professionals in their respective field. When posted, the dyno results and graph will speak for itself, and the results are subjective to those interpreting them. We were very happy with these results, which were unexpected!

We cannot comment on the validity or accuracy of claims of that other manufacturer.

We have been developing performance parts for nearly 25 years, and take a very exhaustive approach during our engineering process to ensure reliability and accuracy of any information we release. We always ask that people take an objective look at any figures that they are given. Whether they use our systems or not, it's always good to be properly informed!

We do R&D in both Japan AND US. This is to ensure that fitment and function applies to the variances in the US vehicles. Vehicles in Japan use higher octane gasoline, and have other emissions standards which do not apply to US vehicles. Many times, an exhaust system built for Japanese cars on 100 Octane will make good power in Japan, but will not make any power if the same system is used in the U.S.A. with US Octane levels.

This is why US based testing is a necessity for us.

Yoshi has the Tanabe NF210 lowering springs, in which he was also the prototype car for us.

Hopefully that answered your questions!

Last edited by Tanabe USA; 02-08-06 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 03:34 PM
Carson-Lex
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

MSRP has not yet been established, for pricing, please contact your Club Lexus Authorized Vendor / Authorized Tanabe dealer when it becomes available.
That be us!! As soon as we get all the info from Tanabe USA it will be on the CL board
Old 02-08-06, 04:20 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

does the LMS replace the same exhaust section as the tanabe in the above picture]
Old 02-08-06, 04:29 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Tanabe USA,

That exhaust setup looks AWSOME!

I like the 'tips' of the system. Until now, the ONLY other exhaust tips I like are those found on the back of the Nissan 350Z/G35 models. They are large, polished & have a rolled lip.

Good job. And don't forget the attention to detail on the tips also.
Old 02-08-06, 04:37 PM
yoshi13
Rookie

The tip is also my favorite part of this exhaust.
Old 02-08-06, 05:10 PM
LexFather

I love it all!! Thank you all so much for taking the time to share pics and explain everything!
Old 02-08-06, 05:19 PM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Carson-Lex
That be us!! As soon as we get all the info from Tanabe USA it will be on the CL board
Luis, let me know when it's available!

As long as the pricing (group buy!) is reasonable, I'm in!
Old 02-08-06, 05:19 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Dont most cat back systems come with new resonators as well?

These don't seem to?
Old 02-08-06, 05:20 PM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yoshi13
The tip is also my favorite part of this exhaust.
Thanks for the sound clips yoshi! Man, the exhaust and springs look great! Can't wait for the dyno results.
Old 02-08-06, 05:41 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks Great, I must say Tanabe, I am really impressed with your customer service. It is quite rare in this day and age, but it goes a long way. Thanks for the great info.
Old 02-08-06, 05:55 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Hello Tanabe USA,

Since we're talking exhausts and more specifically Medalions, can you expound some more on the differences between the Medalion Touring & the Super Medalion Hyper. Thanks.

Also, would a group buy be only for the IS model line or for all product lines?
Old 02-08-06, 06:56 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

That sounds very nice. A little bit like the s2k?? O_O ... or maybe it's just my obsession with the s2k..
Old 02-08-06, 08:37 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Yoshi, the car looks good and sounds good with the exhaust and springs. Are you planning on doing any other mods to the car like aftermarket wheels, body kit, etc??

Quick Reply: Pictures of Tanabe exhaust on my 350