Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Which Intake?
LMS Intake
28.23%
Wait for more options
71.77%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Buy LMS Intake or wait for more options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-06, 04:00 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: Buy LMS Intake or wait for more options?

Poll sums it up. Wait for new, possibly better product or buy the LMS intake now?

Im kinda hesitant to buy the first thing that comes out.
Old 02-10-06, 04:58 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

I almost purchased the LMS Intake then I thought better wait to see what everybody thinls of there intake and to see some of the intake manufactures will have, and there best bang for the buck.
Old 02-10-06, 07:58 PM
eg6turbo
Rookie

im personally waiting for aem to come out with something...they always have a true cold air system..always have good pricing...and always make great power...
Old 02-11-06, 03:32 AM
RA010324
Driver

Originally Posted by clausda0
what are downsides of cold air intake?
generally puts the filter end of your intake down in the wheel well closer to the road where it can have more potential to possibly suck water into your engine and kill it. Personally I won't do true cold air intakes on my street cars.......a unit like the LMS where the intake is at least somewhat shielded from hottest air underneath the hood is fine. I had a similar intake on my 350Z and I never lost power from engine heat even when doing track laps in 90 degree weather.
Old 02-11-06, 04:33 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

More noise (although this can be a good thing depending on what you're looking for).

Potential for confusing your engine management system (the MAF/MAP is downstream of the intake and is responsible for telling the ECU about the air flowing into the engine. CAI's have been known to cause issues with that process).

Potentially less air filtration (i.e. dirtier air making it into your engine).

These are generalized. I don't have any first hand knowledge of the CAI's available for the IS.
Old 02-11-06, 02:01 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

The CAI generally keeps the temperature of the air drawn into the engine about 20-25 degrees lower than the short ram. The temperature of the air taken into the engine also increases less than the WAI does at a stop.

What does this mean, in terms of performance? Generally, for each 10 degrees you drop in temperature, you gain an additional 1% in horsepower. This would mean the CAI would be putting roughly 3 more hp to the wheels than the short ram. Is it worth the extra cost? Well, that's up to you to decide.

The only downsides to CAI...is the location of the filter, usually down towards the bottom of the car. If too much moisture gets into the system, you can hydro-lock your engine. Becareful of driving thru puddles that are a couple inches deep. Another downside is make sure the piping is REALLY secure. If the pipe was to rub against anything, like the enginewall's...and create a hole and you start sucking in dirty air. It'd also hurt the engine.
Old 02-12-06, 01:40 AM
shox
Pole Position

CAI, Short Ram...in the end, you're not going to notice much difference between the two except the sound. And, on top of that, intake is intake, you don't notice much difference, or any difference at all, after installing an intake whether it'd be short ram or CAI.
Old 02-12-06, 09:02 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

I disagree that an intake is an intake, and that a short ram is the same as a CAI. On my buddys S2000, when he addded just a AEM CAI, he dropped .2 of his 1/4 at the local drag strip. I also used to have an S2000 and the difference you can really feel especially getting the car off the line.
Old 02-12-06, 03:22 PM
shox
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yellowssm
I disagree that an intake is an intake, and that a short ram is the same as a CAI. On my buddys S2000, when he addded just a AEM CAI, he dropped .2 of his 1/4 at the local drag strip. I also used to have an S2000 and the difference you can really feel especially getting the car off the line.
Yeah but you also got to remember this is a different car we're talking about. Not a high revving 9000RPM S2000. Like I owned a Celica before, and I put CAI in and it honestly didn't do a whole lot compared to stock except the fact that the Check Engine Light was constantly on and louder. Like I said, an intake is an intake, you won't notice much at all but I never said it wouldn't shave off milliseconds or a hundredth of a second in a 1/4 mile.
Old 02-12-06, 03:25 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

ive always noticed a mileage gain upon upgrading the filter whether it be a intake system or a K&N drop in filter sometimes around 2-4 mpg, bros TSX got about 30-40 extra miles a tank just from a drop in
Old 02-15-06, 08:49 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shox
Yeah but you also got to remember this is a different car we're talking about. Not a high revving 9000RPM S2000. Like I owned a Celica before, and I put CAI in and it honestly didn't do a whole lot compared to stock except the fact that the Check Engine Light was constantly on and louder. Like I said, an intake is an intake, you won't notice much at all but I never said it wouldn't shave off milliseconds or a hundredth of a second in a 1/4 mile.
Sorry to disagree but I had an 01 Celica with an Injen CAI and there was definitely a difference in power above 4000 and I never once had a check engine light go on. Plus I did see an increase in the MPG on highway driving.
Old 02-15-06, 05:28 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this helps much but....

When I had my WRX most people argued(and most concluded) that CAI or SRI didn't do much unless the car/ecu was correctly tuned for all the extra air. They said that the extra air would confuse the MAF sensor or something. I'm not sure if the extra air would cause the same problems as it did on WRXs... I had a SRI on my WRX and I did notice that the acceleration was slightly better but I doubt it really did much and it was probably me making myself think that my car was faster than it really was since I had intake. I did notice an improvement in the MPG. I think that if the car is correctly tuned for the intake then the CAI intake would perform better since the air that it draws in would be cooler. Then again, the LMS intake seems to be positioned a lot farther away from the heat than the SRI intake was in my WRX (engine compartment was small ) Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-06, 01:35 PM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

For those who want options on intakes..Fujita F5 makes intakes for the IS350.

I've seen it on an IS350 and decided to go with LMS for the following reasons.

1. The Fujita prevents the plastic engine cover over the filter from being put back unless cut
2. LMS comes in powder black
3. Gains in HP for the Fujita was 12 HP which is less then what LMS claimed of 15 HP

http://www.optionimports.com/fujita-lexus.html

More info...I guess I was wrong on points 1 and 3. But they claim a 20 whp gain ummmm not sure about that.

http://www.*****.com/index2.html

Last edited by RaZoRaMoN; 02-17-06 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-19-06, 10:35 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks like they made a mistake?

0.41rwhp gain for max power and 20.37rwtq gain for max torque?

Old 02-20-06, 05:11 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

These are my dyno results of my LMS intake overlaid on my stock basline results. Several hundred miles were driven between my two dynos so that my ecu could learn my new modification and I'm sure they are very similiar to what the F5 intake would yield as well as they are similiar systems. These are my dyno results and not tested by a manufacturer. For more details, I did a full write up of the LMS intake here including videos and dyno graphs. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201659

Quick Reply: Poll: Buy LMS Intake or wait for more options?