Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone with RMM SC replace tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 11:04 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems that I know of but then the cogged setup is separate from the serpentine system and its tensioner.

As far as help, the way I see it you only have two options.

1. Hope that you can get a new one of the proper confguration from Lexus or Toyota
2. Buy a used one from somebody, ie wrecked car, junkyard, etc.
Old 03-17-06, 11:10 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
No problems that I know of but then the cogged setup is separate from the serpentine system and its tensioner.

As far as help, the way I see it you only have two options.

1. Hope that you can get a new one of the proper confguration from Lexus or Toyota
2. Buy a used one from somebody, ie wrecked car, junkyard, etc.
Morris,

What I was asking was if you had serpentine belt slippage problems when you were running this setup?

If I could at least find out when the part was changed over that might help. I wonder if the LS400 part would work ?

RMMGS4 - any word?

Jonny
Old 03-17-06, 11:13 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea that what I was answering although obviously not clearly.
sorry.

To my knowledge I never had any serpentine belt slippage issues, even when running the cogged setup.
Old 03-17-06, 04:16 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Update

My buddy at Lexus checked the part number and confirmed there is only one PN in the system, though we know for sure that the belt tensioner from a 98 is not exactly the same as that on a 2001 GS430 motor. No clue as to how this happened, but I am sensing that Lexus is lazy to change PNs when they change a design, so long as it doesn't affect anything. Well they didn't consider our need for clearing the SC bracket did they?

So let's back up for a sec. Let me make sure I have this straight.

You are getting belt slippage, on the main serpentine belt. Even though this belt is not the one running from the SC to the steering pump pulleys, you still are experiencing belt slippage on that main serpintine belt as well?

So if that is correct, my buddy said that unless the bearing is making noise, he didn't feel the tensioner would lose much in the way of retaining the belt pressure.

One thing you can try is to order a slightly smaller belt. Something around 10mm shorter than stock should still fit.

If I am on the right track, then go put back the original tensioner and order a belt that is 10 mm shorter. The part number would be 6PK2230.

This should accomplish getting a little more tension than before, but I make no promises or liability on what will happen.

Now let's hope it works.

PS - Thank TAMR_GUS98 and lightwave76 for providing some of the info I have passed on to you.
Old 03-17-06, 05:09 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Update

My buddy at Lexus checked the part number and confirmed there is only one PN in the system, though we know for sure that the belt tensioner from a 98 is not exactly the same as that on a 2001 GS430 motor. No clue as to how this happened, but I am sensing that Lexus is lazy to change PNs when they change a design, so long as it doesn't affect anything. Well they didn't consider our need for clearing the SC bracket did they?

So let's back up for a sec. Let me make sure I have this straight.

You are getting belt slippage, on the main serpentine belt. Even though this belt is not the one running from the SC to the steering pump pulleys, you still are experiencing belt slippage on that main serpintine belt as well?

So if that is correct, my buddy said that unless the bearing is making noise, he didn't feel the tensioner would lose much in the way of retaining the belt pressure.

One thing you can try is to order a slightly smaller belt. Something around 10mm shorter than stock should still fit.

If I am on the right track, then go put back the original tensioner and order a belt that is 10 mm shorter. The part number would be 6PK2230.

This should accomplish getting a little more tension than before, but I make no promises or liability on what will happen.

Now let's hope it works.

PS - Thank TAMR_GUS98 and lightwave76 for providing some of the info I have passed on to you.

Hey man,

Thank you for getting back to me. I ended up going with the gator back belt so I will take it back and get the 6PK2230 like you have recommended. Hopefully Carson will take this tensioner back.

I really don't want to hack the bracket apart so I am hoping this gatorback will work

Yes, you are right. It is the serpentine belt which is still attached to the supercharger that is slipping. Teh actual supercharger belt is teh cogged setup so it doesn't slip.

So basically I have pulled my whole supercharger apart for no reason I'd like to see at least it was fun but it wasn't But at least now I know how to do it.

Guess it is going back together tomorrow and I will work on finding a replacement tensioner.

Thank you everyone involved for your help.

jonny
Old 03-19-06, 05:46 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RMMGS4

They don't make the gatorback in the 2230 so I had to get the 2225. Let's hope it will fit

Jonny