Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone with RMM SC replace tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-06, 06:52 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone with RMM SC replace tensioner

Guys,

I had to replace my belt tensioner on my 98 GS400. The one that I got from the dealer is not the same one that was on my car. The differeneces are minimal, but enough so that I cannot get the supercharger bracket past it.

It seems that the spring housing is a little larger than on the new one and the pulley is a little smaller. I am going to have to cut up my SC bracket to get it to work.

Anyone else have this problem?? Lexus said the part has never changed but the tensioner is definitely different. The old one says Toyota on it so I know it is not aftermarket

Anyone have any ideas??

Jonny
Old 03-16-06, 07:36 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no no no....call rod millen first. see if they have any ideas. maybe mo at srt has some ideas also? don't cut up your bracket and f up your setup.
Old 03-16-06, 07:39 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Guys,

I had to replace my belt tensioner on my 98 GS400. The one that I got from the dealer is not the same one that was on my car. The differeneces are minimal, but enough so that I cannot get the supercharger bracket past it.

It seems that the spring housing is a little larger than on the new one and the pulley is a little smaller. I am going to have to cut up my SC bracket to get it to work.

Anyone else have this problem?? Lexus said the part has never changed but the tensioner is definitely different. The old one says Toyota on it so I know it is not aftermarket

Anyone have any ideas??

Jonny

You have a tensioner from a GS430. Yes there is a difference. Tell your Lexus parts guy to get on the ball. You need a 98 - 2000 tensioner.

Cutting your bracket you will lose one of the original mounting bolts. Not only is that a lot weaker, you will have a chance for more belt slippage or a cracked bracket down the road.
Old 03-16-06, 07:39 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trbopooh
no no no....call rod millen first. see if they have any ideas. maybe mo at srt has some ideas also? don't cut up your bracket and f up your setup.
Well I would just be cutting a notch out of it - not destroying it!! But I just can't understand how they are so different when they are supposed to be the same part

This sucks!

Jonny
Old 03-16-06, 07:53 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

seems like rmmgs4 has a little info. i would just call and just be sure. you don't want to cut the bracket and risk the structural integrity of the bracket. from what i read, the bracket is a little flimsy for those under higher boost. i think dr.g had that problem.
Old 03-16-06, 08:28 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
You have a tensioner from a GS430. Yes there is a difference. Tell your Lexus parts guy to get on the ball. You need a 98 - 2000 tensioner.
That is what I thought and what I told him based on the picture I had seen in the classifieds of a GS430 tensioner. I asked him to verify the part number which he did. I really think he is wrong but they have checked twice now

Jonny
Old 03-16-06, 08:30 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by Dx3
That is what I thought and what I told him based on the picture I had seen in the classifieds of a GS430 tensioner. I asked him to verify the part number which he did. I really think he is wrong but they have checked twice now

Jonny

OK I'll follow up with our local Lexus tech and get the low down on this.

trbopooh - Believe me, I know the RMM stuff very well, it's not just something I read. Though not currently installed, my car was one of the first to have the SC 6 years ago, so I do have some first hand knowledge about the kit and being an engineer, I understand a little about structural integrity as well.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-16-06 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-16-06, 08:37 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

trbopooh - Believe me, I know the RMM stuff very well, it's not just something I read. Though not currently installed, my car was one of the first to have the SC 6 years ago, so I do have some first hand knowledge.
Hey man,

Really appreciate your help in getting to the bottom of this for me. Here is a picture ChuckB posted of one from his GS430

(this is with the pulley removed) and it is the same, with same part number as the one I got from Carson. My old one looks similar, but not exactly the same - hence the fitment issues. Please keep me posted,

Regards,
Jonny
Old 03-16-06, 08:53 PM
RMMGS4

I already called our local Lexus tech. He knows the parts are different. What he fears is that Lexus superseded the old gs400 part with the newer (better?) gs430 part. Making the original part no longer available.

That would be your worst nightmare.

He'll check this when he gets into work tommorow.

Either he or I will post whenever he finds out the scoop.

Stay Tuned.
Old 03-16-06, 10:09 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

trbopooh - Believe me, I know the RMM stuff very well, it's not just something I read. Though not currently installed, my car was one of the first to have the SC 6 years ago, so I do have some first hand knowledge about the kit and being an engineer, I understand a little about structural integrity as well.
cool. hopefully he will get his issue resolved.
Old 03-17-06, 05:41 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe you can get one from a junkyard or Aliga if the part is no longer avaiable.
Old 03-17-06, 06:15 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

I already called our local Lexus tech. He knows the parts are different. What he fears is that Lexus superseded the old gs400 part with the newer (better?) gs430 part. Making the original part no longer available.

That would be your worst nightmare.

He'll check this when he gets into work tommorow.

Either he or I will post whenever he finds out the scoop.

Stay Tuned.
Yes,

That is what we expected ( Sockfocks and I). My tensioner still works, it is just incredibly loose and with the belt slippage we decided to replace it because it had so much play.

The problem with buying a used one from a salvage is that it has probably got play in it too which woulddefy the point of replacing my one.

(Note I say we because Sockfocks is my resident mechanic ) Thank you everyone,

Jonny
Old 03-17-06, 06:23 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has over 200K miles and no issues. I bet a used one would be okay.
Old 03-17-06, 06:27 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by morris
Mine has over 200K miles and no issues. I bet a used one would be okay.
Maybe, but mine had 110k and had a lot of play in it

Did you not run into serpentine belt slippage problems when you were running this cogged setup?

Jonny
Old 03-17-06, 10:37 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Here are some cellphone pictures of the old one. Look at the spring housing on the new one as opposed to the old one.

And then look at the little hump on the new one.

Someone plllease help!!

Jonny

Quick Reply: Anyone with RMM SC replace tensioner