Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

seeking Tanabe exhaust feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-06, 07:33 PM
csq860
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seeking Tanabe exhaust feedback

Hey guys, I'm trying to choose between the Tanabe SMH exhaust and the Tanabe Touring Medalion. Anyone with experience using either of these exhausts on your GS400 I'd appreciate your input. Thanks, Chris.
Old 03-18-06, 07:34 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the SMH and its sweet...
Old 03-18-06, 07:40 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

how're you going to get the SMH? i heard there's a call back on some of the models and they won't have more for sale until around late april.. anyways, my friend has the new touring medallion and loves it, it's supposed to be the nicest looking, most HP gain and also quietest... i think personally it's expensive lol

good luck with your decision

you should definately check out the tanabe direct website www.tanabe-usa.com and listen to the sound clips, there's also a good clip of exhausts http://www.lgwnorcal.com/videos.shtml which has the tanabe SMH..
Old 03-18-06, 10:08 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

w/ all these exhausts HP gains are very minimal.... probably 1-2 at most if any at all....

most ppl get it for mainly the sound and looks. I'm not much of a fan of the Tanabe but I love the looks & sounds of the Apexi WS2 and Blitz.... Greddy also makes a great sounding exhaust which is very aggressive, not for me though....
Old 03-19-06, 12:25 AM
csq860
Pole Position

Thanks for the opinions. You're right Kharizma the SMH is out of stock everywhere and won't be available until mid April which is way I'm looking into the Touring Medalion. I thought I had an SMH lined up but after waiting a month and a half I finally got tired and canceled the order. The guy tried to push me into an HKS but I don't dig the big round muffler look. I can get the Touring Medalion for about $150 more than I was paying for the SMH but I just don't know anybody who's used one and can gimme feedback on it.
Old 03-19-06, 01:08 AM
vinh
Lexus Champion

from all the exhausts ive heard and seen, id honestly reccomend you go with the Apexi ws2 because it is FRICKEN BEAUTIFUL and sounds straight GANGSTA!! Plus rominl has it, so its gotta be good!!
Old 03-19-06, 07:42 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Tanabe Hyper medalion, one of the greatest sound and design. I can't imagine my car with big O muffler cans, round in addition it look Ridiculous. If you're looking for exhaust go with Tanabe HM otherwise stay stock til you get what you want, you won't regret waiting............................It's only another month, 1 month

This is my personal opinion
Old 03-20-06, 10:23 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

why was there a recall on some of the hyper medallions??? does anyone know??? maybe mine will apply to this lol
Old 03-20-06, 10:06 PM
csq860
Pole Position

I don't know about any recall, I was just told they're out of stock on the SMH until mid april. Adam how do you like the SRT/Tanabe combo, if you were to do it over again would you make the same choices?
Old 03-21-06, 08:21 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

i honestly would do this same setup again.... i love it... juts wish i had a SC or Turbo up under the hood and some rims n suspension lol

Old 04-10-06, 12:43 PM
lexus_gs
Driver School Candidate

Tanabe touring is my choice.
Old 06-22-06, 11:18 AM
POPnFresHH
Driver School Candidate

WOW adam that looks super clean.... how do you like the exhaust?

btw do you have any clips??
Old 06-22-06, 11:18 AM
POPnFresHH
Driver School Candidate

btw i DO know this is an old old thread.. dont flame me. i found it unncessary to start a new one,.
Old 06-22-06, 12:01 PM
csq860
Pole Position

Sheesh I forgot all about this thread, I ended up getting the Tanabe Touring and could not be happier, it looks fantastic and sounds even better than it looks. I got mine from Steve Ganz at Carson for a really great price btw, check with him if you're interested.
Old 06-22-06, 01:06 PM
POPnFresHH
Driver School Candidate

awesome! yea the touring looks really sexy. The overall design is superb. I was considering going for a Greddy Evo2, but i heard there were issues with the tip scraping everytime there was a steep driveway..

The slimline canister on the touring prevents that I believe..Im stuck between the touring and the hyper medalion.. what to do, what to do...

Quick Reply: seeking Tanabe exhaust feedback