Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

System running rich

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 08:11 PM
jp430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System running rich

My engine light keeps coming on with a system running rich code. Any of you FI guys get this code after installing a supercharger. My AF reads 14.5 and drops to 12. when I am on the boost. I was told that it may be my o2 sensors. Any of you guys experience this? I am actually getting another code saying that my cats are not working at full capacity. I reset and the same codes come up again. Any input would be great.

Thanks

John
Old 03-22-06, 09:36 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

John,

I have not experienced this and I ran so rich at one point that I completly fouled my plugs and they wouldn't even spark Never got an CEL's on though. 12.5 and 14.0 is not running rich by any means - not sure why you would be getting this?

Good Luck,
jonny
Old 03-23-06, 09:08 PM
jp430
Driver

Any other ideas anyone?? Thanks Dx3
Old 03-23-06, 09:32 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jp430
Any other ideas anyone?? Thanks Dx3
Your long fuel trim is out of range. What size injectors are you running? Keep the fuel between -10/+10.
JPI
Old 03-23-06, 09:46 PM
jp430
Driver

Originally Posted by JPI
Your long fuel trim is out of range. What size injectors are you running? Keep the fuel between -10/+10.
JPI

Stock 2001 GS 430 injectors. Im running about 7lbs of boost
Old 03-23-06, 09:53 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

What kind of fuel controller? Are you running the i manage?
JPI
Old 03-23-06, 11:28 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

John, is the only thing that changed from running ok with no check engine codes to now, is the lower compression?
What are the code 3's your getting?
Old 03-24-06, 07:19 AM
jp430
Driver

Originally Posted by JPI
What kind of fuel controller? Are you running the i manage?
JPI
Yes, i manage

gill-

Yes, just the new shortblock with lower compression

I forget the codes, but is says system running rich and cats not running at full capacity.
Old 03-24-06, 08:15 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

your A/F #'s look close to what you posted of after your header install. I assume yuour header O2 sensors were probably removed during shor bloc install, I would check your O2 wiring and leak at you cat gasket if you re-used your old lnes.Pearlpower instaled his header on his SC430 and got errors from a leak and pulled or pinched O2 wire.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...8&page=3&pp=15

Also maybe Lextreme knows or someone else, if maybe now yourlower compression ratio does'nt need a 12 A/F untill you start adding a lot more than 7-8lb of boost.
what boost are planning to got to 10,12?

what does LMS say about it I assume they are doing your work??
Old 03-24-06, 08:30 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jp430
Yes, i manage

gill-

Yes, just the new shortblock with lower compression

I forget the codes, but is says system running rich and cats not running at full capacity.
Hit me up on aim jpimportz25. I will be able to help you out.
JPI
Old 03-24-06, 09:22 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
your A/F #'s look close to what you posted of after your header install. I assume yuour header O2 sensors were probably removed during shor bloc install, I would check your O2 wiring and leak at you cat gasket if you re-used your old lnes.Pearlpower instaled his header on his SC430 and got errors from a leak and pulled or pinched O2 wire.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...8&page=3&pp=15

Also maybe Lextreme knows or someone else, if maybe now yourlower compression ratio does'nt need a 12 A/F untill you start adding a lot more than 7-8lb of boost.
what boost are planning to got to 10,12?

what does LMS say about it I assume they are doing your work??
JPI oops I did not mean to leave you guys out. JPI are one of the few that have tried and done it and knows the Lexus motor.
But, is it any truth to my guess (and limited FI knowledge) that if you lower the compression ratio w/ everhitnng being he same the fuel requirements lessen untill you star adding quite a bit of boost??
Old 03-24-06, 12:20 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Your problem isn't the low compression, but it's your Long term fuel trim. Don't fight with the stock EcU, You are not going to win the battle. Keep it in the 10% range and your ECU will be very happy. Let's talk about bank 1 and 2 sync........ It will be a long long day . I'm not sure how good is the I manage unit. Steve at LMW didn't explaint to us very clearly. I know for the fact they are using an external fuel pump to raise fuel pressure. The deadhead system would work and it's proven on some of Is300 test cars. One of our customer has a RMM kit installed and SAFC control the fueling. After a month, the CEL would come back on. Would I suggest the SAFC from now on? Absolutely not! PCS seem like a solid set up but it's lack of timing control. Rusell currently working on it at the moment. We will keep you guys updated.
P.S: I would borrow and scanner and watch your Long fuel trim. At WOT(wide open throttle) you are in open loop so it wouldn't matter. What are the reading from 02 sensors? The narrow band will be from 0-1v and wide band is 0-5v.
JPI

Last edited by JPI Racing; 03-24-06 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-25-06, 03:11 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

JPI what is the PCS? Is this what you would recommend at this time for the RMM system?
Old 03-25-06, 05:12 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
JPI what is the PCS? Is this what you would recommend at this time for the RMM system?
This is kinna off the topic. But i;m in Denver at the moment for a Lexus training. I'm leaving sunday afternoon, if you want to meet up. Check your p.m for my cell number.
Back to the discussion here. We have the PCS unit at our shop, would like to do some testing on it. XFC is the unit.
JPI
Old 03-27-06, 01:13 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JPI
This is kinna off the topic. But i;m in Denver at the moment for a Lexus training. I'm leaving sunday afternoon, if you want to meet up. Check your p.m for my cell number.
Back to the discussion here. We have the PCS unit at our shop, would like to do some testing on it. XFC is the unit.
JPI
Sorry I didn't read this post untill late Sunday but I had to work most of the day anyway. I would love to hear more about the PCS system.
Is JPI waiting to release it after they do some testing on a GS? Is the PCS a stand alone unit?

Quick Reply: System running rich