Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

turbo on a budget?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-06, 06:05 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pheonix
The problem with this thread has, is that no i6/v8 owner has ever set out to DO a real budget minded setup. That leads to the fact that the mass opinion is that, "Oh, well it's just impossible". Which is incorrect.
Interesting read. I agree with you that the Lexus owners who have gone FI (at least the ones on CL) did not go the "budget" route. Again, no one really said it is impossible as a confluence of conditions can put an owner in a situation where the project will have minimal cost.

Still, these owners of boosted Lexus want to retain the Lexus ideology. They will not skimp too much on parts. They want an engine bay with quality, good condition parts that perform AND looks like they belong. Used, rusted parts and bad looking welds will not suffice. I would hate to be standing on the side of the road with my broken down Lexus since I skimped somewhere. I would hate for the car to sound like crap because the components were piecemeal and does not work together optimally. I concede that getting new parts does not guarantee success either, but it sure helps.

Different people have different priorities so I don't think it is wrong to go piecemeal "budget" or custom, non-budget. I just happen to agree more with the latter if you are going to build a Lexus car. I am not saying, however, to go "sky's the limit" as I don't think it is necessary.
Old 04-04-06, 08:33 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo

Still, these owners of boosted Lexus want to retain the Lexus ideology. They will not skimp too much on parts. They want an engine bay with quality, good condition parts that perform AND looks like they belong. Used, rusted parts and bad looking welds will not suffice. I would hate to be standing on the side of the road with my broken down Lexus since I skimped somewhere. I would hate for the car to sound like crap because the components were piecemeal and does not work together optimally. I concede that getting new parts does not guarantee success either, but it sure helps.

Very well put sir

Jonny
Old 04-14-06, 11:00 PM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Budget yes, but skill's and tools are required.

I did a budget kit for just over $1,100

$700 turbo
$200 exhaust manifold
$100 misc parts
$60 oil feed and return
$10 MBC
$150 wastegate

With this, you can reliaibly run 6 psi without an intercooler as long as you retard your timing.

I added another $1500

$500 map ecu
$250 EBC
$250 intercooloer
$100 piping and t-bolt clamps
$400 wideband
Free 7MGTE 440cc injectors.

So for around $2600, I can run 8-10 psi reliably.

I am now rebuilding my 230,000 mile motor and adding TT pistons ($200) and adding 720cc injectors ($300)

So for $3100 I can run 26psi and get 600RWHP. You can do the same thing with a lower milealge motor by running a thicker $150 head gasket.

There is no reason why you can't spend around $3100 to get around 600rwhp, problem with that now, is your tranny won't hold it. Plan on spending $3,000 for a built tranny.

All together to get an engine pushing a reliable 600rwhp with a tranny that can hold it, you are probably going to be between $6,000 to $7000 if you can do the work yourself.
Old 04-16-06, 08:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by SuprRunner
Budget yes, but skill's and tools are required.

I did a budget kit for just over $1,100
With this, you can reliaibly run 6 psi without an intercooler as long as you retard your timing.
So for around $2600, I can run 8-10 psi reliably.
So for $3100 I can run 26psi and get 600RWHP. You can do the same thing with a lower milealge motor by running a thicker $150 head gasket.
All together to get an engine pushing a reliable 600rwhp with a tranny that can hold it, you are probably going to be between $6,000 to $7000 if you can do the work yourself.
*If* you can do the work yourself and *if* you have all the tools, and *if* you want to devote all that time. Oh and *if* it's a GS300 because many of those parts aren't available for a GS400/430.

AFAIK everyone who got boost (s/c or turbo) on a GS400 has had problems - maybe they could work through them, some people just gave up. The GS300 seems a lot more doable because of the experience of Supras although that engine isn't VVT-i (I think).

Anyway, SuprRunner - you seem very talented, but I don't think your knowledge/skills are common for the DIYer!
Old 04-16-06, 09:04 AM
Grey Ghost
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First posty here. After searching throug in regards to NA-T and GTE setups, I was surprised by NA-T owner's testimonials. I am guessing that the availability, reliability and affordability of NA-T 2jz-ge engines, it would be wise to go in NA-T direction. In regards to engine management, what do you guys run? I am wondering if standalone, such as haltech and megasquirt, might be a possiblity. I noticed that many Aussies and New Zealanders are on celicasupra and supraforums and they are crazy about megasquirt when tuning Toyota, especially AE86. They did wonders for people in the States. Is anyone running a standalone for their NA-T setup?
Old 04-17-06, 09:10 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
*If* you can do the work yourself and *if* you have all the tools, and *if* you want to devote all that time. Oh and *if* it's a GS300 because many of those parts aren't available for a GS400/430.

AFAIK everyone who got boost (s/c or turbo) on a GS400 has had problems - maybe they could work through them, some people just gave up. The GS300 seems a lot more doable because of the experience of Supras although that engine isn't VVT-i (I think).

Anyway, SuprRunner - you seem very talented, but I don't think your knowledge/skills are common for the DIYer!
GS400/430 is competly different. Doing that on a budget would be a lot harder.

The GS300/supra/sc300 is pretty easy, and with minimal skills, you can do it on a budget. Getting the turbo and oil lines bolted up is pretty easy, and you don't need mad skills. But when it does come time for the exhaust and intake piping, well, unless you have a welder and know how to weld, you will need to take that someplace else. Plan on spending another $600-$1000 for that.
Old 04-17-06, 09:12 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost
First posty here. After searching throug in regards to NA-T and GTE setups, I was surprised by NA-T owner's testimonials. I am guessing that the availability, reliability and affordability of NA-T 2jz-ge engines, it would be wise to go in NA-T direction. In regards to engine management, what do you guys run? I am wondering if standalone, such as haltech and megasquirt, might be a possiblity. I noticed that many Aussies and New Zealanders are on celicasupra and supraforums and they are crazy about megasquirt when tuning Toyota, especially AE86. They did wonders for people in the States. Is anyone running a standalone for their NA-T setup?

I really like the MAP-ECU, which was developed in New Zealand. Havn't had any experience with the Megasquirt, but I have a friend with an all-trac celica that I will be tuning within the next few weeks. I will let you know what I think of it.
Old 04-17-06, 10:03 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Map ECU had been giving Bing fits with his Turbod GS300, the OEM ecu trys to compensate for the MAP ECU and they wind up fighting each other. I think he has overcome the problem buy hooking up a device that basicvally resets the ECU everytiome you turn off the car. So if forgets anything it has learned. So far it seems to be working.

I wont comment on the budget issue
Old 04-17-06, 10:11 AM
SuprRunner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by morris
Map ECU had been giving Bing fits with his Turbod GS300, the OEM ecu trys to compensate for the MAP ECU and they wind up fighting each other. I think he has overcome the problem buy hooking up a device that basicvally resets the ECU everytiome you turn off the car. So if forgets anything it has learned. So far it seems to be working.

I wont comment on the budget issue

Seems some have issues and some don't. Personally I think if the ECU is trying to fight the MAP-ECU, the map is soo far off the ECU tries to fight it. I for one have not had many issues, but never the ECU fighting the MAP-ECU. Powerhouse was able to tune any car with a MAP-ECU and not have issues.
Old 04-17-06, 10:17 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it could be the tuner, I hadnt considered that.

Thyanks.
Old 04-17-06, 10:36 AM
Lvangundy

I'm not sure what it is, but that jumbled mess of backyard turbo parts seems fun and interesting. Maybe not on "our" cars..but still.
Old 04-17-06, 09:42 PM
Grey Ghost
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SuprRunner
I really like the MAP-ECU, which was developed in New Zealand. Havn't had any experience with the Megasquirt, but I have a friend with an all-trac celica that I will be tuning within the next few weeks. I will let you know what I think of it.
I would like to hear what your friend thinks. Many people from down under and in the States love the result of a fully tuned megasquirt. I am in no way promoting megasquirt. Since this is a "turbo on a budget" I was just curious if anyone was running it. Majority of AE86 guys are on a very tight budget, thus cannot afford expensive ecu management. They resort to megasquirt (for those who are not familiar, it converts air flow meter to map censor) instead of jdm map ecu. The cost of map ecu and a fully functional megasquirt is about same (megasquirt is little less than map ecu depending on what version you get and who tunes it; DIY is always cheaper ), but you get a full standalone from megasquirt that is capable of 99% of what PowerFC or F-Con Pro does and it costs a lot less. Conceptually, 2jz-ge NA-T setup should be similar to a turbo-4age setup. Simply, you are adding a turbo setup on a NA engine. And if many people have successfully tuned their turbo-4age setup with megasqurit or other standalones, I don't see why not it can't be done with a 2jz-ge NA-T setup.
Old 04-19-06, 06:04 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Then, for people with extra money. There is the current "unbeatable" king of the serious DIY welding combo's. The Harbor Frieght TIG. For $500 you can get a good little tig with RODS AND GAS.
. Which is incorrect.

Do you have a link to this welder? Icant seem to find it on their site??
Old 06-05-06, 08:38 AM
samster
Pole Position

lol 15k sounds steep but when u pop ur hood people be drooling
why does everyone thinks u need to be a millionaire to run a turbo and have power

and i think some of u guys got it twisted the debate here isnt about look of the kit its bout functional, why the hell do all u guys act like a lexus is all that? lols i mean i love toyotas n lexus they are nice cars but no way am i gonna to make them sound like they are dream machines.
whats is wrong with placing a used turbo from a factory turbo car? for known fact u can have a reliable factory toyota CT-26 off old supras and mr2's to run atleast 12-15lbs, as injectors go every thought about the junkyard? think bout it how many LB fuel injectors do alot of those big cars run? as for a manifold that is prolly the only issue that u can use more money for as the guy quesitons if a kit could be done around a budget of 10k-13k that is way more then enough to even swap out the GE block with TT pistons n oil squirters. gs4's aren't rilly in this picture of a budget setup in my view because im not sure of the 1u specs and whats have been accomplished. but as far as i go i've been on supras since my 1st whip. i've seen plenty of 7m ge NA-t setups that can over power a 7m-gte and more reliable. 've followed up on many 2j na-t conversions and i can say i seen ghetto rigg before lols its just, i guess ur guys are to highy place and believe a GS is god lolz.

so stop debatin cause

1) power n reliably at first case doesnt go together -=) unless u run a 2j motor which all u gs3 guys do have

2) looks(shiny intercooler piping and garrett turbo) don't make any diffent power then mild steel piping a factory turbo and scarp intercoolers. did u guys know (440cc can be found in supras date back to like 86? and rx7 ihad 550 i believe cars such as mustangs etc)

3) if u can afford nice shiny piping n turbo kudos i sweat a nice clean engine bay i can eat off of,
but if u took the time u can also DIY polish every junk yard scrap u put in ur lex and it will look shiny and NON-factory.

4) just cause it looks better might not mean it runs better! just because ur friend bought someones kit that didnt work for his max. one either means ur friend doesnt know jack dittly crap or he just go ripped off in the dark. (don't judge a books by its cover kids) i have seen ghetto as rigged jobs that will produce more then enough power.

5) theres a will theres a way ever head of this one? it will most definty work a relible kit for a cheap price and yes i do think 5grand is alot cheaper then you guys 1sst postes of 15k that is just plain * silly stunts. why invest 15k on a car thats only worth 15k more or less?

6) if u guys know u guys own 2j'z the motor everyone would die for mabe you guys should follow up on ur own motors alil bit more the motor screams for attention by screamin reliablity. you guys have th emost infamous motor of all in todays world on reliablity and a budget turbo kit and yet u guys still arguin that it can't be done. its plan facts that can prove manys have done it before

look n **** thats ur prefferance man like i said who doenst like looks, but some people rather spend money on **** that works and more crap to make it work better. then to just throw it out all on looks. i honestly can say if u gave me 15k buget to spend n the damn car that car would be a beast mabe like a 1000+ hp car but he said 5-6psi of boost not 5-6 bars dudes~! now guys where is the love? and stop the hate. honestly the dude put tons of money in ur guys pockets, because i kinda follow his system i don't wanna waste to much on stuff like that if i dont have too and i've been doin so since. its all prefferance u guys are debating bout. u can do anything.
u can make a MBC out of homedepot vavles. spoolin isnt nothin more then more air more fuel more power. so study right and see what u can do for fuelin and then ur set.

standalone guys u guys every heard of wolf? i've seen thats what alot of people use for the price they can afford.
Old 06-05-06, 10:29 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks everyone. i have been reading the posts but i have not posted back. im still looking into this as a doable within budget. i never mentioned a price but im thinking of some what around 3k. i know you can buy all the parts some used and some new within this range. i still havent gotten an answer if i would need to run something like the aem ems. im trying to run the turbo using the stock ecu since id be boosting low. any more thought?

Quick Reply: turbo on a budget?