Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supercharged GS4's!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 08:50 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by alsilverbullet
My quote on what you said was simply to state that such a project can be expensive. Obviously you took it the wrong way and misread my comment You recently responded to a recent thread of mine with a comment that was uncalled for and surprising. I do not respond to your threads on boost but considering you posted on my thread I felt obliged to put you on the spot and ask when you were going FI . To make derogatory jabs & call my car a heap is really taking it far & uncalled for because never once did I say anything negative about your car but simply ask you when you were going to step up to the plate..........
comments were called for in the the other thread for they way you handle things is just plain wrong period .. you know it and i know and many around us know it to ...

dont try and smooth it over , learn how to treat people the way you want to be treated as far as your car being a heap , you are too thin skinned , its a scarcastic expression seeing the current shape your car is in , despite it all you know from back then i have always had made respect for that mk3 of yours esp seeing you are the original owner ..
Old 04-10-06, 09:10 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 18 Posts

I am not going to drag out this thread but will simply say you dont have all the facts in this matter and I would appreciate it if you stay out of my business.

Good luck with your performance endeavors

Last edited by alsilverbullet; 04-11-06 at 05:03 AM.
Old 04-10-06, 09:33 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
a good friend of mine put it best " to boost or not to boost is not the question , the question is do you have enough capital to TRULY fund your decision ""

Originally Posted by alsilverbullet
It is interesting that you would make such a comment! I must agree that this is very true! " you must have the capital to fund" I am sure some of us that have spent copious amounts of money for performance can attest to that.

Nonetheless I pose a question to you; All you talk about is boost but you have never stepped up to the plate : I am sure a lot of people on CL especially us locals want to know when we will see this boosted GS or SC you have been talking about for the past 3 years?
There was a song by Barry White in which his chorus was (With A Real Deep Voice) "practice what you preach". I always liked that song.

As for the original question to this post, Yes I do think its a good deal and priced well but there are things you are gonna need to make this kit much better and investing money to this base price is going to be needed but that doesn't mean you can't get this kit and run it as is for now. Look this is a very hard to get kit and most who have put a little more money into it have gotten real nice results. 100 rwhp extra is nothing to sneeze at, your talking about 350rwhp. You can always get the kit and save up the other money needed to get this kit up to par. These aren't going to be around in the classifieds very often.
Old 04-10-06, 09:44 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Al, Ed - please exit this thread and take the arguements to PM. Thank you

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-10-06 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-10-06, 10:10 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

such a dillema :-\ i don't know what to do!

i don't want to put THAT much money into this kit, lol i mean i'm lookin' at spendin' around $6-$7k even that is a bit much lol

i don't want my engine life to be effected or the reliability of my car to lessen as a result of me doing FI
Old 04-10-06, 10:33 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the price for the kit is a good price. But you still need to factor in some back up funds for the OH **** days or when you get boost hungry and want more.

If you really want to boost, get the kit now since you hardly see it for sale. You can always add parts along the way to make it run better and better. Start off with a low boost pulley like how RMM intended. Then upgrade the pulley when you have enough funds to install the fuel management and tuning, valvebody upgrade for the tranny for better shifting. Save your money and not buy gauges. You dont really need it on a supercharged car. You wont get boost spikes or overboost.

like the saying goes... "You gots to pay to play"
Old 04-10-06, 10:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Kharizma

i don't want my engine life to be effected or the reliability of my car to lessen as a result of me doing FI

It will. Our engines were not made for FI.
Old 04-10-06, 10:39 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

r u FI'd mikal? hm.. this is a hard decision.. so you're saying i can just buy the kit, install it and it'll still give me extra power without messing up my engine and such? 'cause i don't want mad HP lol i already know how that effects people, i've had people in my club that get boost hungry and i was there helpin' them every night, through all hours rebuilding their engines and getting things to work right again i just want a reasonable amount of hp gain and i want the SC mainly for the intercooler look haha and just to say "hey i have it, i don't need to go fast 'cause it's a luxury car but i still have it" but if it's gonna compromise my engine life and reliability i don't think i want to put my engine through that.
Old 04-10-06, 10:44 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kharizma
Jonny, if you don't mind me asking, why wouldn't you do it again? do you think the cost is worth the FI gains?
Well,

I had my sc installed in November - it is now April and I still have not driven the car more than 70 miles since the install.

There is no fuel management for our cars that will take care of timing etc. I ran into belt slippage problems, then a bad tensioner that cannot be replaced because the new ones do not fit the supercharger bracket. My return line on my power steering is leaking - which I would say is directly related to the supercharger.

You will need a valve body upgrade. You will not be happy with running a 3.00 pulley - you will want more boost than that gives.

I did 360rwhp last time I was at the dyno and was having bad belt slippage. I have not been back since I got that taken care of. I expect to be up to about 400rwhp now, but I don't give my transmission long at that amount of power.

So figure I gained somewhere in the region of 120 rwhp and I have spent at least $9000. That works out at $75 per 1 rwhp. Is that worth it??? NO. Would you spent $300 for 4rwhp?

I would say you would want a budget of $12,000 when it is all said and done, as well as a daily driver. Your motor will only hold up so long, as will your transmission.

These are a few of the many reasons I would not go FI unless you can do what I said directly above.

It is pretty pimp though

Jonny
Old 04-10-06, 10:48 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Yes i got a supercharged GS300. (In the planning stages of something better ' )
anything that adds more power that didnt come from factory would compromise the engine life.

I dont have a rmm sc'd gs4 but i know that when they designed it.. there were no fuel management that was needed for it w/ the low low boost.

If you're the type of person that worries about the life of the engine. Forced Induction is not for you.

Maybe what you need is just a torque convertor, Valve body upgrade, and the supra tt LSD pumpkin.
Old 04-10-06, 11:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mikal

Maybe what you need is just a torque convertor, Valve body upgrade, and the supra tt LSD pumpkin.

In addition, a Tornado. As seen on TV
Old 04-11-06, 05:08 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

It is a good price for the kit and everything that is included. If you stay with the 3.00 pulley notice I said if! Then my opinion is that you will have many miles of fun driving.

There are several people that have had great levels of success with the RMM kit as long as they stayed with the 3.12 or 3.00 pulley.
Dave GS4 and Jamie both come to mind

The kit is limited in terms of upgradeabillity, so dont plan on being able to dial in more hp later down the road. Chances are you wont be able to. I spent a ton of cash trying to turn up the power on my RMM SC'd GS4 and was unable to do so.

If you think you will want to be able to increse the HP at a later time then I would go with a turbo setup. So if you are planning on 6K save up an additonal 3K, if this is the route you want to go.

The reason I changed to turbo was becasue I could not get the additional pwer I wanted out of the SC.

Figure on a custom turbo for around 10K, but then you have infinite (well close) adjustabillity

Torque converter, gears, lsd etc all wake up the car but it doesnt compare to 7pounds of boost
No it isnt an easy road to go FI and it does cost, but it is fun and exciting and indescribable to drive.
Old 04-11-06, 06:26 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Al, Ed - please exit this thread and take the arguements to PM. Thank you

dave and to the others (excluding blue) my apologies , i am just getting tired of the constant attacks and jabs as to why dont i put up or shut up , or step up to the plate .. everytime i am in some thread about FI this is what i get dave.. i am not in the practice of throwing money away at things proven to some degree to be a money waster period..

again dave mu apologies for polluting this thread with the nonsense but one day i will have boost , somehow someway
Old 04-11-06, 08:53 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

so if i go FI and just use low boost, around 5psi like RMM suggests, then my engine will be fine? i know i won't get boost hungry 'cause GS' are big cars and they won't get up to compete with the TT Supra's in my city lol but it's all good 'cause it's still a LEX

do you think 5psi is good? i'm gonna use the RMM pulley and everything.. i'm not gonna up the boost lol i'm just gonna leave it at 5psi for the life of my car.. do you think my engine life will be effected a LOT? a little? i thought superchargers were better for engines vs. turbo? i know the maintanence is easier for SC's
Old 04-11-06, 08:55 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexforlife
dave and to the others (excluding blue) my apologies , i am just getting tired of the constant attacks and jabs as to why dont i put up or shut up , or step up to the plate .. everytime i am in some thread about FI this is what i get dave.. i am not in the practice of throwing money away at things proven to some degree to be a money waster period..

again dave mu apologies for polluting this thread with the nonsense but one day i will have boost , somehow someway

my name is dave too (well, david) and i accept your apology *sniff* how sweet lol jk and whether or not you decide to go FI or not, who cares, it's what you want and what you think is worth it i do the same thing, i think about things over and over and over until finally, i decide either to go with or go against something..

Quick Reply: Supercharged GS4's!!!