Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Do you keep VSC turned ON or OFF?
I leave VSC on
77.66%
I turn VSC off when I start my GS
22.34%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

VSC on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 10:11 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now adays that will get you a breathlizer test, tresspassing, reckless driving charge, fines and handcuffs.

Whats the world coming too

Originally Posted by bmgs400
That is very true. Leave it on and be safe, unless you know what you're doing.

Before all this computer stuff stated making cars safer, we use to take cars to large empty parking lots on weekends or at night and practice recovery. I grew up in Ohio so there was plenty of snow and icy conditions. My Dad took me to the bowling alley parking lot when I was 16, we took his 73 Pontiac GrandPrix (402 ci) automatic and rear wheel drive..of course. He had me do fish-tails and hard braking to see what happens if you get into these situations. He taught me how to recover and control the direction the the car by pumping the brakes and steering correctly. Sometimes a slide turns into a 180 degree rotation or worse and you can't do much about it at that point but pray.
Old 04-17-06, 11:09 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
Now adays that will get you a breathlizer test, tresspassing, reckless driving charge, fines and handcuffs.

Whats the world coming too
Haha...you're right. Well coming from a small midwest rail-road/farming town, everyone knew everyone...never got in trouble...except in neighboring towns. And even then, they'd let us go after threatening to call the high school principal and our parents.
Old 04-18-06, 08:32 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't do a power slide with it on. True driving enthusiasts turn it off on the track and on back roads. I keep it off in the twisties
Old 04-18-06, 08:26 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i leave mine on ... good thing because i went touge at berressa i needed it almost lost control 3 times ?? boost boost roomate kept rushing me on turns ....

im like i have 19s ??? anywho .. the car is in great condition ... and i know my limit .... i believe little less than 65 entering turns haha

i will probally leave it off now a days i am a great driver ... and i could conserve gas milage too

its just a cruser now adays .....
Old 07-05-06, 05:37 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

It usually depends on the condition outside. Usually for city driving I turn the VSC off. I usually turn it on when I get on the highway tho, don't want any wheelspin at high speeds.
Old 07-05-06, 08:39 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I leave mine on unless the situation calls to have it turned off.

Here's why: at my old job, the boss had just purchased a new '03 BMW M5 (Carbon black/black/wood). He had been driving a '91 Acura Legend Coupe previously, so this was a big step-up.

The boss-man used to like to play with the car with the traction control off. One morning on the way to the office, he was doing his usual routine with the big Beemer (he had only had the car about three weeks) - traction control off, casually drifting the car around the corners of the industrial complex near our office. It was early and the streets were empty; a slight fog and morning dew were present.

Just down the street from the office, he downshifted into second gear and booted it gently as he entered a 90 degree left turn. The back end slid right. And right. And further right. He had a fair amount of momentum, and kept in it, knowing if he lifted he would encounter a snap-oversteer situation.

The rear of the car kept yawing to the right while the nose went left. BANG; the tires found the curb on the left side of the road. The BMW's nose climbed the curb where it was abruptly stopped by the concrete light post. The airbags never deployed.

Just as tried regain his composure and collect his thoughts he wondered: "I wonder if that light pole is going to fall over." Sure enough, the impact caused the pole to snap, causing it to fall DIRECTLY on the roof of the new BMW. He closed his eyes, anticipating the impact; there was nothing he could do now. With a deafening crash, the roof caved in and every window in the car blew out.

The car had 1200 miles on it and was a complete write-off.

He replaced it with a Lemans Blue/two tone black/blue interior/aluminum trim 2004 M5.

I've had my GS sideways on a few occasions. All but one were done on purpose. One time I had forgotten that I had previously turned the VSC off. 3800 pounds of sedan's **** swinging around on you mid-corner can be quite eye opening!
I am sorry, but your old boss' driving sux...should have gone to a track instead of practicing idiotic stuff on city streets.
Old 07-06-06, 09:08 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

why was this moved to Engine section?
this thread has nothing to do with the engine
Old 07-06-06, 10:10 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe because VSC is a function of the engine and or transmission and how it operates?

This is the engine and transmission section.
Old 07-06-06, 03:13 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by morris
maybe because VSC is a function of the engine and or transmission and how it operates?

This is the engine and transmission section.
i thought VSC only decreases amount of power to the wheels during a slip, nothing to do with engine
its more to do with the electronic sensors and such

well anyways, ive tried driving with VSC off a few times but just dont feel safe enuf without it
always thought about those "what ifs"
Old 07-11-06, 11:48 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

I always keep my power ect on In regards to the vsc off I mostly have it on otherwise between the PI-TC and 3:76 LSD I would always be smoking tires. Every now and then on a hot dry day I may turn it off when I want to play a little
Old 07-19-06, 02:03 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

how often has VSC beeped for u guys?
Old 07-19-06, 06:28 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Under hard acceleration in rain or snow. I still remember the first time it went off. I was making a left turn (I still had my stock air box) and it started beeping, I thought it was my phone.