Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Finally Installed (Insert Guess Here)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-06, 06:19 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dx3
What was your install cost??
Jonny
Install cost depends on the ((hours x shop rate) - discounts). I was the first install for this shop, RMMGS4 will be the second. They have settled on 10 hours based upon my car - this could go down based upon experience with more cars. Others with experience and access to a shop have personally done the work in less time - but I'll let them add details if they so choose...

Old 04-18-06, 01:20 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redgs4
Install cost depends on the ((hours x shop rate) - discounts). I was the first install for this shop, RMMGS4 will be the second. They have settled on 10 hours based upon my car - this could go down based upon experience with more cars. Others with experience and access to a shop have personally done the work in less time - but I'll let them add details if they so choose...

Well let's hope the hours charged goes down. They called me at lunchtime today and they had the stock headers out already. So that must of taken around 3 hours max.

As a side note, they also had to remove the TOMs LCB and the engine cover and STB on top since both of us have these mods. This adds to the labor cost obviously.

Not sure if they finished today, probably not, but for sure I'll pick up the car tomorrow.

They called me so I could go down to take pics of the new headers before the install, since I had them shipped directly to the shop after being Jet Hot coated.

I am one of the few that ordered their headers without jet hot coating.

Reason being I had some other mods done to the headers.

Here's a few pics.

First off I went with the Black Jet Hot coating, for a stealth look. Need to pass visual on CA smog inspection. Didn't want the shiny silver to attract attention. Those who know the S & S headers will note that I had the seams around the tubes against the header flange welded. There was a bead on the inside, but another bead on the outside was cheap insurance to prevent leaks or cracking, especially cuz I ported the header flange openings on the inside to match up with the head.

Another mod was to add a second bung so I would be future ready to install an O2 sensor for my AF meter.

Since this is redgs4's thread, I'll save my other shots for a future post. This will include a shot of the special tool my shop used to take the bolts out a lot easier than what I have read others do.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-18-06 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-18-06, 01:44 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

looks great Glen!!, i'm still debating on the labor cost for the headers, btw can you pm me with the extra cost of the welding and coating. thanks
Old 04-18-06, 01:58 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by GSing430
looks great Glen!!, i'm still debating on the labor cost for the headers, btw can you pm me with the extra cost of the welding and coating. thanks

No need for PM.

Welding flanges $20 at Midas in Fremont.

Jet hot was $241

Hopefully John has the hang of it after 2 installs and will charge a fair price.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-18-06 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-18-06, 04:32 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Nice pics Glen. I like the black jet hot coating. But in the end I don't think it matters. Whether looking from the engine bay downward or even from below with the car on a lift, I could not see any part of the headers except where they bolt to the cats.
Old 04-18-06, 05:40 PM
RMMGS4

Nice pics Glen. I like the black jet hot coating. But in the end I don't think it matters. Whether looking from the engine bay downward or even from below with the car on a lift, I could not see any part of the headers except where they bolt to the cats.
Yeah, they are almost impossible to see as it is, but I had a choice to go black so what the heck.

Drove around a little today after picking up the car at lunch time. Man I love the way it opens up over 3k rpm. I can't believe how much audible change I am hearing with these headers. One of the sweetest V8 sounds I've heard on a GS yet, meaty but refined, but still quiet at idle or low level cruising.

I do feel a good amount of low end torque. The car is also noticeably more responsive now at low and high speed. It just pulls great any time I get on it. Let's see what the dyno says this weekend.

I am getting tempted to do the Hameed mod and take out resonators and add an x pipe, but I'll do it with a twist. I'll try the same thing only different.

Stay Tuned.
Old 04-18-06, 06:23 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Yeah, they are almost impossible to see as it is, but I had a choice to go black so what the heck.

Drove around a little today after picking up the car at lunch time. Man I love the way it opens up over 3k rpm. I can't believe how much audible change I am hearing with these headers. One of the sweetest V8 sounds I've heard on a GS yet, meaty but refined, but still quiet at idle or low level cruising.

I do feel a good amount of low end torque. The car is also noticeably more responsive now at low and high speed. It just pulls great any time I get on it. Let's see what the dyno says this weekend.

I am getting tempted to do the Hameed mod and take out resonators and add an x pipe, but I'll do it with a twist. I'll try the same thing only different.

Stay Tuned.
Congratulations!!!!! That is just awesome reading about how the SS Headers feel and affect the performance!

Definitely looking forward to the dyno numbers!

Would love to see the "twist" in your exhaust setup. I am sure whatever you do it will sound just plain awesome!
Old 04-18-06, 06:31 PM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on the instal. Can't wait to see the numbers
Old 04-18-06, 06:36 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by Hameed
Congratulations!!!!! That is just awesome reading about how the SS Headers feel and affect the performance!

Definitely looking forward to the dyno numbers!

Would love to see the "twist" in your exhaust setup. I am sure whatever you do it will sound just plain awesome!
Hameed

You are one of the Pioneers of CL.

It looks like a few of the veteran members are feeling the need to step it up with new or rarely seen mods.

A year from now a bunch of newbies will talk about your set up as one of their 1st mod options.

I think this year we are going to gain new ground in our never ending quest for performance and style.

It's what I call "The Passionate Pursuit of : The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection" .

Hey just found my new sig saying.
Old 04-18-06, 07:22 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Hameed

You are one of the Pioneers of CL.

It looks like a few of the veteran members are feeling the need to step it up with new or rarely seen mods.

A year from now a bunch of newbies will talk about your set up as one of their 1st mod options.

I think this year we are going to gain new ground in our never ending quest for performance and style.

It's what I call "The Passionate Pursuit of : The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection" .

Hey just found my new sig saying.
You're too kind Glen. Me a pioneer? I'm just a puppy compared to some of you veterans.

The only other two performance mods I can possibly do are the Apexi SAFC II and the SS headers. Hopefully will do the SAFC sometime this summer and the headers maybe next year.

I have every other performance mod other than those two. FI is not in the cards for me.
Old 04-18-06, 11:14 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Hameed, I saw your exhaust thread and thought now there's my next mod. I'm with you as far as no FI - I'm about as far as I'm going to go - so squeezing every last ounce from the existing mods is the challenge.

We have had some nice weather the last couple of days and I have had a chance to play. Between the suspension work and headers the car has been a joy to drive.

As I mentioned in the Sways/Bushings thread - (I'm going to quote myself) - Headers: No big increase in noise - did notice that the roar is a bit deeper in the mid RPM. Feels like there is more lower RPM torque but hard to quantify. Smooth power through-out the RPM range and AF ratio is good without any adjustment.

Old 04-18-06, 11:19 PM
RMMGS4

My exhaust note is quite deep and gutsy whenever I get on it from 3k up and at WOT.

We'll have to compare to see if our exhausts have a different tone. My car never sounded this deep before.

It somehow might be the combination with the SRT intake I'm currently borrowing.
Old 04-19-06, 07:04 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Hameed, I saw your exhaust thread and thought now there's my next mod. I'm with you as far as no FI - I'm about as far as I'm going to go - so squeezing every last ounce from the existing mods is the challenge.
Trust me, you ought to do the exhaust mod, you will absolutely love it! The car is definitely more responsive and the sound is just the icing on the cake.

We have had some nice weather the last couple of days and I have had a chance to play. Between the suspension work and headers the car has been a joy to drive.

As I mentioned in the Sways/Bushings thread - (I'm going to quote myself) - Headers: No big increase in noise - did notice that the roar is a bit deeper in the mid RPM. Feels like there is more lower RPM torque but hard to quantify. Smooth power through-out the RPM range and AF ratio is good without any adjustment.
The SS headers are becoming more and more attractive.............
Old 04-20-06, 07:02 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need for PM.

Welding flanges $20 at Midas in Fremont.

Jet hot was $241

Hopefully John has the hang of it after 2 installs and will charge a fair price.
Glenn,so to hijack the tread, is there a concern that A/F sensor my get too hot there I read somewhere that it should be at least 24" from the ehgine block. and not get heated over 800 degrees. Another thought is that since the factory puts the OEM one there it should be OK
Old 04-20-06, 10:35 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
Glenn,so to hijack the tread, is there a concern that A/F sensor my get too hot there I read somewhere that it should be at least 24" from the ehgine block. and not get heated over 800 degrees. Another thought is that since the factory puts the OEM one there it should be OK
The factory O2 sensors are already in that location. All I did was add a second threaded bung for my independent O2 sensor when I hook up my wideband down the road.

Also the sensors are both pointed downwards so as far as heat radiation, the sensors are facing away from most of it.

The rule of thumb of 24" sounds reasonable, but since the factory set up doesn't follow this I assume it's OK.

Thanks for the note of concern though.

Quick Reply: Finally Installed (Insert Guess Here)