Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Finally Installed (Insert Guess Here)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-06, 12:00 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally Installed (Insert Guess Here)

Here's a picture of the car with the newly installed <_______>. I can't keep the darn car clean with all the rain.

Old 04-15-06, 12:03 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Ok - so not a good picture. For those that guessed PIAA silicone wipers I'll give you partial credit. Here's what came out of the car.

Old 04-15-06, 12:04 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Here's the best picture I have of what went into the car.

Old 04-15-06, 12:28 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

And that just kills me. I've had the darn headers for about half a year and never took a picture. I had some custom welding done around the flanges on the block side (very nice work) and I still did not take any pictures. I even picked up some header paint and "aged" the headers to better comply with the visual portion of the smog inspection - and I still didn't get any pictures. I dropped my car off at the shop to get the darn things installed but forgot my camera. I went back the next morning with a camera and they were done. My only excuse is everything from the welding onward happened in the last two days.

Don't ask (yet). I have only had a couple chances to open her up and I can't say there's a night and day difference like the TC. I had an SAFCII installed last week and intend to get tuned the local dyno this week.

What's also very interesting is I'm the third Norcal guy to get headers installed this week and a fourth will be done this Monday.

And now would be a good time to mention the Norcal Dyno day. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/announcement.php?f=184 For those in the greater SF bay area please check out the Norcal Forums for updates. Aside from the events on Dyno Day, several of the Norcal regulars have been visiting Dynospot over the last several weeks to get real dyno data on various combinations of mods.

And soon after DynoDay we plan to have at least one pilgrimage to Sacramento Raceway and/or Infineon to do some serious 1/4 mile head to head. It may be the last chance I have to beat RMMGS4 before his next round of mods put him out of reach.

Last edited by redgs4; 04-15-06 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-15-06, 12:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well seeing how "old" the previous stock headers were, it's time for some new ones

congrats chris, can't wait for your feedback
Old 04-15-06, 01:46 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redgs4
It may be the last chance I have to beat RMMGS4 before his next round of mods put him out of reach.

HAHAHA. LOL. You are still trying, huh?
Old 04-15-06, 10:47 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
well seeing how "old" the previous stock headers were, it's time for some new ones congrats chris, can't wait for your feedback
That will be my excuse at the smog station - the old ones were falling apart.

Originally Posted by Neo
HAHAHA. LOL. You are still trying, huh?
Never give up, never surrender. If I can't beat him this time around I'll have to start removing weight to counter his FI.

Old 04-15-06, 10:54 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Wow! How did your headers turn out like that?
Do you drive without a hood???

But if you're worried about the smog, you should always have those old ones in the trunk for
proof

Oh btw, that's a real nice red GS you have there
Old 04-15-06, 10:59 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice GS as well.. Looks like a fresh new coat of wax on there...
Old 04-15-06, 11:49 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you know the hp / tq gains? and what kind of rims are those? looks really good. how do the headers work with your exhaust [if you have one]? is it loud?
Old 04-15-06, 02:06 PM
GSing430
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

And that just kills me. I've had the darn headers for about half a year and never took a picture. I had some custom welding done around the flanges on the block side (very nice work) and I still did not take any pictures. I even picked up some header paint and "aged" the headers to better comply with the visual portion of the smog inspection - and I still didn't get any pictures. I dropped my car off at the shop to get the darn things installed but forgot my camera. I went back the next morning with a camera and they were done. My only excuse is everything from the welding onward happened in the last two days.

that's okay, i had a visual of your headers when i stopped by on thurs. i was curious as to way your headers looked the way they did. now i know why they look the way they do. what was the purpose of the welding?

check your pm
Old 04-15-06, 02:31 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSing430
that's okay, i had a visual of your headers when i stopped by on thurs. i was curious as to way your headers looked the way they did. now i know why they look the way they do. what was the purpose of the welding? check your pm
Doh! And you didn't take any pictures?

John recommended getting the extra welding done to prevent cracking/failure at that point. He has seen welds of the type used on the SS fail (this no way implies that the welds will fail - simply anecdotal). I showed the headers to a couple of car guys at work and both said the exact same thing. Again, not trying to imply anything - I'm sure SS knows what they are doing. Given the labor involved with install getting the welds done was cheap insurance.

Old 04-15-06, 02:45 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Oh btw, that's a real nice red GS you have there
Originally Posted by tmf2004
Nice GS as well.. Looks like a fresh new coat of wax on there...
Thanks - always appreciate the compliments. Car actually has not been waxed since the EOS Meet 5/6 months back. But it was washed last week - finished just as the rain started coming down.
Originally Posted by Kharizma
do you know the hp / tq gains? and what kind of rims are those? looks really good. how do the headers work with your exhaust [if you have one]? is it loud?
Four Norcal GS's just had headers installed and all will be dynoed over the next couple of weeks. I'm pretty interested in the HP/TQ gains myself. 20" HRE 540R. I'm running the Tom's exhaust now but have retained the stock center section with the cats & resonator. My overall setup is actually very quiet - my wife even commented on that as I sat revving in her work parking lot.

Old 04-15-06, 03:36 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks - always appreciate the compliments. Car actually has not been waxed since the EOS Meet 5/6 months back. But it was washed last week - finished just as the rain started coming down.

Four Norcal GS's just had headers installed and all will be dynoed over the next couple of weeks. I'm pretty interested in the HP/TQ gains myself. 20" HRE 540R. I'm running the Tom's exhaust now but have retained the stock center section with the cats & resonator. My overall setup is actually very quiet - my wife even commented on that as I sat revving in her work parking lot.

We just ran the first dyno test on one of our 4 cars yesterday. Good results, however some quite interesting discoveries. I wish it were as easy as just reporting HP./ TQ and that's it, but it's not.

Let just say that we definitely want to see how the other three cars do next week before reporting our findings.

I'm dropping off my car at the shop this evening so that the header work can get started on Monday.
Old 04-15-06, 05:01 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What was your install cost??

Jonny

Quick Reply: Finally Installed (Insert Guess Here)