Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How much did you pay for GS400 header install?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-06, 05:44 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How much did you pay for GS400 header install?

Guys,

Just trying to get a ball park price of how much everyone is paying to get the S&S Headers installed on their GS400.

I did search but thought if we could get it all compiled into one list it would be easier to manage/read.

Jonny
Old 04-16-06, 07:26 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably looking at around 400-500. Why not get some friends over and make it a weekend diy? Hardest part is getting the stock manifold off. After that, everythings goes pretty easy.
Old 04-16-06, 08:30 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trbopooh
Probably looking at around 400-500. Why not get some friends over and make it a weekend diy? Hardest part is getting the stock manifold off. After that, everythings goes pretty easy.
LOL - I think my friends are getting sick of spending every weekend over here trying to get this damn supercharger perfect In fact, I am thinking of putting LexusFTW and Sockfocks on my payroll!!

Jonny
Old 04-16-06, 09:35 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

HA HA HA...Yeah, I suppose my friends are also getting sick and tired everytime I get something for my car cuz you know what that means. I think if you read through the install tips and look at the pics that jbrady and others did, it would help cut down on install time. I know it did when I did mine. I think someone even installed it themselves in one weekend. Just think about it. I don't know where you are right now, but jp430 gained some major horsepower just from adding the headers on his setup. Although as jbrady stated earlier, the 430 designed headers are smaller in diameter than the 400. I bet there will be similar gains when you install yours.
Old 04-17-06, 04:47 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was quoted $300 from a shop. That seems kinda low from what others have paid $350-450. $75/hr and about 6hrs labor (max)
but He looked at everything. I told him that the engine needed to be lifted some to make it easier and he OK I'll let you know if he ends up doing it for that price. I'm shcduled on the 4-28.
Old 04-18-06, 01:06 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
I was quoted $300 from a shop. That seems kinda low from what others have paid $350-450. $75/hr and about 6hrs labor (max)
but He looked at everything. I told him that the engine needed to be lifted some to make it easier and he OK I'll let you know if he ends up doing it for that price. I'm shcduled on the 4-28.
If he is good it can be done that quickly, otherwise it will turn out to be more work than he thinks. As long as he locks in on the price then good for you.

My installer is doing mine today. This is the second car in the past 2 working days to do headers. Mine is the second car they've done.

Even though they were able to do it quicker than the first install, you could just see the guy shaking his head. I could almost read his mind saying, "yeah I can doi it faster now, but the work is so hard, I'd rather be paid to do other easier jobs for the same hourly rate".

Timewise I think it can be done in a reasonable amount of time, but I'll bet there won't be many that would want to get paid to do headers everyday, day in and day out.
Old 04-18-06, 03:53 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to scare you or anyone else, but, I did do mine in my own garage using all of my own tools in a weekend. It's embarassing to admit because I AM mechanically adept, but, it took me 16 hrs without raising the engine. Also, I documented a lot of my steps, took pictures, etc.
Raising the engine would have saved me a good 3 hrs. Getting the old heat shields off is a major pain!

I would hope that you've seen my write up on it.....the thread is something like "Big Al's Header install".

I'm sure a shop can do it in 6-8hrs. Just be aware of the minor potential pitfalls that I and others have mentioned. ie. needing other bolts, checking fit of catalytic converter to the header flange and ease of either header to slip over the head bolt/studs. You may need to enlarge one or two of the end bolt holes on the header.

I'd bet that with those notes, one or two friends and an early start, you could easily finish it in a day. The throaty sound when you're on the road and at 50% throttle is very very sweet!!

BA
Old 04-18-06, 06:55 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

i got quoted $150 for the header install
Old 04-18-06, 07:36 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Is this a friend that's going to do it for $150? If it's an independent shop, I doubt they know what's involved in installing these headers. It's not a simple task like on a honda civic.
Old 04-18-06, 07:40 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

it's my friend who owns an independent shop that quoted me, and once he gives me a quote he never changes it on me, plus their my car club sponsor shop and i'm the club president haha
Old 04-18-06, 07:46 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

That's cool. It's an awesome deal for you. I think the shop manual said sometihing like 10-11 hours for install. Of course, actual install times will vary especially if someone has done it before. I'd say go for it!!!
Old 04-19-06, 11:07 PM
GSing430
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kharizma
i got quoted $150 for the header install
that price sounds more fitted for a honda/acura headers install.
but if he can do it for $150, you'll be saving alot of $$$.
Old 04-19-06, 11:20 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it's my friend who owns an independent shop that quoted me, and once he gives me a quote he never changes it on me, plus their my car club sponsor shop and i'm the club president haha

If he does it for $150, you'll owe him some big props.

Even at $50 an hour the header install is worth atleast double your quote.
Old 04-20-06, 12:38 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

lol yeah, he always kicks his own *** when he works on my car 'cause it ends up being harder than what he quotes or expects i like taking my car to him 'cause his brother has a GS3 and he has a SC3, so since they're both in the Lexus family I trust them and they're both members of my club so my club members and myself get a discount for them being my club sponsor, so it works out really well
Old 04-21-06, 12:15 PM
GS42NV
Pole Position

lol yeah, he always kicks his own *** when he works on my car 'cause it ends up being harder than what he quotes or expects i like taking my car to him 'cause his brother has a GS3 and he has a SC3, so since they're both in the Lexus family I trust them and they're both members of my club so my club members and myself get a discount for them being my club sponsor, so it works out really well
hahaha ... can i join your club too? ill ship my car to him with a bunch of lil goodies, let him work on it at your rate, then have him ship it back lol

its hard to find a competent shop around here, much less one that doesn't wanna charge an arm and a leg. Since im planning on doing a full custom exhaust w/ 2.25 inch pipes (kinda jocking Hameed .... copying is just another form of flattery ) , do you think that by doing both headers and exhaust at the same time that would cut down on install costs at all? just seems that the headers might be alot more engine bay work, while the exhaust is strictly under the car .... either way, CL is just killin me

Quick Reply: How much did you pay for GS400 header install?