Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine squeel

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-06, 02:42 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine squeel

Hey guys, I got a problem with my 99-gs3, when ever my rpm go above 1400 rpm to about 2200 rpm range I get this squeel coming from the engine. I ordered a new serpentine belt and just replaced it and under perliminary examination it seems the noise hsa been reduced but not alot. It kinda sounds like those old buicks on the road with the screetching engine noise. It sounds a bit metalic so I'm thinking it could be a pulley. Can the pretensioner pulley be causing this? when the belt was of I spun the water pump pulley and it went real smooth, I spun the alternator pulley and the steering pump pulleys to and they all went real smoth but the pretensioner pulley was a bit rough and even though I couldnt spin it at 1400+ rpm It felt like something was wrong so before I lay out $150 for a new pulley I would apreciate any advice. Thanks, Stan.
Old 04-25-06, 07:25 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am thinking that it is your pretensioner as well. I have seen someone on here say thay dirt gets in there, and makes it spin much harder. My other reasoning for it is that you replaced the belt, and it got better. Must be something in the serpentine system then. You can also take a wooden stick, put it to the bolt of the pulley, and put the other end to your ear, you will hear if the noise is comming from there. Be careful.
Old 04-25-06, 07:38 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One or both of the bearings in the pretensioner.
Old 04-25-06, 09:59 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

I have the exact same problem for over a year now , dealership says its because of the 18's rims i got , i said BS but they still said they cant fix it unless i go back to stock and since im not a mechanic , i lived with it but i would pay anything to have it removed .
Old 04-25-06, 05:13 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Well I thought the noise was reduced but I was wrong, same intensity and same noise even when the belt was changed. After thinking about it I really think its the bearings in the tensioner. All of the pulleys exept the tensioner pulley spun freely for a few seconds. Does anyone know how much these bearings cost, I went to sewell lexus site and I've never seen a more retarted site in my life, cant find any mechanical parts, and I filled out the form to see if they got the bearings and still no reply. I know the whole pretensioner costs around 160 for the gs-300 but I already remember reading they sell the bearings inside seperately so anyone know where I can get them, I really don't want to call my local dealership since they overcharge.
Old 04-25-06, 05:33 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Come to think of it, I dont think I have ever seen a Lexus dealership website that lists mechanical parts. I know some Honda and Acura dealerships have parts listed, even diagrams of the cars so you can correlate which part is which. Very convenient when I'm working on a car, or when I need to know exactly what part I am trying to find.
Old 04-26-06, 12:22 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Park place plano lexus website has parts, I ordered my a/c expension valve and evaporator from the site plus tons of over stuff. By the way still no answer from sewell lexus.
Old 09-18-11, 10:49 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vicestan
Hey guys, I got a problem with my 99-gs3, when ever my rpm go above 1400 rpm to about 2200 rpm range I get this squeel coming from the engine. I ordered a new serpentine belt and just replaced it and under perliminary examination it seems the noise hsa been reduced but not alot. It kinda sounds like those old buicks on the road with the screetching engine noise. It sounds a bit metalic so I'm thinking it could be a pulley. Can the pretensioner pulley be causing this? when the belt was of I spun the water pump pulley and it went real smooth, I spun the alternator pulley and the steering pump pulleys to and they all went real smoth but the pretensioner pulley was a bit rough and even though I couldnt spin it at 1400+ rpm It felt like something was wrong so before I lay out $150 for a new pulley I would apreciate any advice. Thanks, Stan.
I have the same problem with my '03 sport design. I replaced my 1st serpentine with BANDO oem belt at 27K miles. It went away... but about 1K miles later. it came back!!

i'm at 51K now and still have it. Planning to buy another belt... but i want to make sure i got all covered.

Is the tensioner? should i do pulley as well?

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...03&catalogid=1
Old 09-18-11, 06:05 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by istundra
I have the same problem with my '03 sport design. I replaced my 1st serpentine with BANDO oem belt at 27K miles. It went away... but about 1K miles later. it came back!!

i'm at 51K now and still have it. Planning to buy another belt... but i want to make sure i got all covered.

Is the tensioner? should i do pulley as well?

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...03&catalogid=1
Change the tensioner pulley wheel or the whole tensioner assembly if you can get it for a reasonable price or you will eat up you belt. PM if you need info.
Old 10-14-11, 10:24 AM
cdg306
Rookie

The tensioner itself could be bad. If it's not putting the proper tension on the belt it could be slipping. This would cause premature belt wear too.