Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cams for V8 gs

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-06, 06:24 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Werd. I woudln't want this thread to go down in the dumps. I'm interested in the cams because I think that's one step towards getting more power (especially for NA).

This one guy gained 8whp with just a regrind on his 3.2L V6 with very little response to mods. (no variable valve timing). That's with intake and stock exhaust piping. I'm sure if we can find a way to work around the vvti mess, 4.0L+ V8 would make at least 15whp, depending on how agressive the cams are. That in addition to i/h/e, holy crap I can't even possibly think of the gains.

[/dreaming]

Cams for our engines with headers, I & E, should make around 40whp in a general V8 compairison.
Old 05-08-06, 07:41 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cams in the 'uz-fe family of V8's are very conservative from the factory, and changing the cam profile to something more aggressive would only let the engine make the power it really wants to. However, the idea that removing the material from the cam lobe base circle is not at all recommended. Here are some quotes to why this is a bad idea:

"...increases the acceleration profile of the cam lobe and stresses the bucket top, wall, and bore more

secondly, i havent looked at the 1uz in detail, but often there is fouling issues if the bucket comes up out of the hole - hits the bearing retainersurfaces and such..."

"If we make the overall diameter too small and/or ramp angles too steep we will end up with more trouble than we need."

"...doesnt mean its a great idea...

of course theres a dodgy way to do everything... been there, tried that

edit: and add to that list of issues - increased side loads on the valve stems causing premature wear on the valve guides... which is compounded if you have ported the head and taken that bottom 5-6mm off the guide in the port..."

I think everyone interested in aftermarket cams, or cam profiles should very much consider that the the cheapest way is not usually the best way.

The 1uz and 3uz VVt-I cams can be made to have a different profile, and allow for more HP production, however the owner should do all of the research he/she can to ensure the the Vvt-I mechanism will not cause problems when coupled with the new cam phasing. Feel free to contact me personally about it.

Thanks guys,

Eric

Last edited by c0wboy; 05-08-06 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-08-06, 08:24 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood
Hey buddy don't shoot the messenger.

They edited their page today and yesterday I just checked thier source. At the time of the 2nd post of this thread it said "per piece" in brackets. The statement of "Number all four camss in packaging:4" was also added new. This thread must have forced them to be more clear.
Maybe that's because C0boy works for them although he's not saying so here.

Eric,

I am going to check on your progress with the approved vendor folks on CL per your last PM to me. Due to prior multiple solicitation issues with your last screen name I am not going to issue another warning to you - your access will be immediately removed and the TTC URL censored such that it only appears as **** if you continue to bend and break our forum rules.

Two examples already above include 1) commenting on your own pricing as above without identifying your association with TTC ("That's not bad, I think." ) is a very sleazy approach IMO and 2) dropping hints about directing sales off the forum such as:
Originally Posted by c0wboy
Feel free to contact me personally about it.
I'm sorry to take such a hard line but your past history here with your 'old' ID on our forum and your personal insults against CL off forum have been anything but exemplary.

Please be aware we have new rules which you are subject to regarding multiple forum IDs and Vendor Sales and advertising which can result in significant monetary penalites. I suggest you read the rules thoroughly:

https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...ew/2160/1/126/
Old 05-08-06, 12:36 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Sorry Dave, I just wanted to promote discussion about cams, and clear the air of all of the bad information out there. Please amend my posts so that they comply with CL rules and regs. I would like to see the discussion about cams to continue.

Thanks again,

Eric
Old 05-08-06, 01:37 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Being a musclecar nut, I am curious about the possibilty of cams for the 1uzfe. I wish a could cram a GM 350 motor in this car lol. Keep the thread alive
Old 05-08-06, 02:51 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Please be aware we have new rules which you are subject to regarding multiple forum IDs and Vendor Sales and advertising which can result in significant monetary penalites. I suggest you read the rules thoroughly:
Yeah we had a guy with 5 ID in our forum and we banned 4 of his 5 screen names already. Discussion of cams is great, but discussion promoting your products is a no no....
Old 05-08-06, 02:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Guys I've taken the moderation offline to PM, let's keep this post on topic of the cams please

Thanks
Old 05-09-06, 05:34 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Thanks Dave, I'm working on a small broad overview of where the V8 community stands at this point with camshafts so everyone will be on the same page. It will be a general synopsys and hopefully answer a few of the users questions about cams for their specific motor code.

Eric
Old 05-09-06, 04:35 PM
c0wboy
Banned

A short general overview of cams for the 1/2/3uz-fe.

From what 1uz and 2uz motor builders, tuners have told us, the uz'-fe family of motors respond VERY well to cam upgrades. The 2uz motor builders especially have expressed that they have not yet found the limit as to what effect more aggressive cams will give. Some of the most aggressive cams tested are over 1/2 inch lift, and 265 duration @.050! Of course, this is a race only profile, since perfromance in the low ranges and idle will have to be raised signifigantly. For the most part, the 'uz-fe family of motors suffer greatly from a lack of duration and lack of lift. While this is great from a passenger car point of view, from a performance aspect, it serves little purpose.

...Cams for the 1uz non VVt-I have been around for sometime now, and recently there have been cast billets produced. Until these came about, all aftermeket profiles were hardwelded and reground examples. While these will work, and are extremely durable, it is always advisable to start from a billet core. Early 1uz motors need an especially aggressive exhaust cam as the stock valve size is only 28mm. Australian tuners have reported using a medium-mild intake cam, while using an "extreme" exhaust cam in an attempt to get that spent air out of there.

...Cams for the 2uz-fe are a real rarity. They exist, but from all apprences, there is only one company now who hardwelds stock 2uz cams that are tested, proven, and raced. These are generally more expensive since there was much legwork involved in knowing what works and what doesn't. There are no cast billets in existence, however hardwelding of 2uz-fe cams has proven very successful is the racing series' that they are used. Since the 2uz is a shim under bucket design, there is less chance of tossing a shim or bucket at high rpm. However at lifts above 10mm, it is advisable to convert to larger diameter buckets.

...Cams for the 3uz-fe to this point are non exsistent. Not only are there no billet core, there are no companies hardwelding them actively. None that have done any signifigant testing anyway. The 2uz cam profiles can be applied to the 3uz, however there is no gurantee in performance, nor is there a guarantee that the valves will not interfere with the piston when the VVt-I is at full tilt. Further testing is certainly required.

Grinding base circles are a cheap way to gain more lift, but it's a band-aid fix. It is less expensive than s full set of cams, however the risks outweigh the payoff. Grinding the base circle puts enormous stress on valve guides, and valves themselves since the acceleration profiles are changed dramatiacally. In the posts above, there is more information about why this is a BAD idea. I figure that the Lexus family of V8's 10 years later are still one of the most advanced engines in any car, so why would the owner opt to take the cheap way out. Why a Lexus owner would damage an extremely expensive motor is beyond my understanding. But each owner is entitled to do what he or she wishes...

I hope this clears the air on V8 cams

Eric

Last edited by c0wboy; 12-28-07 at 05:15 PM.