Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 07:14 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by javylsu
Will this system give me any trouble with California emissions? If not, I am DEFINITELY getting this exhaust... It's the "throaty" sound I want without the loud, annoying drone or a ricey sound. I love what I've heard so far.

Javier
Hey Javier, I really don't think you'll get any issues. With the way it sounds, it's very subtle.
Old 05-04-06, 10:00 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

too whoever answered me... First of all yes it looks very good. But whynot buy one that looks as good as it performs or thats just the way i think. If im going to buy an exhaust i want good hp gains and a good look. Just like rims im not going to get heavy ones with a lip that rubs its jus when u spend the money whynot get everything in one package. If anyone can understand me on this then you know what i mean. With all that said the clips dont ever do anything for me id love to hear it in person and then i would probaly just buy it even without good dynos.
Old 05-08-06, 05:23 PM
Tanabe USA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sound clip clarity is dependent on the hardware used, distance, and other environmental conditions. We do offer some clips on our site, but as always, to get the best idea of how the system will sound, it is best to hear it in person.

CL members Yoshi13 and varok have this system on their vehicles and can provide more insight on the sound quality of Medalion Touring.

Medalion Touring will be arriving in less than one week!
Old 05-09-06, 12:47 PM
IS350ISFUN
Driver

Just placed an order for one with a tuner shop here in San Franciso....$595...l am so looking forward to having it install
Old 05-09-06, 12:54 PM
IS350ISFUN
Driver

Originally Posted by BaLLzZz
too whoever answered me... First of all yes it looks very good. But whynot buy one that looks as good as it performs or thats just the way i think. If im going to buy an exhaust i want good hp gains and a good look. Just like rims im not going to get heavy ones with a lip that rubs its jus when u spend the money whynot get everything in one package. If anyone can understand me on this then you know what i mean. With all that said the clips dont ever do anything for me id love to hear it in person and then i would probaly just buy it even without good dynos.

How many hp's can you gain with just an exhaust?
Old 05-09-06, 01:36 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350ISFUN
there is no set number if you were looking for one, the IS350 exhaust gains about 7 whp. Turbocharge cars make huge gains from exhausts, N/A dont have as big gains
Old 05-10-06, 09:28 AM
casey225
Pole Position

Since I haven't even been able to lay eyes on a "real" 350, can someone tell me what the stock exhaust sounds like compared to this one? I think I would like the sound of this exhaust, but 93 db is meaningless to me in terms of how it compares to stock. If the difference is minimal, I'll pass for now. I want a deep sound, but not excessively loud - from what I've read, this sounds like it could be a winner.
Old 05-10-06, 09:40 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by casey225
Since I haven't even been able to lay eyes on a "real" 350, can someone tell me what the stock exhaust sounds like compared to this one? I think I would like the sound of this exhaust, but 93 db is meaningless to me in terms of how it compares to stock. If the difference is minimal, I'll pass for now. I want a deep sound, but not excessively loud - from what I've read, this sounds like it could be a winner.
You really can't hear anything from the exhaust. The IS is still very much like the way it should be a Luxury car, compared to BMW & Mercedes, where you can really notice the growl in the exhaust note.

BUT, if you turn off your music, you can hear a slight hum, but most is probably coming from the engine. In a parking structure, you could hear something, but not enough to make it meaningful.
Old 05-15-06, 05:08 PM
Tanabe USA
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by IS350ISFUN
It's all dependent on how efficient the factory exhaust system is. On some of the newer cars, there is little to gain from an exhaust system upgrade. We were able to free up 7rwhp under the testing conditions with a resonator back system.

There are possibilities of higher gains by eliminating restrictions closer to the engine, such as the headers/removing the catalyzers, but you also run the very big risk of making the car obnoxiously loud, illegal, and very "un-Lexus-like" according to some.

As a rule, it is usually the sum of all of the parts, and not any one particular part that will make the most performance.
Old 05-15-06, 05:14 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tanabe USA
It's all dependent on how efficient the factory exhaust system is. On some of the newer cars, there is little to gain from an exhaust system upgrade. We were able to free up 7rwhp under the testing conditions with a resonator back system.

There are possibilities of higher gains by eliminating restrictions closer to the engine, such as the headers/removing the catalyzers, but you also run the very big risk of making the car obnoxiously loud, illegal, and very "un-Lexus-like" according to some.

As a rule, it is usually the sum of all of the parts, and not any one particular part that will make the most performance.
Any chance you guys will release a true full dual exhaust w/higher-flow cats?
Old 05-15-06, 06:00 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by conekiller
Any chance you guys will release a true full dual exhaust w/higher-flow cats?
if they do its not gonna be bolt on, going to require cutting and welding
Old 05-15-06, 06:18 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
if they do its not gonna be bolt on, going to require cutting and welding
If they did, you could count me in
Old 05-16-06, 06:18 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

word on the street is that these just arrived on the boat from Japan.

also heard that they might work on the 250

Tanabe USA wont make any parts that are not bolt on-- not being able to return your car to factory condition is a big no-no.
Old 05-16-06, 07:10 PM
casey225
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pocky
You really can't hear anything from the exhaust. The IS is still very much like the way it should be a Luxury car, compared to BMW & Mercedes, where you can really notice the growl in the exhaust note.

BUT, if you turn off your music, you can hear a slight hum, but most is probably coming from the engine. In a parking structure, you could hear something, but not enough to make it meaningful.
Pocky, I'm sorry, are you referring to stock or Tanabe? I wouldn't expect to hear anything from the stock exhaust, which is quite appealing since I ordered ML - why would I want my exhaust to drown out my "premium" stereo. If you were referring to Tanabe, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear.
Old 05-16-06, 07:45 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by casey225
Pocky, I'm sorry, are you referring to stock or Tanabe? I wouldn't expect to hear anything from the stock exhaust, which is quite appealing since I ordered ML - why would I want my exhaust to drown out my "premium" stereo. If you were referring to Tanabe, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear.
Actually I'm referring to the factory exhaust.

You seriously can't hear anything, It's only when you actually *try* to listen to a note with no music and windows down. You'll notice something to the least.

Trust me, the IS exhaust is dead quiet compared to German cars.

I didn't mean to mislead you in anyway, But just stating the fact that there is some sort of tiny tiny winkle of noise coming out of the factory system.

Quick Reply: Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust Installed