Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-06, 08:36 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
word on the street is that these just arrived on the boat from Japan.

also heard that they might work on the 250

Tanabe USA wont make any parts that are not bolt on-- not being able to return your car to factory condition is a big no-no.

Well that's Great News!!

Of course they'll work on the IS 250.. From what I understand the OEM Lexus exhaust uses the same exact exhaust piping / mufflers / hangers/ specs ..etc.. for both models...
( I could be wrong though )

I would assume they are working on dyno'ing a 6speed IS250 to see what kind of gains it will get..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 05-17-06 at 07:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-16-06, 09:26 PM
casey225
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pocky
Actually I'm referring to the factory exhaust.

You seriously can't hear anything, It's only when you actually *try* to listen to a note with no music and windows down. You'll notice something to the least.

Trust me, the IS exhaust is dead quiet compared to German cars.

I didn't mean to mislead you in anyway, But just stating the fact that there is some sort of tiny tiny winkle of noise coming out of the factory system.
You didn't mislead me at all. That's what I thought you meant, but you didn't specify which one you were referring to, and as I mentioned both in my post, I thought you may have misinterpreted me, so, I just wanted to clarify. Thanks for your input. I wish I could hear the Tanabe in person, but, very unlikely. From the clips it sounds pretty quiet at cruise, with noticeable but tolerable sound level at higher rpm's. I tend to agree with you in that I think of this as a luxury car first, but, one with excellent performance. Therefore, I'm leaning more towards the quiet ride. Last thing I want to do is make this an overpriced tricked out Honda wannabe.
Old 05-17-06, 08:23 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by casey225
You didn't mislead me at all. That's what I thought you meant, but you didn't specify which one you were referring to, and as I mentioned both in my post, I thought you may have misinterpreted me, so, I just wanted to clarify. Thanks for your input. I wish I could hear the Tanabe in person, but, very unlikely. From the clips it sounds pretty quiet at cruise, with noticeable but tolerable sound level at higher rpm's. I tend to agree with you in that I think of this as a luxury car first, but, one with excellent performance. Therefore, I'm leaning more towards the quiet ride. Last thing I want to do is make this an overpriced tricked out Honda wannabe.

Hear Hear!
Old 05-17-06, 08:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

That's very nice
Old 05-17-06, 09:08 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

This is the lowest reading dynojet numbers I've seen yet on the IS350. Is the california gas that bad!?
Old 05-17-06, 10:38 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

I kinda was thinking that too . . .
Old 05-17-06, 05:08 PM
Tanabe USA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The independent dyno facility that tested the car (R&D Dyno) keeps a very well calibrated machine, but perhaps some of the electronic controls prevented the full potential of this exhaust system from being displayed. If this is true, this is very good news towards the bottom line for the system!

Also noticed, the dynograph output showed vehicle speed instead of RPM. We will have the graph re-exported with RPM.

IS250 fitment will be confirmed very soon!
Old 05-17-06, 07:16 PM
blkIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
word on the street is that these just arrived on the boat from Japan.

also heard that they might work on the 250

Tanabe USA wont make any parts that are not bolt on-- not being able to return your car to factory condition is a big no-no.

Are you saying the full dual exhaust with high-flow cats just hit the streets in Japan or Tanabe Medallion just hit the streets there?
Old 05-17-06, 08:01 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by blkIS350
Are you saying the full dual exhaust with high-flow cats just hit the streets in Japan or Tanabe Medallion just hit the streets there?
I'm pretty sure what Mike is saying:

"Tanabe Medallion exhausts for the 2006 IS have just arrived from Japan via the boat.. Its still at the port of Long Beach and the exhausts should get to Tanabe USA in Torrance fairly quickly as long as the dock workers move their butts!!

Tanabe's Exhuast systems are all bolt on street legal systems... They would never make a system that does not comply with State emissions or sound requirements. "

That was my interpretation...

Thank You

Joe Z
Old 05-18-06, 03:30 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

very nice exhaust setup there! i really like your car...you got great taste
Old 05-18-06, 04:43 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

The longer it takes for my other mods to show up, the more I really want this exhaust!

Must resist. Still not am onth old!
Old 05-22-06, 05:20 PM
Tanabe USA
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I'm pretty sure what Mike is saying:

"Tanabe Medallion exhausts for the 2006 IS have just arrived from Japan via the boat.. Its still at the port of Long Beach and the exhausts should get to Tanabe USA in Torrance fairly quickly as long as the dock workers move their butts!!

Tanabe's Exhuast systems are all bolt on street legal systems... They would never make a system that does not comply with State emissions or sound requirements. "

That was my interpretation...

Thank You

Joe Z

That would be correct

We will never produce a system that leaves the car in a state that cannot be returned to stock, nor would we produce a Medalion Touring system that modifies emissions or is exceedingly loud.

Additional info: The first shipment that was mentioned was sold out before it even hit the docks. Next shipment is arriving in June, recommended to contact authorized vendors to secure one, as it's almost guaranteed to be limited availability for next several months. See signature.
Old 05-22-06, 05:30 PM
casey225
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tanabe USA
That would be correct

We will never produce a system that leaves the car in a state that cannot be returned to stock, nor would we produce a Medalion Touring system that modifies emissions or is exceedingly loud.
For those of us who will not have the opportunity to hear one in person, do you happen to know the db level of stock from your testing? I know you advertise it to be under 93db, but that is kind of meaningless to me without having anything to compare it to.
Old 05-22-06, 05:35 PM
Tanabe USA
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by casey225
For those of us who will not have the opportunity to hear one in person, do you happen to know the db level of stock from your testing? I know you advertise it to be under 93db, but that is kind of meaningless to me without having anything to compare it to.
Totally understandable casey. Our engineers do have this information, and we will post it! The "Under 93db" denotes that the system operates under 93db, but not necessarily at 93db. From the testing session, I recall the db of the exhaust system being around 91db, with the factory system being around 89db...nonetheless, we will have the exact information posted soon.
Old 05-22-06, 05:37 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

sorry i don't want to read through all the comments, but is there anyway someone could repost the sound clips, not the videos on youtube if there are any, because i would like to hear different clips

thanks

Quick Reply: Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust Installed