Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Burning up Trannys

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-06, 09:27 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning up Trannys

Has anyone been burning up transmissions like me and what's the best fix? I'm looking into a high-performance transmission because added horsepower and a dragon torque converter has been too much for my stock tranny. Has anyone tried Swift Racings transmission? IPT Performance Transmissions claim they make the strongest Toyota Transmission; has anyone tried these? Thanks for your input.
Old 05-09-06, 10:42 PM
Supraownzu
Driver

i dont know much about gs400's but if its the same tranny as the 300 you could always pick up a supra tt auto tranny and have it built. i know of a couple here in town you could possibly buy and then you'll spend in the neighborhood of 1800-2000 getting it rebuilt and modified. i had mine done by a friend in town who owns a tranny shop. he has guaranteed the tranny to 600whp and given me a 6month warranty on it, so not to bad.

if the trannies arent the same, i have no further help to give you, sorry...
Old 05-10-06, 12:05 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you install a tranny cooler when you got those mods?
Old 05-10-06, 12:16 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

SRT tranny is just a tranny rebuild with new clutch packs and some better bands. It still won't answer the problem if you are pushing more than 550 hp to the wheels. Or if the "burnt" tranny is due to excessive heat.

Heat is the killer of trannies and a good tranny cooler will help. You could always go and get the TH400 setup like Flashgordon and TTurbopimp. They are better informed about this stuff.

As far as GS3 vs GS4 trannies, they are totally different.

BTW how much more HP do you have over stock? I have always been told that 400hp to the wheels can be handled by the stock transmission. I have a TT setup and so far no problems. I use Amsoil transmission fluid/Earls fluid cooler and have an upgraded valve body and Dragon 2400 stall TC.

Last edited by HI98GS; 05-10-06 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-10-06, 12:27 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One problem is the line pressure. Gotta address that if you want to do anything significant. Trickly but doable.

Next is the electronic control or the manipulation of it. That is the key if you want it to last. Ultimately though, that 5 speed is a weak piece of poopola.

Might want to look into a manual changeover (not overly cool in a luxury car though), or even back-grade to the 4 speed from the 97-earlier models. These are much stronger but you run back into the problem again with no ability to control it, and your ecu needs to think the 5 speed is still there too!

There are solutions though, just need to figure out what your ultimate goals and budget are.
Old 05-10-06, 08:22 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DoubleWhoosh
One problem is the line pressure. Gotta address that if you want to do anything significant. Trickly but doable.

Next is the electronic control or the manipulation of it. That is the key if you want it to last. Ultimately though, that 5 speed is a weak piece of poopola.

Might want to look into a manual changeover (not overly cool in a luxury car though), or even back-grade to the 4 speed from the 97-earlier models. These are much stronger but you run back into the problem again with no ability to control it, and your ecu needs to think the 5 speed is still there too!

There are solutions though, just need to figure out what your ultimate goals and budget are.
I have a test car for you willing to do the manual tranny. Hook me up!
Old 05-10-06, 10:38 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Thanks for the input. I may just go with a High Performance rebuild kit. Check out: www.importperformancetrans.com
Old 05-11-06, 09:39 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

do u have a tranny cooler? cheap and most likely will fix your problem
Old 05-12-06, 06:00 PM
BUSTN
Instructor

th-400 with a gear vendors overdrive unit.No ****ty toyo tranny can beat the th-400.
Old 05-13-06, 06:58 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, here's some quick input from me........and trust me I have done my research on all options.

TH400 w/ gearvendor OD unit is as bullet proof as you can get. Dont expect to get this done for less than 7 or 8 grand for everything needed. Its a bad *** set up for high HP racing apps, but the average off the street person wont like it.

Supra 6 speed conversion....it can be done, for roughly 10 grand.

Built stock tranny.......can and has been done many times by SRT with their early set ups. The set ups these days have too much HP to throw on a "built" stock tranny and expect it to hold up. The reason I say "built" like that, is because the stock tranny CANNOT be fully built. Nobody has all of the parts necessary for that tranny to fully build it. What they do is replace the clutch packs, etc that are available in the aftermarket, then replace the remainder with fresh stock parts.......so its partially built. These have held up in past GS' that I know of pushing high 400's to right around 500 to the wheels.

If you need another stock tranny, I have a perfect one sitting in my garage out of my 2000 GS with 61k miles on it. Let me know if youre interested.
Old 05-13-06, 10:31 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Hey TTurboPimp, that are you using to handle all that horsepower? I'm also interested in the twin-turbo set-up.. Where did you get it and how has it been working. This GS is kind of my play car these days so a supercharger or turbo conversion may be in my future. I just upgraded the brakes as the stock GS brakes are very inadequate, especially when pushing some more horses.

Has anyone tried Import Performance Transmissions? Swift Racings race tranny supposedly can handle 800 hp. What's the TH-400 w/ od? Can someone fill me in?
Old 05-14-06, 12:52 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello Dave: I troll over here in the GS forum sometimes... The TH400 is a GM 3-speed Auto trans that has a 4th gear added with the OD...It can be built to near bullet-proof applications. It is expensive, and it will shift well, but you will lose the luxury effect. Here is a link to read up a little more on the GM TH400. http://www.gearvendors.com/hrgm3s.html Many, many use it with high HP applications.

I have also spoken to BoostLogic several times, and to several of their customers, and some of them swear by their rebuilt 4-speed Toyota A340E transmissions which are found in pre 98 SC400's and Earlier GS400's. BL claims 700-800 HP max, if I remember correctly. Some people have had problems with much less HP than that. I do not know the reason for the inconsistencies, but BL claims it is due to incorrect installation of the rebuilt BL tranny every time. BL does have excellent customer support.

Of all, if you can get a good deal on a V160 Getrag manual 6-speed, It will handle the HP, and is an excellent trans. But it ca n be quite expensive as well...

I hear IPT is an excelle nt company.

Don't know about the company you linked...Hope this helps.

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 05-14-06 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-14-06, 06:34 PM
Supraownzu
Driver

so what are the odds of swapping a a340e into a gs400??? i personally was looking at a 4l80e in my gs, but decided to go with the built supra tranny until i find the time and money to do the 4l80e. th400 would be nice, but seems like the 4l80e is a better trans for actual driving applications.