Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help with turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-01, 02:38 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the Blitz nurspec have the same application on the GS400 as well??? Is it a cat-back or just mufflers?? Tiny
Old 09-21-01, 04:29 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes it will fit tiny and its just rear-section

HKG Harrier - What about with a 6spd stick and a super light flywheel? hahaha
Old 09-21-01, 02:47 PM
HKSpowerGS4
Driver

Yeah almost forgot about the oil and water lines for the turbo, which is a given. I honestly think it can be done for much less than a 2jzgte conversion.

Mike,

Funny that you should say this:

"Not in the realm of inexpensive no matter what...you might as well sell your GS300, buy a GS400/GS430 and then add a supercharger! "

I just did the opposite!! =) Sold the GS400 for a GS300..

Will
Old 09-21-01, 07:36 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the SC3/4 section up top "Engine/Transmission" and look for my thread "Help with getting a turbo?!"

There's a TON of helpful stuff in there. Talk to Lance at www.Toyomoto.com, you should be able to get a kit from him for less than $6k for your car. That's where most every SC300 turbo is from on here....including mine that will be here in two weeks.

After all the GS and SC's are the same drivetrain, so it should be about the same. I also know F-Max makes a kit for the GS, but after seeing their kit first hand, SCREW them. Talk to Lance, he'll get you straight.

How about a T04E 60 trim, 70 exhaust, good for maybe 400hp with stock compression. Then add nitrous. Also you'll likely need to upgrade that tranny....tons of places can take care of that too.

SR
Old 09-21-01, 10:13 PM
HKSpowerGS4
Driver

The TO4E 60 trim with an .70 a/r sounds good. It will spool up fast and offer at least 400hp.

You are partially right about the GS and the SC sharing the same powertrain. The Engines are both 2jz-ge's, but the ones in the 98+ GS are VVT-i versions and have a returnless Fuel system, which will not allow for a simple pump and boost dependant fuel presure regulator as a fuel enrichment upgrade to compensate for the added airflow of the turbo. Its possible, just not as simple.

The transmissions, assuming that you even have an auto trans, are different also. The 98+ GS's are 5spds versus the older ones being 4spds. The bands and clutches are a bit different.

Regardless you have a great set up and its a great foundation for 98+ GS's, but just not complete enough yet.

Will
Old 09-22-01, 01:17 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by HKSpowerGS4

Will

SMART move!!
Old 09-22-01, 07:13 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by HKSpowerGS4

Will

2JZ RULES!!!!!!!!!!! hahahaha good job dude!
Old 09-22-01, 11:22 AM
HKSpowerGS4
Driver

Haha...Thanks Globe (Sorry forgot your name) and Sasha..

To me the 2JZ has more potential than the 1UV engine. The 1UV is great stock and if you dont want to do much. Maybe its just my familiarity with the 2JZ, but there is a greater degree of tuning parts available for it. Cant beat a stock 2JZGE block that can handle 400ish hp and a 2JZGTE block that handles 600ish hp easily.

Will
Old 09-22-01, 12:53 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

dude the 2JZ block is always the same, the 2JZ-GE or GTE can handle 600ish...

you just have to get there with the GE, where as you are already almost there with the GTE if you see what i'm saying
Old 09-22-01, 01:05 PM
HKSpowerGS4
Driver

Actually the blocks are very similar but not identical. To be more specific on why I stated that the GE and GTE handle different levels of hp; The pistions, for one, are different and so is the compression of the motor. Even with a thicker Headgasket, the one should be careful when waiting to attain 600ish on a GE block...not sayings its not possible, just need to be more cautious than on a GTE block.

Regardless...getting to that HP level is the first factor...
Old 09-22-01, 01:06 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

One concern I have with the Turbo or SC is smog. CA has very strict restrictions on smog. For me, it's gotta be CARB cert or undetectible to the trained eye. Otherwise, it's a no go.

With that said, I am still on the fence on whether to sell my GS3 for a GS4 or buy a Supra TT or one of the other cars that came from the factory with stock TT.

I thought I would bring this point out even though it's probably not a concern for most.
Old 09-22-01, 10:30 PM
HKSpowerGS4
Driver

As of right now, a turbo kit for the GS300 (2jzge) will more likely not be able to be CARB exempt because of the location of the stock cats. The cats are one piece with the stock manifolds and extend far enough downward that you would not be able to mount the turbos after cats. For a kit to be CARB exempt the stock cats, would need to be in thier stock location. With TRD's SC plan, as with what they have done with the 4runner and camry, it will be carb exempt at its release.

A GS400 will offer greater performance stock, but turboing a GS300 will offer much more performance. As for a TT supra...hands down....highest performancer of the bunch...Been there before!
Old 09-23-01, 01:40 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I have to be honest and say that modifying my GS is just not in the cards for me. I don't think a SC will really make the car that fast for the $$ and a turbo is definitely a no go because of smog. With a GS4, I would already have a lot of power and with a few mods, it would be satisfactory, powerwise.

Unfortunately, I have been eyeing C5s now. I might just go that route instead.
Old 09-23-01, 02:07 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by meanboy
I have to be honest and say that modifying my GS is just not in the cards for me. I don't think a SC will really make the car that fast for the $$ and a turbo is definitely a no go because of smog. With a GS4, I would already have a lot of power and with a few mods, it would be satisfactory, powerwise.
SC really makes GS3 fast for the $$. GS300 with SC costs less than GS400/GS430 and runs faster, with ALOT of room for upgrades.

and GS300 + turbo smog level might not be as high as Corvettes
Old 09-23-01, 06:51 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the GS3 with a nice turbo will SMOKE the C5, and still have room for 5 people and luggage. Not to mention the smooth ride. And not to mention to look on C5 drivers faces...when they GET smoked by a 4dr GS.

SR

Quick Reply: Help with turbo?