Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help with turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-01, 06:55 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm SO PISSED knowing my 2JZ can't handle as much HP, is it just the pistons and compression? if its just that then thats ok but if its anything more then i have to do a 2JZ-GTE JZS161 swap!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 09-23-01, 07:35 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, it's just the compression.

What you CAN do...is get a stroker kit from JUN Japan. That will make your engine 3.3L, and also lower compression to 8.5:1. The kit is made for Supra TT's, hence the lower compression! Of course, you would for sure want a turbo at that point...with the lower compression you would lose power without one. Of course, you would gain power from the extra .3L, so...it may just even out until your turbo'd.

SR
Old 09-23-01, 08:56 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

yea but i like the fact that my car is 3.0L many races and comps max at 3.0L so 3.3 i would DQ and have to go to the next level, would it count since itwas 3 stock?
Old 09-23-01, 09:58 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Well now here's a tricky situation. Stroking the engine would put you into the next range...3.1 - up. BUT theres a problem with this. A friend of mine that auto-x's around here has a MR2 that has been stroked and bored over. MUCH more power than factory. He raced in the regular class for a loooong time. He finally got up there and started doing LARGE national events...still in the factory engine class. BIG MISTAKE. In local events and such, it was fine..."real" events...no.

The competition accused him of internal mods on the engine. Rules said that the engine had to be checked by an expert. If everything was factory as he quoted, the competition would have to pay for the tear down. If he said no, he would be disqualified. So he took his chances...and had them take it apart. They instantly knew it was modified, and he had to pay for the tear down, plus he got disqualified.

So it all comes down to that. Local comp's don't have rules like the sponsored stuff does...so it's all up to you to say whatever.

SR
Old 09-23-01, 11:59 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by CmputerWiz
And the GS3 with a nice turbo will SMOKE the C5, and still have room for 5 people and luggage. Not to mention the smooth ride. And not to mention to look on C5 drivers faces...when they GET smoked by a 4dr GS.

SR
You missed the point, in CA, you will not be able to pass smog with a turbo, which means you will not be able to drive your car on the road to pass any car. At least not legally.

Besides, if I buy a C5, I don't think I will leave it stock. And I will buy it with a 6spd so it will make a great club racer. How many people will be able to do that with a GS?
Old 09-23-01, 01:27 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

i think i'll keep it 3.0L thx though, also about that smog stuff, if i run 2lbs of boost of whatever i'll probobly still be smog legal
Old 09-23-01, 03:27 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I guess it's just me. I used to run SB and BB chevys...now I've changed over to small dispalcement large power things. I'd rather spend 20k on a GS300 and spend 20k making it smoke a viper...than to buy a C5 for 40k that I'll lose the needed warranty on when I mod it.

IMO of course! I'm not trying to start a post war here...lol I do love those C5's...but they've become a dime a dozen on the road...and I've only seen one manual 6-speed GS.

SR
Old 09-23-01, 05:10 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smog test?

Originally posted by LexusRules
i think i'll keep it 3.0L thx though, also about that smog stuff, if i run 2lbs of boost of whatever i'll probobly still be smog legal
Umm... no Sasha. I highly doubt running 21lbs of boost will be smog legal. Not even where you live. However, I believe a car with 8.5:1 compression w/o a turbo will pass smog. I think the trick is to swap out the turbo manifold (appliances included) and swap in the NA manifold with the extra cats. I think you'll pass the smog test with flying colors. When it's all done swap back the turbo setup.
Old 09-23-01, 10:50 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: smog test?

Originally posted by v300
Umm... no Sasha. I highly doubt running 21lbs of boost will be smog legal. Not even where you live. However, I believe a car with 8.5:1 compression w/o a turbo will pass smog. I think the trick is to swap out the turbo manifold (appliances included) and swap in the NA manifold with the extra cats. I think you'll pass the smog test with flying colors. When it's all done swap back the turbo setup.
cunning. So basically running the GS with a turbo kit, NOT hooked up? :eek: