Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help with turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-01, 08:19 PM
GS3-Kid858
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with turbo?

Hey everyone i have a serious question that i want to ask everyone okay? need some help ne ways here goes.... i'm thinking about turboing my car but i don't know what i need? please help everyone!! by the way i have a '98 GS300 thanks in advance

ted
Attached Thumbnails Help with turbo?-mvc-008f.jpg  
Old 09-19-01, 08:23 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Help with turbo?

Originally posted by GS3-Kid858
Hey everyone i have a serious question that i want to ask everyone okay? need some help ne ways here goes.... i'm thinking about turboing my car but i don't know what i need? please help everyone!! by the way i have a '98 GS300 thanks in advance

ted
talk to XS Engineering for turboing your car. It'll be kinda expensive, maybe 10k~12k I estimated. That's what you need. ALOT of money.

Few questions:

1) What's the diameter of your rims? 18s?
2) What width on the rims? 8.5F 9.5R?
3) What kinda exhaust? Blitz NURspec?
Old 09-19-01, 08:33 PM
GS3-Kid858
Driver

the rims are Blitz Technospeeds 18x8 and 18x10 and yea those are the Blitz Nur-spec good observations GlobleCLK.... okie what if i was to go for custom turbo?? what turbo would i need to purschase?
Old 09-19-01, 10:37 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

the rims are Blitz Technospeeds 18x8 and 18x10 and yea those are the Blitz Nur-spec good observations GlobleCLK.... okie what if i was to go for custom turbo?? what turbo would i need to purschase?
cool. NURspec what I wanted before. How do they sound?

If you go for turbo it will be custom anyways..... there's no KIT available for the GS or the IS300. They are all in-house custom jobs. XS has successfully done it on the IS300, and I'm sure they can do it for the GS no problem at all.
Old 09-19-01, 10:42 PM
GS3-Kid858
Driver

the sound is very nice.. nice deep tone at crusin and barely noticable at high speeds love them ... but yea bout the turbo?? is there any particular turbo u suggest? HKS? anything? my friend suggest the T/3 T/4 turbo?? not sure tho

ted
Old 09-19-01, 10:54 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

the sound is very nice.. nice deep tone at crusin and barely noticable at high speeds love them ... but yea bout the turbo?? is there any particular turbo u suggest? HKS? anything? my friend suggest the T/3 T/4 turbo?? not sure tho

ted
particular turbo.... I don't know about this. You'll need to contact XS for more info. Ask them what's the one they use on the IS, and most likely that's the one you'll need. 340rwhp I think?
Old 09-20-01, 08:36 AM
BBD
....BANNED! :-)

1) Turbo Manifolds
2) Turbo Size Twin or Singel up to you and the pipings.
3) Intercooler (Air to Air) or (Air to Liquid)
4) PIPING custom if you are wokring on it a lone if not get the ones for teh V300

5) ECU upgrade
6) Turbo Waste Gate and Turbo Timer for safty
7) Optional (if turbo size produces less than 12psi) a head gasket
Old 09-20-01, 09:01 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Be sure to bring lots of money......as pointed out above, it won't be a cheap undertaking nor is it a DIY.
Old 09-20-01, 12:08 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default I just couldn't help it

Lotsa money...
Attached Thumbnails Help with turbo?-v300_sing2.jpg  
Old 09-20-01, 12:13 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default curiousity

Originally posted by BBD
1) Turbo Manifolds
2) Turbo Size Twin or Singel up to you and the pipings.
3) Intercooler (Air to Air) or (Air to Liquid)
4) PIPING custom if you are wokring on it a lone if not get the ones for teh V300
5) ECU upgrade
6) Turbo Waste Gate and Turbo Timer for safty
7) Optional (if turbo size produces less than 12psi) a head gasket
BBD,

Where did you obtain your data? I think you're missing a few important things.
Old 09-20-01, 12:23 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Help with turbo?

ted
Hi Ted,

No offense, but my suggestion is to read up on any information regarding turbocharging a car. Then, once you have done that, start calling around the different tuners to ask them their feedback on the possibility of turbocharging the GS300.

I have a couple of concerns. First, the question you asked is not a simple one to answer and it will not take a forum post to answer it. Second, you know the saying, "if you have to ask, then it's too much for you" well, turbocharging a GS300 is not easy and it cost a lot of money. If money is no alternative, then send it to any legitimate tuner mentioned above and pay them a lump sum to do the job and they will gladly do it for you because if you don't do the research and knowledge on your own first, you would probably take whatever the tuner tells you as the final product. Any of the owners here who are attempting to add a turbocharger for the GS300 probably has extensive knowledge about their own car and how it works mechanically. Which means you have to get your hands dirty and start looking under the hood to see how everything works. That way, you won't get cheated out of your money and that's part of the fun in building up your car. Be prepared not to drive it for a very long time and also be prepared for a lot of refinments and tuning after you get it back before it runs just right which means more time in the shop. You might want to make friends with a tuner shop because you will be spending a lot of time there.

Now, you may already have extensive knowledge about engines, and cars, etc, so I apologize if I am assuming ignorance. It's just that the "turbo" question is not an easy question that anybody here can answer in one shot. That's my serious response. JMHO.

Brent

Last edited by BLiu; 09-20-01 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-20-01, 01:29 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want crazy power get a T78 Turbo or T88 from GReddy, thats what i have my eyes on..

(most people on clublexus think i'm crazy)
Old 09-20-01, 06:51 PM
GS3-Kid858
Driver

well then in this case it would be more reasonable to go for the GS400 then since its faster and i wouldn't need to turbo.... thanks guys

ted
Old 09-20-01, 08:14 PM
HKSpowerGS4
Driver

Sasha-
I like your thinking, but my opinion a T78 ot T88 would be too big for the GS300, especially with a 2jzge and an auto trans. It would take forever for it to spool up. =) Scale the size of the turbo down and you will still be more than happy.

To give a little better list of the basic parts needed for a complete turbo kit would be as follows: (not in any specific order)

1) Turbo Manifold (Single) / Manifolds (Twin)
2) Turbo(s)
3) Wastegate
4) Downpipe (routes Exhaust gas from turbo to exhaust)
5) Intercooler (Air to Air for street applications)
6) Piping from Turbo to I/C and from I/C to throttle body
7) Blowoff Valve
8) Fuel Management unit
9) Intake Filter

Other Aspects to Address / Optional Components:
Ignition Timing Retard
Headgasket
Boost Controller
Turbo Timer
..The list can go on..depend on how extravagent one may want to get...

Will
Old 09-21-01, 01:56 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

what about the oil line plumbing? Maybe a oil cooler and a tranny cooler also...

I almost think it might not too far out of the price bracket to just drop in a 2JZ-GTE and pay for the transplant (fun fun fun!)

OR

How about just a easy drop in of a SRT SuperCharger for $4500-$6000 (or more depending on how much power you want to make) and have a much lower install cost (as a matter of fact, you might be able to do it yourself)?

Not in the realm of inexpensive no matter what...you might as well sell your GS300, buy a GS400/GS430 and then add a supercharger!

Quick Reply: Help with turbo?