Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best additive for lsd

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-06, 04:47 PM
bigL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best additive for lsd

I just recieved my diff. from the tranny shop where they installed 3;76 gears and a TRD lsd.They informed I would need to add an additive but couldnt recommend anything for a toyota diff.Does anyone know of a good additive that is pretty easily found.Im planning on using Mobil syn. gear oil but am considering Royal purple anyone have a preference?Thanks
Old 05-14-06, 05:03 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Royal Purple already has the additive in it. I use that in my TRD dif
Old 05-14-06, 05:19 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

IMHO, nothing should ever be added to LSD...can make for bad trips.
Old 05-14-06, 05:59 PM
dmanbluesf
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
IMHO, nothing should ever be added to LSD...can make for bad trips.
Nice one. lol
Old 05-14-06, 09:49 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Royal Purple already has the additive in it. I use that in my TRD dif

or Redline....
Old 05-15-06, 05:55 AM
bigL
Pole Position

Royal Purple it is Thanks Guys.
Old 05-15-06, 05:56 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Just wanted to make sure you you 100% certain they installed a TRD LSD with 3.76 gears or are they using a Supra Torsen LSD with 3.76 gears?

The reason I ask is that the TRD clutch-type LSD is most typically installed with your OEM 3.2x gears where the Supra LSD is a full pumplin replacement including the 3.76 gears that come on some Supras.

You may have spec'd it this way and asked the right question above.... just thought it warranted asking to save you potential problems down the road if not.... the Supra Torsen LSD does not need the friction modifiers that the TRD clutch-type LSD does.

If it is really the TRD unit, I'd recommend the Redline fluid as well. Can use advanced search for 'redline' with my membername to find some posts about it.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-15-06 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-15-06, 06:10 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Just wanted to make sure you you 100% certain they installed a TRD LSD with 3.76 gears or are they using a Supra Torsen LSD with 3.76 gears?

The reason I ask is that the TRD clutch-type LSD is most typically installed with your OEM 3.2x gears where the Supra LSD is a full pumplin replacement including the 3.76 gears that come on some Supras.

You may have spec'd it this way and asked the right question above.... just thought it warranted asking to save you potential problems down the road if not.... the Supra Torsen LSD does not need the friction modifiers that the TRD clutch-type LSD does.

If it is really the TRD unit, I'd recommend the Redline fluid as well. Can use advanced search for 'redline' with my membername to find some posts about it.
Are you saying that Royal Purple is out of the question?
Old 05-15-06, 07:18 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Are you saying that Royal Purple is out of the question?
Are you saying that Redline is out of the question?

Of course not ... it's just my personal recommendation based on my personal experience, just like Royal Purple is yours. You didn't mention Redline in your post just like I didn't mention Royal Purple in mine. They're both fine products, I just like the Redline stuff better.

The main point of my post is that if he has a Supra 3.76 Torsen LSD he should not buy whatever-brand LSD fluid with a friction modifier in it. bigL's post seems to mix and match terms (3.76 usually associated with the Supra Torsen LSD - and - TRD which is a clutch LSD) so all I'm saying is get the right modifier/non-modifier fluid for whatever LSD he really has.
Old 05-15-06, 07:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Are you saying that Redline is out of the question?

Of course not ... it's just my personal recommendation based on my personal experience, just like Royal Purple is yours. You didn't mention Redline in your post just like I didn't mention Royal Purple in mine. They're both fine products, I just like the Redline stuff better.

The main point of my post is that if he has a Supra 3.76 Torsen LSD he should not buy whatever-brand LSD fluid with a friction modifier in it. bigL's post seems to mix and match terms (3.76 usually associated with the Supra Torsen LSD - and - TRD which is a clutch LSD) so all I'm saying is get the right modifier/non-modifier fluid for whatever LSD he really has.
LOL, your right. Both are good, but some folks can get confused with which Redline gear oil to buy since there are two varieties, compared to Royal Purple which only has one choice. For those with LSD's you must purchase Redline "75W90" and NOT "75W90NS"(non-LSD). Very confusing
From Redline:
75W90: A GL-5+ and GL-6 spec oil, preferred for use in conventional and LSD differentials. Contains limited-slip friction modifiers for decreased noise and better wear from clutch-type LSD units. Suitable for street and track.

75W90NS: A GL-5 oil, designed for conventional differentials, but can be used in clutch-type LSD units for increased locking rates, leading to reduced wheelspin. Not recommended for street-driven LSD units

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 05-15-06 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-15-06, 09:36 AM
bigL
Pole Position

I used the 3;76 gears from the supra diff. and the TRD cluth type carrier.Thanks for lookin out.
Old 05-15-06, 06:43 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bigL
I used the 3;76 gears from the supra diff. and the TRD cluth type carrier.Thanks for lookin out.
Very interesting combo - you may be the first. I'm currently running the 3.76 torsen and ran an ATS Carbon clutch type LSD with the stock gearing (sitting in my garage).

Now you got me thinking... So it's possible to swap gearing? I could create a 3.23 torsen diff and a 3.76 clutch type LSD with parts I already have?

Old 05-16-06, 05:02 AM
bigL
Pole Position

I hadnt heard of anyone doing this but couldnt see any reason why it wouldnt work.It all went together smoothly and in another day or so Ill know how it runs down the road.Ill post and let you all know how it goes.
Old 05-22-06, 08:04 AM
bigL
Pole Position

OK so I used royal purple and this combo is sweet!Couldnt be happier shes a monster.Not sure if anyone else has gone this route but its worth the headache.Thanks for all the insight.
Old 06-04-09, 11:54 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

how much gear oil does the diff take.. and if i went with redlines NS gear oil for non-lsd do you think that'll wear out the lsd unit quicker

Quick Reply: Best additive for lsd