Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe exhaust arrived today!! pix (56K go bake some bread)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 04:55 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ ive pretty much accepted the fact that no car will sound like my G coupe did that was the best sounding V6 ive ever heard. nissan/infiniti worked very very hard in designing that exhaust to sound like that. it was one of their main goals with the car.
Old 05-26-06, 05:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Hummm... I just looked at the pics and listend to the sounds...

I like the way it looks but I'm a bit dissappointed. I was hoping it would sound more agressive. I'm almost ashamed to say this but I was hoping it would have sounded like the G35.
it probably would sound a lot better if the stock system had a better location of the flanges for an exhaust. The only flange on the system to bolt on to is after the resonator, most aftermarket exhausts replace the resonator because there is a flange before this which is after the cats. But that isnt the case on the IS. If the resonator is replaced it would sound and flow a lot better and have better gains.

Unless you want to do some cutting welding and fabricating a custom resonator.
Old 05-26-06, 05:51 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

what if you take the resonator out completly and put the Tanabe on?
Old 05-26-06, 06:14 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

you know i just thought about that comment for 5 minutes. it could sound pretty damn good! it could sound like a freaking lawnmower too.

i come from the thought that the exhaust should compliment the engine. meaning it shouldn't just be a loud sound, but a souund that if closely listened to, could distinguish between firings. this comes out in a sound-of-sex with ferrari, and the devil released through exhaust on american muscle.
Old 05-26-06, 06:17 AM
jasoncd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
it probably would sound a lot better if the stock system had a better location of the flanges for an exhaust. The only flange on the system to bolt on to is after the resonator, most aftermarket exhausts replace the resonator because there is a flange before this which is after the cats. But that isnt the case on the IS. If the resonator is replaced it would sound and flow a lot better and have better gains.
Thank you for explaining how the exhaust system is laid out on the IS. I really need a picture of the underside. Still thinking to wait and see what other exhausts come out.
Old 05-26-06, 06:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by G35TOIS350
what if you take the resonator out completly and put the Tanabe on?
probably loud and raspy

heres some pics of the stock exhaust:

the piece on the bottom the dual cylinders are the cats, then following the resonator and youll see the flange which connects to the top set of exhausts. No flanges after the cat =

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 05-26-06 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-26-06, 06:39 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

exhaust manu's need to learn that this car needs catback systems...and i mean from the first set of cats

our car has 2 sets...2 right after the header, 2 right befor the res...i believe
Old 05-26-06, 06:44 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Do the 250 and 350 exhausts compatible?
Old 05-26-06, 07:13 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by G35TOIS350
^^ ive pretty much accepted the fact that no car will sound like my G coupe did that was the best sounding V6 ive ever heard. nissan/infiniti worked very very hard in designing that exhaust to sound like that. it was one of their main goals with the car.

Ya. the G does sound very nice. I guess I'll wait and see if there any other better sounding ones that come out later.
Old 05-26-06, 08:10 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by uschardcor
exhaust manu's need to learn that this car needs catback systems...and i mean from the first set of cats

our car has 2 sets...2 right after the header, 2 right befor the res...i believe
yea but there are no flanges to do a true bolt on connection. Most aftermarket manafacturers like to go bolt ons for simplicity. Also if someday the car would have to return to stock it wont be a pain to put the stock exhaust back in if you did cutting and welding
Old 05-26-06, 10:02 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

I was originally looking at the LMS but to be honest I didn't like the idea of getting rid of my cats. Not only for warranty but installation being a pain in the a$$ also. I think i'll be happy with this
Old 05-26-06, 10:20 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the piece on the bottom the dual cylinders are the cats, then following the resonator and youll see the flange which connects to the top set of exhausts. No flanges after the cat =
If I'm not mistaken, the dual cylinders are not the cats. The cats are further upstream right behind the engine. Cats will always have bungs to plug the 02 sensors in. I think this is more of a dual resonator cat back.
Old 05-26-06, 11:04 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from most other car exhuast systems Ive seen, those 2 cylinders seem to
be the cats. and the one big cylinder seems to be the resonator, i bet it'd sound
nice if some1 just replaced that resonator with a straight pipe, not to mention probably a 5-8 hp gain, and even if it didn't sound that good,It wouldnt be that hard to cut and weld it back on..
Old 05-27-06, 08:32 AM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

Funny that this thread is not even about dogs? Yet the first dog is way cooler
Old 05-28-06, 11:22 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Question. after installing the Tanabe exhaust is it still just as loose and wobbly as the stock exhsut? The stock exhaust is soooo lose and bounces all over the place on when the road. and especially over freeway lines.

Quick Reply: Tanabe exhaust arrived today!! pix (56K go bake some bread)