Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another DIY JB S&S Header Install - GS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 11:17 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

My headers were from the first set ( 20 headers ). I foolishly let them 'sit' around before finally installing them last weekend.

As far as responsiveness - definitely better. The car just gets going much quicker and as has been stated before the 'driveability' is much improved. I'm looking for excuses to drive my car and 'get into the throttle.' It's that much fun. I really don't care what the dyno says, this header set-up is just much better for my car and easily worth it IMO ( actually a bargain ).

I will doing a 2.25 inch Y pipe into an X pipe soon ( hopefully next week - waiting for stainless flanges to match-up to the cats ). The Y pipe set-up will be made out of 304L stainless steel - had to match my Carson Tuned catback exhaust I will welding the x pipe exits to my Carson Tuned pipes. Looking forward to the sound and performance. The headers, coupled with my SRT intake and custom Y pipe should allow my car to 'breath' properly.

Last edited by TeeLex; 05-31-06 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-31-06, 11:22 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by TeeLex
I will doing a 2.25 inch Y pipe into an X pipe soon ( hopefully next week - waiting for stainless flanges to match-up to the cats ). The Y pipe set-up will be made out of 304L stainless steel - had to match my Carson Tuned catback exhaust I will welding the x pipe exits to my Carson Tuned pipes. Looking forward to the sound and performance. The headers, coupled with my SRT intake and custom Y pipe should allow my car to 'breath' properly.
That sounds like a very good plan!

Looking forward to the completion of your "better breating upgrades" (sound clips!!).

I guess you will be getting rid of the resonator in the Y section just like I did?

Does your CarsonTuned cat back have resonators in it like the stock setup? If it does, I will be curious to hear the difference between yours and mine (considering that I don't have any resonators at all anymore )once you get it done.
Old 05-31-06, 11:36 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Hameed,

Of couse my plan was inspired by your work and suggestions from jbrady.

Yes, the 3rd cat, in my case, will be eliminated and replaced with the X pipe.

My Carson Tuned exhaust does have resonators. The Carson Tuned exhaust is 2.5 inch tubing and I would think that it probably does not restrict the flow too severly. Thus, I have not really decided if I will remove the resonators or not. I have enough 2.5 inch stainless tubing to remove the resonators if I decide to go that route ( I'll have to cut the Carson Tuned catback pipe with the resonators regardless to connect it to the X pipe ). Obviously I'll have to make this decision soon. I will have essentially the same set-up as you unless I leave the resonators on ( and of course, different mufflers ). Hope I get those flanges soon
Old 06-01-06, 07:50 PM
MrJAAY
Rookie

so basically we will need to get an extra 02 sensor right? how much is that?
and the passenger side 02 can be extended?
your input is appreciated...i thinking of ordering soon
thanx,
Old 06-01-06, 08:01 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

If you have some basic soldering skills you could 'just' extend both harnesses. I bought the passenger side O2 sensor from Denso directly ( ~$110 ), thinking I would only need that longer harness for the driver side ( based on the SC430 experience ). I was not aware that the passenger side would not reach either, thus I needed to extend it. Really I could have 'just' extended both sides. It is something you need to plan for on a GS430. Again I used 16 gage wire, copper crimps, solder, shrink tubing, electrical tape and wire protector - may have gone a little overboard, but I did not want the sensor to fail and so far so good. Certainly you could save yourself some money extending both sides. You could also probably find longer harnesses by ordering 'universal' Bosch O2 sensors. Good luck.
Old 06-01-06, 08:30 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Jaay, another possibility here is that there is indeed a difference between the GS430 and theh GS400. I noticed that your profile says you have a GS400.

I was trying to recall for my GS400 what I had done, because I don't recall buying or making any harness extensions for the O2 sensor.
I *THINK* all I had to do was modify the way my harness was held to the chassis. I think I unbolted a tiny bracket and that gave me the slack I needed, then I tie wrapped the harness into place after that.

You might want to check my notes on that.

Old 06-01-06, 09:57 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Again I used 16 gage wire, copper crimps, solder, shrink tubing, electrical tape and wire protector - may have gone a little overboard, but I did not want the sensor to fail and so far so good. Certainly you could save yourself some money extending both sides. You could also probably find longer harnesses by ordering 'universal' Bosch O2 sensors. Good luck.

You should actually get some o2 wire from a junkyard, the wires are very specific to properly read the values from the o2 sensor. Not to mention there may be a heater wire, which is also designed differently that regular wire types with different sleaving for the heat generated.
Old 06-03-06, 05:05 AM
MrJAAY
Rookie

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
Hey Jaay, another possibility here is that there is indeed a difference between the GS430 and theh GS400. I noticed that your profile says you have a GS400.

I was trying to recall for my GS400 what I had done, because I don't recall buying or making any harness extensions for the O2 sensor.
I *THINK* all I had to do was modify the way my harness was held to the chassis. I think I unbolted a tiny bracket and that gave me the slack I needed, then I tie wrapped the harness into place after that.

You might want to check my notes on that.

Hey thanx for the comments dude, i appreciate it!
Yes, its a Gs400....so basically u didn't extened any of the wires.....??? I heard from friends that if you extend the 02 it will set off the check engine light because the signal will not properly travel or read etc... i duno...just saying what i heard!

Sorry if i ask stupid questions, but i will order a set from carson this week! gaskets are no problem, i'm only concerned about this 02 issue....the rest is up 2 the mechanic 2 install the headers....i just don't want downtime because of some unforseen problems.
Old 06-03-06, 06:04 AM
MrJAAY
Rookie

ok here is the deal.....after hours of reading and reading and searching, i've found that i need 2 possibly buy a passenger side 02 sensor + wire? since its longer than the drivers side?

Just incase? or 4 sure its not required on the Gs4's?

thanx again in advance 4 answering my newbieeee questions, LOL
Old 06-03-06, 04:36 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

I've driven over 250 miles since the install and NO CEL. As I stated above, I did extend the passenger side harness, and the car is running great. Copper crimps plus solder, heat shrink, tape and wire protector will do the job, if done properly. The difference in length is insignificant relative to the ability to read the sensor correctly. After all the 430 has different length harnesses from the factory.

Sounds like BA did not need extensions or additional O2 sensors on his GS400.

Last edited by TeeLex; 06-04-06 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-04-06, 05:15 AM
MrJAAY
Rookie

Sounds like BA did not need extensions of additional O2 sensors on his GS400.

Every car is a bit different, you never know whats in store for ya, better be safe than sorry!

incase of the Gs4, the passenger side 02 wiring is longer than the driver side? like the 430's?
I rather buy a new 1 than try to mess with the wires, thats all i'm saying...

but let me get this straight....if the original 02's don't reach, what makes us believe buying new 1's will solve the problem? unless putting the passenger side + wire on the driverside?

Because from what i understand pearlpower has had some problems when he extended the 02 wires, he eventually fixed it, but not all of us are technically inclined like yourself, him and BA_400