Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe Exhaust Installed - 1st impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 03:03 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The good thing about getting it professionally installed is that some places will have stands that will keep the system elevated in place while it is being torqued down at the flanges-- this can help make it easier so sits evenly, instead of sitting lopsided on the first try and then making adjustments afterwards.

It's definitely do-able with one person, just be sure to have something to prevent the pipes from swinging down and hitting you or something else. Best to start by unbolting the connection to the factory exhaust, and work your way on out to the muffler hangars. Using some lubrication on the rubber hangar mounts makes it much easier to remove and re-insert.

To install, just do it in reverse.
Old 05-30-06, 03:03 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj Rando
Would you say that there needs to be more than 1 person when you do the install? I am debating whether to put it on myself, or just take it to get it done professionally?
If you have ramps/jackstands, you should be able to do it yourself fairly easily. It would sure help if you had another person but from the way it looks (Put in right rear muffler into the rubber hangers and bolt it to the mid-pipe flange. Then put the left rear muffler into the hangers and them bolt it into the flange of the right rear pipe. The rubber hangers will give you enough play to line up the bolts.)
Old 05-30-06, 03:12 PM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

Originally Posted by al503
If you have ramps/jackstands, you should be able to do it yourself fairly easily. It would sure help if you had another person but from the way it looks (Put in right rear muffler into the rubber hangers and bolt it to the mid-pipe flange. Then put the left rear muffler into the hangers and them bolt it into the flange of the right rear pipe. The rubber hangers will give you enough play to line up the bolts.)
Thanks for the help. I think I might attempt this one on my own. Save the cash and get something else!!!
Old 05-30-06, 03:21 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj Rando
Save the cash and get something else!!!
Mods are expensive IMO. Paying to have them installed makes them more so. While I wouldn't suggest tackling a BBK if you've never done one before and don't have the acumen, it would be hard to screw up an 'axle back' exhaust replacement.
Old 05-30-06, 03:23 PM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

Mods are expensive IMO. Paying to have them installed makes them more so. While I wouldn't suggest tackling a BBK if you've never done one before and don't have the acumen, it would be hard to screw up an 'axle back' exhaust replacement.
Cool. I will take pics of the process when I do it so more info can be posted for CL members.
Old 05-30-06, 03:26 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Agreed, an "axle back" exhaust shouldn't be very hard, just a few bolts.
Old 05-30-06, 04:34 PM
Ichigo
Pole Position

The install was extremely easy. My friend could have done it by himself, but I asked to help out to learn how to do it. We also assembled the exhaust first and then attached it to the hangers. But I guess you could hang each canister and then connect it once mounted...

One trick that we used to help out was to have some file boxes to place under the canisters to keep them in place while tightening all of the bolts in place. I called around and was getting quotes of $80-100 for installation... with that savings you could almost get a JoeZ intake pipe or a cheap tint job...
Old 05-30-06, 05:11 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice transformation... The tips really bring out the rear end of the car... Nice Mod...
Old 05-30-06, 05:32 PM
Jon-Jon
Rookie

Originally Posted by caymandive
So what is that black cylinder thingy?
I was wondering the same thing. I just had mine installed last week. Great write up, I couldn't agree more. I thought that maybe the black rubber part was to help with the vibration. Did you notice that along with throttle response, you feel a little vibration through the floor board of the car? Not sure how that would help though. Anyways, I was thinking of putting it on to see if theres any difference with or without it since the Tanabe exhaust has a bracket the seems to go in the same place.
Old 05-30-06, 08:55 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
I
Ichigo, do you work for Toyota?

I ask because we're right next door to Toyota Nat'l headquarters and all of the employees have the "Moving Forward" or "Passionate Pursuit..." plates. I've never seen those plates on a non-employee car.
I'm going to assume it is an employee purchase vehicle given the license plate frame.

The other give-away for a Toyota employee car is look for the "T" sticker in the lower right corner of the rear window. It will be either a black T on a white background or a white T on a red background. People with the "T" stickers are managers. There are also red "R" and "P" stickers for company rental and pool vehicles.

And yes, I work for Toyota which is how I know about the stickers
Old 07-21-06, 03:04 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are the Tanabe Resonators located?
Old 07-21-06, 06:28 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t0e
Where are the Tanabe Resonators located?
Tanabe doesn't make resonators...
Old 07-21-06, 08:40 AM
sab504
Pit Crew

Pictures doesn't work, please repost.
Old 07-25-06, 08:29 PM
suprafrank
Rookie

Thanks for the review. You answered all my questions about Tanabe exhaust. I can't wait to get mine. Hopefully in 4 weeks or so.
Old 01-29-07, 07:55 AM
viettho
Lead Lap

repost pictures please. THanks

Quick Reply: Tanabe Exhaust Installed - 1st impressions