Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turboing a GS300

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 09:00 PM
treimche
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wahoo50
Can someone advise if the GTE Supra block comes from the factory with steel mains? My car runs great at 14.7 lbs boost, but I think there's more in it at 20-25 lbs. I will install the Supra short block for the extra hp, but if I'll have to modify it I may as well buy a built shortblock. Opinions please.
I can't answer the question if they are steel mains or not, but whatever they are made out of, is definitely very strong. The stock GTE motor will take a LOT of power when tuned properly.

So I've pretty much decided on getting a 98-99 GS3, and my next concern is the transmission. Boost Logic does a build for $1800, but how strong is that going to be? They are claiming it is proven to run 9s. I guess I should note that on their site it says it's a NA supra tranny, so how much different is the GS300 trannY/
Old 07-07-06, 05:33 AM
ranger2339
Driver

If you wanna get a quick easy fix for your "weak" vvti block just get a NA supra GE block,3mm HG,head studs, some fuel upgrades etc. You will have plenty of room for power with that set up..

The supra GE bottom end is the same as the GTE one minus some oil squirters in the block, it can hande 700whp+..

Josh
Old 07-07-06, 08:04 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger2339
If you wanna get a quick easy fix for your "weak" vvti block just get a NA supra GE block,3mm HG,head studs, some fuel upgrades etc. You will have plenty of room for power with that set up..

The supra GE bottom end is the same as the GTE one minus some oil squirters in the block, it can hande 700whp+..

Josh
WOAH.... You have some VERY wrong info there. 1st of all the GE bottom end is NOWHERE near as strong as the TT block. The pistons are different, the rods are different, and yes, there are oil squirters. Don't buy a NA supra block, it is the SAME block that is in your car now and you would be wasting all sorts of money doing that for nothing.
Old 07-08-06, 12:01 AM
treimche
Driver

Originally Posted by macd7919
WOAH.... You have some VERY wrong info there. 1st of all the GE bottom end is NOWHERE near as strong as the TT block. The pistons are different, the rods are different, and yes, there are oil squirters. Don't buy a NA supra block, it is the SAME block that is in your car now and you would be wasting all sorts of money doing that for nothing.
From what I've read, the 1st generation GE block is the exact same as the NA supra block, and the 2nd generation block has weaker rods and pistons. So even though it isn't a terrible idea to get a NA surpra block to put in, it's still not really worth it.
Old 07-09-06, 01:14 AM
Ku@
Pole Position

Default hmm.

i blew my na-t motor pretty recently -.- kinda
well tranny can't really handle much and yet it'll cause lots of stress when u are running
turbo. , it should be able to handle 380 hp
and ur motor should be good till 400hp

but i would recommend u to get
Arias Pistons , eagle rods, arp studs, pretty much built

if u want to go easier and cheaper way, u could also swap 2jz-gte vvti motor into ur 2nd gen gs

when i blew up my car all i had was headgasket with 80k miles and i was running about 11psi around 340-360 hp i belive.
Old 07-09-06, 09:09 PM
ranger2339
Driver

Go to SF and talk to a guy named dave H(he runs 9's on a stock NA block he has a 3MM HG, head studs fuel etc. ), he will explain it all to you, or talk to the many other guys running a NA-T set up.
The rods and crank are all the same as a GTE block(at least in the supra NA, not sure about the GS block or vvti...The pistons are different.....Not all GE blocks are the same im just talking about the supra GE block.....
The weak part is the higher comp. pistons and HG that will blow the HG at high boost.......
The NA supra block is the same as the GTE minus the oil squirters for the pistons..There are guys running some high HP numbers like 700whp plus more......
If you want to run 500whp on a NA supra block with 3MM or equal HG,headstuds,fuel, a good tune is very important, it will not be a problem, plus if you blow a GE block you can get em used for about $300.00...GTE block is about $1000.00 to $1500.00....

SF NA section http://www.supraforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Taken from SF...................Talking about SUPRA GE block!!!
First thing...Blocks are indentical. The only difference is when they use the block for a twin turbo they have drilled and tapped out the bosses on the block for turbo oil feed and they have also drilled out the bosses for oil squirters. The bosses are already there on the N/A block as they are indentical blocks, they just haven't been machined out.

Crank and Rods are completely interchangeable.

Pistons on the N/A do not have as deep of a dish in them, hence higher compression. Swapping in a TT head gasket in place of the N/A gasket will yield around 9.2 to 1 compression, or you can go with a 3mm gasket and drop it even lower.

Judging by DaveH's running a 9.4 on N/A pistons, they appear to be the same quality as the TT pistons, just higher compression, so swap in a TT or 3mm headgasket.

Looking at DaveH's accomplishments in running a 9.4 on a completely stock N/A motor including a stock N/A head(all he did was swap in a 3mm head gasket and ARP studs), switching to a TT head is not necessary though, nor is changing the bottom end if you are only looking for 700whp or so...

I think the supra NA block will work for you!!!!

Josh

Originally Posted by macd7919
Old 07-09-06, 09:22 PM
treimche
Driver

Thanks for the good info. I actually live in the same town as Dave H, and talk to him pretty often.
Old 07-10-06, 04:37 AM
ranger2339
Driver

Shiiiiit if you live next to dave tell him ranger2339 from SF said hi,im looking to buy his 9sec NA-T supra............Hes like a NA god he will answer all your questions, your hooked up...

Josh
Old 10-31-06, 12:58 PM
TurboBuick
Driver School Candidate

I'm actually new here and also interested in a new project. very soon I will be purchasing a lexus gs300! As far as turboing goes would you guy recommend the first gen gs300(93-97) or the 2nd gen(98-whatever) I like them both but I want the one that has the best aftermarket and holds boost better!
Old 10-31-06, 01:51 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

second gen has more mods all around if you ask me.
Old 10-31-06, 03:45 PM
treimche
Driver

I would have to recommend a 93-97 GS300 if you're looking at turboing it. The motor is stronger, wiring and an EMS would be much easier, but the drivetrain is still going to be expensive. I've basically decided against even turboing my 98 GS3 because to do what I would want it to do would be a huge pain in the ***. So for me anyways, I'll just get another really cheap car that I can cut up and put a cage in, and not have to worry about it being unreliable.