Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turboing a GS300

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 12:12 PM
treimche
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turboing a GS300

I'm wondering if anyone knows about how much HP a stock 2nd gen GS300 motor will take before eating itself. This would be with a single turbo, thick head gasket and head studs, and all supporting mods. I'm curious if the internals in this motor are the exact same as the NA Supra motor or not? Also if you had a choice would you turbo a 2nd gen or 1st gen GS3? Thanks!
Old 05-31-06, 10:26 PM
treimche
Driver

It looks like theres not much info out there. Either not many people have done it, or else the people who have don't want to talk about it, or don't come here!
Old 05-31-06, 10:51 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is all about "search"
Old 05-31-06, 10:53 PM
treimche
Driver

I have searched, and unless I'm doing it wrong, I haven't found any really good info yet.
Old 06-01-06, 01:11 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

your good for atleast 500hp on that head gasket but tranny is a def. no no.. ur allowed if and only if the tranny allows 375-hp on that ... but what turbo.. and fuel system how much boost ??as long as your not to lean or rich... u should be fine..... but unless ur trying for 1000hp u need alot more then a head gasket
Old 06-01-06, 02:14 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bings GS300 is turboed, for the second time. He blew it up not to too long ago so I am sure he can give you some insight
Old 06-01-06, 03:28 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

To answer your other questions we do not have the supra internals. That is the 2JZ-GTE while we have the 2JZ-GE...Your tranny should handle no more than 375...
Old 06-01-06, 04:41 PM
treimche
Driver

Originally Posted by bighitbike
To answer your other questions we do not have the supra internals. That is the 2JZ-GTE while we have the 2JZ-GE...Your tranny should handle no more than 375...
I know the GS3 doesn't have the 2JZ-GTE internals, I was just making sure that they are the exact same as the NA Supra 2JZ-GE. Now how about the VVTI part, is that hard to tune? I would be using the AEM EMS for tuning.
Old 06-01-06, 04:46 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It will probably be more cost effective to swap the motor out for an aristo motor than to try to get high hp out of the 2JZGE motor... I was debating the same thing and its more expensive per HP to modify the stock motor. Plus the 2JZGTE has alot more potential, just look at the supra TT.

Last edited by GSoup; 06-01-06 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-07-06, 07:03 PM
wahoo50
Driver School Candidate

Can someone advise what an 'arista' engine is? I have a GS300 turbo'd but want to run higher boost. Have been advised to swap in a GTE Supra engine block and internals. But does this engine have steel caps? Is there an engine block available for sale that is built for big HP rather than buying an engine, then having to beef up?
Old 06-07-06, 07:12 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wahoo50
Can someone advise what an 'arista' engine is? I have a GS300 turbo'd but want to run higher boost. Have been advised to swap in a GTE Supra engine block and internals. But does this engine have steel caps? Is there an engine block available for sale that is built for big HP rather than buying an engine, then having to beef up?
First off, its called an Aristo Before 05' there was no Lexus in Japan. So their GS equivalent was called the Toyota Aristo. They didn't have the v8 like we do here. Instead they have the turbo inline-6 AKA: 2JZ-GTE. If you buy an aristo clip, everything pretty much swaps over directly since the car itself is a GS in the first place.

As for buying a pre-built race motor....its a LOT more expensive than beefing up your stock motor. However, the pre-built ones are tested and garuanteed. The one you do yourself is not. The best/cheapest option is to go with a GTE bottom end, I believe it is a direct swap. I think that is good for at least 600hp up to 800hp or so.

Anyways back to the original topic:
Originally Posted by treimche
I know the GS3 doesn't have the 2JZ-GTE internals, I was just making sure that they are the exact same as the NA Supra 2JZ-GE. Now how about the VVTI part, is that hard to tune? I would be using the AEM EMS for tuning.
The VVT-i GE motor has weaker(thinner) rods than the non-VVTi one. This was done to reduce the rotational mass so the engine can rev up quicker. Same thing was changed from the GS400->GS430....thinner rods. So yes, the VVTi GE is not as strong as the old GE. As for the VVTi, most people making lower hp "300-400hp" leave it as is and let the factory ecu control it while having a piggyback on top. People running higher Hp setups (500hp+) usually run standalone and disable the VVTi by replacing it with a solid adjustable cam. Since at those power levels you don't want the stock ecu screwing around with the timing and as a result blowing up your motor.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 06-07-06 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-07-06, 07:42 PM
BobaDrift
Pole Position

Check out the Club NA-T forum and you'll be surprised how much horsepower a stock 2JZ-GE will make.
The weak link as mentioned before is the tranny. I myself am contemplating adding a turbo to my 99 GS300. Of course I won't be going for high horsepower levels, so a built tranny is not required for me.
Old 06-07-06, 10:27 PM
treimche
Driver

Originally Posted by BobaDrift
Check out the Club NA-T forum and you'll be surprised how much horsepower a stock 2JZ-GE will make.
The weak link as mentioned before is the tranny. I myself am contemplating adding a turbo to my 99 GS300. Of course I won't be going for high horsepower levels, so a built tranny is not required for me.
The 2JZ-GE VVTI will need some upgraded pistons and rods, such as stock 2JZ-GTE parts, to make it hold higher HP levels. Just making sure you caught that. I'm leaning much more towards a 2nd gen GS now after looking at them for a while. The tranny issue won't be too hard to fix, but the next big one is going to be the engine management.
Old 06-08-06, 12:03 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To cap this off. VVT-I 2jz-GE has lighter rods and different design. Toyota changed out the valve cuts and combustion chamber for better burn. If you are looking to run more than 500whp, the tranny has to be built. You will will also need a TT bottom end. We are finish our PCS piggy back system this week on a customer car. Here are some spec on the car. PCS, 440cc injectors, TT bottom end, TT h/g etc, JPI valvebody upgrade.
JPI
Old 06-14-06, 07:54 PM
wahoo50
Driver School Candidate

Can someone advise if the GTE Supra block comes from the factory with steel mains? My car runs great at 14.7 lbs boost, but I think there's more in it at 20-25 lbs. I will install the Supra short block for the extra hp, but if I'll have to modify it I may as well buy a built shortblock. Opinions please.

Quick Reply: Turboing a GS300