Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz-gte Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 06:40 PM
BurgandyGS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI.... If you are planning to do the VVT-i swap, just be ready to spend a lot of time and money tuning it well. When you put your car under extreme load, the VVT-i is constantly adjusting your a/f ratio. This engine will run decent but your a/f's will constantly be changing. You can tune your car for hours, like I have, and then the computer will start adjusting again and again. A lot of guys just keep the maf on and run an afc but you will never be able to tune it properly or get big power. If they say they can, there wrong. If you want to take the maf off and get bigger injectors, etc., etc. , you will need a HKS F-con pro-v. That is expensive but will be like factory. See, there isn't a lot of tuning systems that can work on the VVT-i system. I heard greddy was coming out with one, but who knows. Bottom line, if you want big power, don't forget to factor that aspect into it prior. I will probably just disengage the VVT-i and call it a day. There are a couple of ways to bypass it and trick the computer. Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-07, 06:49 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Map ECU2 looks like it may be promising.
Old 01-15-07, 06:52 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

the Map ECU 2 that is coming out was suppose to be better for the obd2 guys. But still waiting on people to test.

But i also agree about the tuning thing... thats one reason why i'm still on the stock ecu. HKS fcon is about $2500 tuned.. and a Tec3 can be used also i believe.. but thats just too much $$
Old 01-15-07, 07:00 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Well I will say that on the 1uz the computer is a little easier to manage with a piggy back

EVen though since I went up in boost to 17psi I am starting to have some issues.
Old 01-15-07, 07:02 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

what are you currently using morris?
Old 01-15-07, 07:08 PM
BurgandyGS
Pole Position

I'm using the map-ecu1 and like I said, It's a great system for the money. I actually went to the website and downloaded the new software and I'm using the new fuel table because it has more cells. I did see that the new one has a table for the O2 sensor, but I'm not sure it will solve it. I don't want to be the test dummy, they are pretty much the same except for a lot of stuff I wont be using. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-15-07, 07:12 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Just wait it out till more people test that ecu. Or till powerhouse test it on an obd2
Old 01-18-07, 12:19 PM
DangGS3
Pole Position

THIS IS THE BEST THREAD EVER!!!!!!!!!!! i am thinking of droppin in a gte 6spd (the engine ive been DREAMIN about since i was in JR HIGH). Should i go wit the jdm motor or the usdm? also anyone have a picture of the hand brake conversion?

Thanks

P.S. im new to clublexus, barely bought my gs3 on thanksgiving. but everyone has been very helpful. THANKS A BUNCH CL MEMBERS!!
Old 01-23-07, 09:57 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you had to do it over again would you have gone w/ the Non-VVTi?

and yes this is a great read.... i'm looking to swap mine in as soon as I am comfortable w/ my knowledge of everything it entails. No i'm not swapping it in myself but I like to know everything thats going on.
Old 01-24-07, 12:56 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally would stay Vvti. It is a little harder to work with but you in turn get more bottom end power which is nice if your daily driving the car. Burgundy...You mention the car isn't capable running big power on a maf/afc combo, what kind of power are you thinking of when you say that?
Old 01-24-07, 10:12 AM
Jay
Lexus Champion

If I ever do it again ?? I would do a simple motor swap with non-vvti 2jzgte motor with ALL stock mode (twin turbo). Simple and clean and enough power to get you going !! I would NOT go too crazy, such as single turbo upgrade nor crazy HP such !!
Old 01-24-07, 04:48 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^show off! I'm frkkkin jealous. Single turbo's r just so purrty in the engine bay. Plus boost should be felt instantly instead of gradual..... u have fun w/ it, you know u do!
Old 01-24-07, 05:36 PM
Jay
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UptownGS
^^show off! I'm frkkkin jealous. Single turbo's r just so purrty in the engine bay. Plus boost should be felt instantly instead of gradual..... u have fun w/ it, you know u do!
Hahahha... LMAO !!!! Well, you got me there !!! LOL
Old 01-24-07, 08:29 PM
BurgandyGS
Pole Position

Well if I was gonna do it again... I would do the VVT-i swap and leave the stock twins. I got a little carried away and want like 500-600hp. I would of been happy with 300-400. Well I probably would've wanted more. Anyway, to answer the comment about power, I am talking over 500hp. I will be there very soon. Just a lot of bugs to work out.
Old 01-26-07, 05:45 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Thank you for making up my mind for me as to run a single or stick with the stock twins. I have been speaking to Boost Logic about sponsoring a big single kit, but from what I have read, maybe I will steer away for a while, at least until I am ready. At this point, I just want my car up and running. I did purchase a set of USDM Supra twins, but there's too much modification needed to get them fit, at least from what we saw.

Quick Reply: 2jz-gte Conversion