Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz-gte Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-09, 11:32 AM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Throtttle cable do you use with this swap? I think some people mentioned using the throlle cable from a mkiv supra
Old 08-16-09, 08:29 PM
Burton
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Deception
What Throtttle cable do you use with this swap? I think some people mentioned using the throlle cable from a mkiv supra
I got a front clip and I used the cable that came with it. It is way lond and has to loop around, but it works. The supra cable looks like it would work, but I have not actually tried it.

Ben
Old 08-17-09, 07:27 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

the supra throttle cable works. mine is from a 1996 toyota supra twin turbo. bolts right in no modification.
Old 08-18-09, 07:54 PM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

why did you get the 4spd auto? i can understand not wanting manual but with a car as good as yours u need more than 4 gears
Old 08-19-09, 02:51 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats just the way they come, even in the twin turbo auto supra its 4spd,
Old 08-20-09, 10:21 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300-2002
why did you get the 4spd auto? i can understand not wanting manual but with a car as good as yours u need more than 4 gears
Originally Posted by bluelex
Thats just the way they come, even in the twin turbo auto supra its 4spd,
plus less boost loss from a auto in between shifts
Old 02-25-11, 08:55 PM
Crewmaxter
Driver School Candidate

This is a nice set up! Keep up the good work
Old 02-25-11, 10:44 PM
SBM2jLEX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starting my swap this weekend

This thread was one of my sources for info
Old 02-26-11, 05:07 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

just did the swap saturday took all of 3.5 hours from start to finish with engine back in and started ...however yesterday realized my gas gauge is not working .. is it possible i damaged the float for the sender or maybe the siphon hose in the tank is obstructing the float from moving .. any input on this

and also have a check engine light had codes pulled via jdm code reader and it says no signal from maf input .. was told that the engine should have come with jdm maf but found out the one i have is a us spec maf so it wont communicate unless a pin is moved so right now its in limp mode wont rev above 3k rpm
Old 02-28-11, 03:00 PM
2jzgttegs
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BurgandyGS
Use the ecu from the aristo and it will wire right in if you have the skematic. You don't even have to extend the wiring harness. I'm using a map-ecu from performance motor research. It was only 400 dollars and it eliminates your maf and fuel concerns. My car was running 3 hrs after wirning began. They probably don't have any experience with that setup. Go to a Supra shop if you can.
I notice your using A MAP ecu for your setup. I ordered a MAP ecu to from MVP motorsports & was wondering who tuned your car with the MAP ecu?
Old 04-11-11, 10:38 PM
gijohnnyb
Driver

I am going to be doing the swap in the next 6 months...I was considering going 5 spd manual with the R154 transmission...should I go with a supra R154 or one from a Soarer? If I stay Auto, which auto transmission is going to hold out w/600+ HP?
Old 07-18-11, 01:39 PM
vanquish2
Rookie

just to add to the wealth of info.....per burtons guidance I only added the single wire from the igniter to the ecu harness and everything works! Dash lights, tach, maf, everything! No check engine lights yet either! Use the supra throttle cable.....also if you don't get the power steering res bracket but you DO get the res....buy the bracket from a 01-05 GS430...the res pops right in and the bracket can be slightly modded to fit and look factory!

Last edited by vanquish2; 07-18-11 at 01:39 PM. Reason: to add subscription
Old 09-02-11, 06:28 AM
2003jzs160
Driver School Candidate

I just finished my swap yesterday, the best way to do this is use the factory ecu. Custom build a harness out of the factory GE harness. Because both engines are the same this is actually really easy. Go single turbo right away, the factory twins suck. Upgrade the GTE fuel system and your good. My personal opinion, get a AEM FIC controller with a patch harness. They make them for the GS and IS. There are also companies which built the patch harness for you. Under this system you get the drivability of the factory GS with the power of the engine. Also if you have questions about the Transmission; the A650E is able to hold around 400 hp when stock rebuilt with a cooler. After that, companies like IPT have kits and complete rebuild options for this transmission. So in the end, you get a GS with a 5 speed, 2JZGTE vvti engine, single turbo, factory feel and drivability.
Old 09-02-11, 06:56 AM
vanquish2
Rookie

Interesting...I left the GTE harness on the engine during the install and added a single wire that took maybe 5 min. I couldn't imagine the wiring being any easier. It was actually much easier than I expected.

I would however agree with most of the turbo comments. It is much easier to remove them when the engine is out of the car so if you have the money on plan on doing it soon.....you might as well do it now. On the other hand....the factory turbos are capable of quite a bit of HP and a lot of fast spooling fun. If you can't afford the single turbo changeover just use the twins....they come with the swap and make for a much better time than the stock GS engine. I like having full boost at 2500 rpm....

Just my .02
Old 09-02-11, 06:58 AM
vanquish2
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2003jzs160
I just finished my swap yesterday, the best way to do this is use the factory ecu. Custom build a harness out of the factory GE harness. Because both engines are the same this is actually really easy. Go single turbo right away, the factory twins suck. Upgrade the GTE fuel system and your good. My personal opinion, get a AEM FIC controller with a patch harness. They make them for the GS and IS. There are also companies which built the patch harness for you. Under this system you get the drivability of the factory GS with the power of the engine. Also if you have questions about the Transmission; the A650E is able to hold around 400 hp when stock rebuilt with a cooler. After that, companies like IPT have kits and complete rebuild options for this transmission. So in the end, you get a GS with a 5 speed, 2JZGTE vvti engine, single turbo, factory feel and drivability.
Now that I think about it....what I mentioned above only applies to 09-01 GS....if yours is indeed a 2003 than I would agree about what you had mentioned in regards to the wiring.

Quick Reply: 2jz-gte Conversion