Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supercharging vs. Turbocharging

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 06:09 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i honestly can't answer that since i haven't done it myself, i'm just sharing what i've read on here after months of pouring over engine swap threads and talking to others who have done it.

bigger turbos? why not just increase the boost? i'd honestly be concerned about the tranny handling the power (unless you get an aristo tranny as well - they'll handle the power) since the stock US gs300 tranny is only really good for approx 400 rwhp.

i can't imagine it being an issue to swap to the single, lots of supra owners have done the same with their cars.
Old 06-07-06, 06:13 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

doing a aristo vvti motor swap is more involved and costly then you think
Old 06-07-06, 06:35 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any all out swap is going to get costly..........if you really wanted to get big power out of any engine, your gonna have to build it to handle the power. On the 2JZGTE, going single is where its at, once again, you then have to build the engine to take advantage of the big turbo, beef up the fuel system, build the tranny, and it goes on and on. you will always be chasing the weak link. Im not trying to scare you away from this by any means, as you can build up in stages. If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought a GS3 and threw a 2JZGTE in there with the 6 speed tranny. I would have saved a ton of money, and more HP. The V8 engine TQ is another story, you cant beat that.

good luck with it
Old 06-07-06, 02:11 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Keep in mind though I'm not trying to build a monster. I just want to put out about 350-375hp. I'm also going to do a torque converter, headers and exhaust. I wanted to know which mod would be more reliable and driveable between supercharging and turbocharging. Even if I don't reach those numbers, I'm more concerned with driveability and reliability.
Old 06-07-06, 04:48 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure if everyone (early posts) noticed that you had a GS300, certainly some of the later posts did.

Do you want 350-375 "motor" HP, or do you want that at the rear wheels?

I would say that since you have a GS3 already, go single Turbo. LOTS and LOTS of people have already done this, and there's no reason for you to try to re-invent the wheel here. Go with what others have already learned works, and what parts are needed.

turbo.
Old 06-07-06, 06:04 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I also read somewhere that a supercharger improves your power throughout all rpm's while a turbo gives you more high end power. Also you have to give a turbo time to cool off, run an oil line, etc. So with that in mind, do you guys still recommend the turbo?
Old 06-07-06, 06:28 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing to note , dont think that it will only cost you the 5k tag or something . there will be some things here and there that will add up .

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205967
^Exellent thread by morris
Old 06-08-06, 09:28 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a GS3, then it's a no brainer to go turbo and call it a day. It's been done a ton of times so R&D is done for you. The 2jz caters very very well to turbo applications. Bringing in a front clip from Japan is more involved than you think, costly too, and at the end of the day you can get the same thing by turboing yours.
Old 06-08-06, 12:24 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cliffud
bigger turbos? why not just increase the boost?
There comes a point where a turbo will be adding too much heat to the air when the boost is raised, negating all of the benefits of the increased boost and having the potential to damage parts. That's when a larger turbo is needed.
Old 06-08-06, 12:26 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

I don't know much about supercharging applications for the 2JZ, but if this car is my daily driver, I'd rather have a supercharger.

If you want a dragstrip monster, then turbo all the way, but otherwise, the improved low-end of a supercharger compared to a turbo (on the same engine) is what I'd rather have.
Old 06-08-06, 12:33 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
I don't know much about supercharging applications for the 2JZ, but if this car is my daily driver, I'd rather have a supercharger.

If you want a dragstrip monster, then turbo all the way, but otherwise, the improved low-end of a supercharger compared to a turbo (on the same engine) is what I'd rather have.
The difference in MY car between a S/C and a Turbo (I've had both and have a turbo now) is minimal. Yes, my S/C would come in just a tad sooner than my turbo does, but it's not by so much that it makes that much of a difference. The HP difference however is noticeable.

Remember, most S/C setups available for our cars are centrifugal which is not much more than a belt driven turbo. So those S/C setups have a slight "lag" of their own. It's not instantaneous boost like you would see from a Roots type or Positive displacement S/C. Those have no lag, but also suffer on the top end from heat.

Again, if he has a GS3.....Turbo all the way. I daily drive my GS4 Turbo every single day. Reliability has a lot to do with the materials used and the install and the user. I've put a ton of miles on my setup w/o any probs (as I knock on wood).
Old 06-08-06, 12:36 PM
Gs3PoweR
Driver

I got the 2jz-gte done with a 6 speed tran and single turbo. Going just swap without single is more reliable but going single turbo with some race gas is the way to kick azz
Old 06-08-06, 01:03 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
There comes a point where a turbo will be adding too much heat to the air when the boost is raised, negating all of the benefits of the increased boost and having the potential to damage parts. That's when a larger turbo is needed.
Thanks for clarifying.

that's what i love about CL... knowledge abounds.
Old 06-08-06, 01:37 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jmecbr900
The difference in MY car between a S/C and a Turbo (I've had both and have a turbo now) is minimal. Yes, my S/C would come in just a tad sooner than my turbo does, but it's not by so much that it makes that much of a difference. The HP difference however is noticeable.

Remember, most S/C setups available for our cars are centrifugal which is not much more than a belt driven turbo. So those S/C setups have a slight "lag" of their own. It's not instantaneous boost like you would see from a Roots type or Positive displacement S/C. Those have no lag, but also suffer on the top end from heat.

Again, if he has a GS3.....Turbo all the way. I daily drive my GS4 Turbo every single day. Reliability has a lot to do with the materials used and the install and the user. I've put a ton of miles on my setup w/o any probs (as I knock on wood).
A turbo GS3 and GS4 are worlds apart in terms of the amount of low-end torque that's available.

I used to have a Supra Turbo with 2JZ-GTE, and that thing was a serious dog until the 2nd turbo kicked in. Yes, I thought it was slow even when the first turbo was putting out full boost. I don't know for a fact, but I'm pretty sure it would be much more driveable around the city with a supercharger instead.

A stock GS400's 1UZ-FE on the other hand has so much more torque at all RPMs compared with a stock 2JZ-GE that if you slapped a turbo on, you won't notice the decrease as much as on the GS300.
Old 06-08-06, 03:20 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

The stock GS4 would certainly have more torque than the GS3's 6 cylinder, but, it ain't like other V8's. It's 4.0 liters. 243 cubic inches. It's freakin tiny.

Anyway, I wanted to say that "sure" most people here can agree that a supercharger is (by design) going to give you a little better driveability/torque around town, but in the case of the GS3 for KaneDL25, the Turbo is going to be the better fit.