Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY header install for GS300 *WITH PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-06, 10:35 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Just wanted to drop a line and apologize for not having the sound clip yet. I have been in the Florida Keys vacationing for the last month or so and I should be back in about two or three weeks. I am going to do a clip from inside and outside the car when I return.

I also wanted to mention that after doing this mod there is a significant amount of black crap that now comes out of the exhaust. Consequently, dont forget to wipe the chrome tips too.

Last edited by Lexbox; 07-17-06 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-20-06, 01:23 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just installed my header on my 01 GS300.....with Carson-tuned mid-pipe. I also got Blitz Nur Spec exhaust....used existing O2 sensors.....reset the ECU....drove around the block....roughly 3.6 miles......waiting for CEL to come on my dash console.

I got O2 Simulator ready for install.

When did your CEL come on? Immediately or after a few hundred miles of driving?

Pete

Last edited by PHML; 08-20-06 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-22-06, 02:11 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Originally Posted by Lexbox
I dont have a CEL light due to the header. I do have a CEL for the O2 on the midpipe. It throws a code complaining about the heater wire. But to answer your question, it came on before the header install.
What mid-pipe do you have? OBX? Carson-Tuned? Other?

Thanks!!

Pete
Old 08-25-06, 02:22 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PHML
What mid-pipe do you have? OBX? Carson-Tuned? Other?

Thanks!!

Pete
Stock, I sold the OBX to a buddy of mine with an IS instead of getting it extended.
Old 08-25-06, 03:16 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Stock, I sold the OBX to a buddy of mine with an IS instead of getting it extended.
So no CEL from the header O2s....but CEL showed up on stock midpipe O2 sensor?

Btw...when you gonna post up new sound clip?

Pete
Old 08-25-06, 04:36 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Yeah the CEL showed up a month or so before the header was even installed.
Wow...sounds odd.
Old 08-29-06, 06:16 PM
mazdamike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after the header was installed did your check engine light come on?
Old 09-02-06, 01:09 AM
raceroyce
Driver

wow didnt know installing a header was so compliacted. i thought it was going to be like my civic just slap it on and plug in the o2 sensor. so hows the sound? what about the gas milage? did it go down much?
Old 09-02-06, 01:33 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by raceroyce
wow didnt know installing a header was so compliacted. i thought it was going to be like my civic just slap it on and plug in the o2 sensor. so hows the sound? what about the gas milage? did it go down much?
Installing the header is just as you described except you need to solder a few wires. As far as the sound...it is much louder with the header. Keep in mind I also have an SRT intake. Im not sure on the mpg, I never really pay any attention.
Old 09-02-06, 02:13 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Nope....no CEL....header install was pretty simple....except for 1 bolt that was hard to tighten and torque.

Pete
Old 09-09-06, 07:02 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow, one hell of write up i would like to do this mod, but get nervous when i hear about things breaking. anyway, i need to replace the O2 sensor BEFORE the cat b/c my CEL came on... #1, where is that exactly?? #2, what does the O2 sensor look like and #3, can i do this myself? (if so, what tools do i need?) thanks in advance
The following users liked this post:
BlueNun (09-25-22)
Old 12-07-06, 07:42 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just finished up my header install & I have a couple of things to add to this DIY thread. No complaints, just observations. First, my 3 bolts from the header to the midpipe were 13mm not 14 (either way they were ground off). & second, my CEL came on again and again after the O2 sim was installed. After doing some research the grey and grey/black wires are not the O2 signal wires. Those are the heater wires from the O2 sensor. The actual O2 signal wires are white ( pin #8 on E5 ) and red ( pin #24 on E7 ). I followed the wiring set up earlier mentioned but installed the sim wires to the red & black wires. Not the grey & grey/black wires ( pins 25 & 26 on plug E7 ). Then I tapped into the 12V power wire of the O2 sim, fed it to resistors, then into the grey & grey/black heater wires. My B1S2 & B2S2 sensors are now removed with no CEL. The O2 sim handles the O2 signal & the Resistors handle the heater signal. For a detailed heater sim check out http://www.spdweb.net/index.php?opti...d=13&Itemid=41 It has all the info to rig it up yourself. Again, this is what it took to get it to work right for me. Oh yeah and all this on a 98 GS 300. Hope this just adds to a great DIY thread.
Old 01-10-07, 08:15 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where can I buy an O2 sim and how much do they cost?
Old 03-28-07, 07:32 PM
#1gs300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wanted to say that if ur going to add a o2 simulator, and a o2 heater simulator, u should read kipods input on how to do it i followed it and i have no cel light that comes up. If ur going to get the resistors u can get them from radio shack get 2 packs of 10ohm resistors. u will need them for the heater wires (grey) + (grey/black). Open up the 1 pack of resistors and wire them in series u will get an ohm impedence of 20 ohms thats more than enough being though my impedence on the o2 sensors only read 14.2ohms. Just to let everybody know they will get very hot and be sure to wrap them in electrical tape. Just wanted to thank lexbox, and most definately thank kipod for the add info kipods info will clear the cel light if u do it right and its real easy to do.
The following users liked this post:
Frankn (02-01-22)
Old 04-11-07, 12:48 PM
BLUEV8DGS4
Driver School Candidate

Where Is The Gs400 Write Up?

Quick Reply: DIY header install for GS300 *WITH PICS*