Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY header install for GS300 *WITH PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11, 04:41 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

its funny how a 5 year old thread still doesnt give us any info about horsepower an torque gains!
Old 05-23-11, 05:58 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ScBouncE
its funny how a 5 year old thread still doesnt give us any info about horsepower an torque gains!
And we probably won't get a straight answer, at least one that isn't disputed, for quite some time. Most people that install headers have a CAI, after market exhaust, after market y-pipes, etc. My point is headers are a great foundation for a NA build and most people can't accurately gage gains or are not willing to dyno after just a header install.
Old 05-23-11, 07:46 AM
DeanGS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScBouncE
It is also funny the obsession with numbers, horsepower and torque. As many have stated, there is an increase in both as determined by different methods. There is an increase in drivability as well as mileage. The instal is easy and the price is not terribly high. At what "magic number" does the modification become worthwhile?

If every 2JGE car was to be dynoed before and after header installation there would be just as many different numbers just like how every 2JGE motor has different hp/torque numbers when stock. What was the ambient temperature, what weight and type of oil was being run at the time, what type of trans fluid was being run, what drag did the accessories have on the motor, how well was the motor broken in....these are just some of the variables.

The performance increase offered by just a header installed could be accomplished by removing all the extra stuff in the car (spare tire, tools, passenger seat, etc) and aside from the labor involved is "free". Does that make it worthwhile?

Point blank: almost every performance mod done to a car will have different results on every car it is done to. Not every mod will increase the hp/tq numbers but may increase drivability and/or mileage. On the flip side, many mods increase the hp/torque but hurt drivability or mileage. "Do this mod and you'll increase peak hp by 15 but the car will be much slower off of the line because of the weight increase" <-just as an example.

Regarding the header swap on my GS300:
1) better drivability
2) increase in mileage
3) easy instal
4) inexpensive
5) slightly better performance
Old 05-23-11, 11:24 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DeanGS
It is also funny the obsession with numbers, horsepower and torque. As many have stated, there is an increase in both as determined by different methods. There is an increase in drivability as well as mileage. The instal is easy and the price is not terribly high. At what "magic number" does the modification become worthwhile?

If every 2JGE car was to be dynoed before and after header installation there would be just as many different numbers just like how every 2JGE motor has different hp/torque numbers when stock. What was the ambient temperature, what weight and type of oil was being run at the time, what type of trans fluid was being run, what drag did the accessories have on the motor, how well was the motor broken in....these are just some of the variables.

The performance increase offered by just a header installed could be accomplished by removing all the extra stuff in the car (spare tire, tools, passenger seat, etc) and aside from the labor involved is "free". Does that make it worthwhile?

Point blank: almost every performance mod done to a car will have different results on every car it is done to. Not every mod will increase the hp/tq numbers but may increase drivability and/or mileage. On the flip side, many mods increase the hp/torque but hurt drivability or mileage. "Do this mod and you'll increase peak hp by 15 but the car will be much slower off of the line because of the weight increase" <-just as an example.

Regarding the header swap on my GS300:
1) better drivability
2) increase in mileage
3) easy instal
4) inexpensive
5) slightly better performance
Well said. A video of interior and exterior noise levels would be amazing!!
Old 07-25-11, 11:59 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

how much louder is it? I do not want the car to be louder at all, just wanted to improve my MPG and some performance also.
Old 07-26-11, 06:59 AM
DeanGS
Driver

Originally Posted by TonyN
how much louder is it? I do not want the car to be louder at all, just wanted to improve my MPG and some performance also.
With just the header the noise increase is almost inperceptable. Very very small increasse in noise output.
Old 07-26-11, 03:21 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

sweet, i have a cat back flowmaster exhaust, the tone is not loud at crusing which is what I like, so i might just install the headers.
Old 07-26-11, 03:25 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TonyN
sweet, i have a cat back flowmaster exhaust, the tone is not loud at crusing which is what I like, so i might just install the headers.
I'd keep the stock mid pipe on to help things stay quiet and to keep some low end tq. Just make sure that you don't have exhaust leaks. It can be common when you mate an aftermarket header to a stock midpipe.
Old 07-31-11, 03:19 PM
kxm2239
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did dyno my gs , after and and before . I had 11 hp and 5 tq gained with just the headers the srt intake gave another 13 hp and 14 tq by also replaceing the stok mufflers with some aftermarket ones it also gave me some power Not alot. I have some sound clip

http://youtu.be/BXPxUbHE13A

Last edited by kxm2239; 07-31-11 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-27-11, 09:05 PM
greene
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice. Can't wait to start on my exhaust mods.
Old 11-02-11, 07:07 AM
averyt45
Driver School Candidate

nice pix. looking into replacing sensor 2 bank 2 but cant find it.
Old 12-06-11, 04:01 PM
aklanjac28
Driver School Candidate

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned using a spark plug non-fouler for the O2 sensors. I used them for my SRT-4 neon and my Evolution when I replaced the catalytic converter. Neither car threw a CEL, and it seems a lot simpler than having to wire stuff into the ECU. They are $3 bucks at Auto-Zone.

Looks like this
Old 12-06-11, 04:02 PM
aklanjac28
Driver School Candidate

The one in this pic is using two.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  37.8 KB
Old 12-07-11, 12:09 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by aklanjac28
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned using a spark plug non-fouler for the O2 sensors. I used them for my SRT-4 neon and my Evolution when I replaced the catalytic converter. Neither car threw a CEL, and it seems a lot simpler than having to wire stuff into the ECU. They are $3 bucks at Auto-Zone.

Looks like this
they are talked about....just not in this thread

post # 17 from here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...eader-gs3.html

my opinion of this is i wouldnt personally do it....removing the O2 sensor from the "stream" effectively makes it worthless and its essentially not monitoring anything which is why it doesnt ever throw a code....which then doesnt help you if you have some unseen engine issue which is what the CEL is trying to tell you but again just my $0.02

Last edited by sakataj; 12-07-11 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 04:22 PM
aklanjac28
Driver School Candidate

Maybe I did not read thoroughly enough or I just simply do not understand what an o2 simulator does, but I thought that the o2 simulator removes the the two o2 sensors that are in the place of the catalytic converter from the car's system. IE: the o2 simulator tricks the ECU into thinking that the sensors are still there and functioning and that a catalytic converter is still in place. I could be wrong though, just trying to learn.

Based off this question and OPs response, seems like the o2 sensors no longer do anything.

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Just a small question. Why do you still need the o2 sensors in the header if you got an o2 simulator? Isn't the whole point of the o2 sim so that you can remove the o2 sensors without trowing a cel? Also, how is the power improvement? Big difference?

Edit: Ok, nevermind....lol I feel like a fool now. I see that you still have the o2 sensor in place pre-cat. The sim is post-cat(or at least where it used to be ). Makes sense
Originally Posted by Lexbox
Actually, you were on to something there. I couldnt remove any of the three O2 sensors so I replaced all of them but I am only using one of them. So the other two have been snipped and are simply there to fill the hole to the tune of $70 a piece. I guess I could have gone to Lexus and ask to dig around in their trash for some but I really didnt care. The O2 simulator wires directly into the ECM which is shown in one of the last several pictures.

Quick Reply: DIY header install for GS300 *WITH PICS*