Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LMS Exhaust Vs. Tannabe Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-06, 08:49 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LMS Exhaust Vs. Tannabe Exhaust

What ever happened to the LMS exhaust? Is it me or did it seem to fall
off the face of the earth? It's not a bad looking exhaust plus it seems
like it'd yield more than double the HP gains of the Tannabe exhaust. I like
the look and sound of the Tannabe, but I do not want to keep the stock
resonators. Removing the cats wouldn't be an issue for me, as here in NY
we don't need full inspections on new cars for the first 2 years.

To me an ideal set up would be to use the tannabe mufflers and somehow
connect the rest of the LMS resonators and straight pipe..But oh well
Old 06-03-06, 10:11 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been harping on this for a while...

the truth is the LMS exhaust if FUGLY. 'luxury motorsports' my ***, they turned a beautiful lexus into a rice wagon with those canister style exhausts. if they were NORMAL mufflers it would be on my car right now.

the tanabe has the wrong muffler design, though i'm not hot on the tips.

someone should buy the LMS setup w/o mufflers and just sell that so you can take it to a muffler shop and put on the muffler you want
Old 06-03-06, 10:28 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by uschardcor
i've been harping on this for a while...

the truth is the LMS exhaust if FUGLY. 'luxury motorsports' my ***, they turned a beautiful lexus into a rice wagon with those canister style exhausts. if they were NORMAL mufflers it would be on my car right now.

the tanabe has the wrong muffler design, though i'm not hot on the tips.

someone should buy the LMS setup w/o mufflers and just sell that so you can take it to a muffler shop and put on the muffler you want
So what do you think of the LMS tips? i think the tips look pretty decent, can you really see
the mufflers that much from the back view of the car? I mean, I know you can see them
but only partially, They didnt look that bad in the pics.. My whole thing is if i buy the tanabe
Id feel like i was only buying "half" of an exhaust..

Last edited by Tony1; 06-03-06 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-03-06, 11:46 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

LMS exhaust requires cutting welding, no cat converters either
Old 06-03-06, 12:16 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
LMS exhaust requires cutting welding, no cat converters either
For me, not having the cats isn't an issue, I was under the impression this was
a "bolt on" exhaust.. At least thats what the manfacture claims..
Old 06-03-06, 02:04 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

I think the LMS exhaust bolts straight on the header flanges. No cutting or welding, but as has been said, it does remove the cats. I am tempted to go to a good exhaust/muffler place and see what it would cost to cut after the cats and weld some flanges on. Then you could get some pipes bent and attatch whatever muffler you want.
Old 07-20-06, 12:05 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350_PHIL
I think the LMS exhaust bolts straight on the header flanges. No cutting or welding, but as has been said, it does remove the cats. I am tempted to go to a good exhaust/muffler place and see what it would cost to cut after the cats and weld some flanges on. Then you could get some pipes bent and attatch whatever muffler you want.

Phill--You are correct. The lms exhaust bolts straight on. I belive they connect directly to the main catalyzerz, in the front of the engine.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=lms+exhaust
I have the LMS exhaust in my car right now. If you have any questions about it please just ask me. I will be recording some high qaulity sound bites soon.

Just like uscHardCore stated, I think I might by some differnt tips on the exhaust, but I don't know. I might go with the tanabe style tips also.

Last edited by t0e; 07-20-06 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-20-06, 09:52 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

I'll try and get some vids soon. To me the exhaust is a little on the ricey sounding side between 3000-4500 rpms, but after that it sounds great. It is kinda raspy sonding to me. I will keep this exhaust until something else comes out and sell this exhaust at a lost . Oh well, I am sure I am being hard on the exhaust but I get a 50/50 from people loving it or hating it. I am not 100% happy with it, I just wish I could get rid of that raspy sound. On a performance note, it seems to have added some horsepower confirmed by the butt dyno.
Old 07-20-06, 11:06 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowssm
I'll try and get some vids soon. To me the exhaust is a little on the ricey sounding side between 3000-4500 rpms, but after that it sounds great. It is kinda raspy sonding to me. I will keep this exhaust until something else comes out and sell this exhaust at a lost . Oh well, I am sure I am being hard on the exhaust but I get a 50/50 from people loving it or hating it. I am not 100% happy with it, I just wish I could get rid of that raspy sound. On a performance note, it seems to have added some horsepower confirmed by the butt dyno.
You might try adding in a couple of resonators. That will probably get rid of a lot of the raspiness and it probably won't detract too much from the gains.
Old 07-20-06, 11:32 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
You might try adding in a couple of resonators. That will probably get rid of a lot of the raspiness and it probably won't detract too much from the gains.
Adding resonators may help, but that defeats the purpose of purchasing an LMS exhaust. $1200.00 for an exhaust and I still need to improve on it? No thanks.
Old 07-20-06, 11:36 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by onihc
Adding resonators may help, but that defeats the purpose of purchasing an LMS exhaust. $1200.00 for an exhaust and I still need to improve on it? No thanks.
for you, perhaps. For yellow, who's already spent $ on it? Might be a different story.

Resonators are probably more restrictive than straight pipes but it's definitely better than a cat.
Old 07-20-06, 11:58 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

The exhausts already have 2 resonators on it, and its still raspy. I thought I had a leak somewhere but thats not it either. Like I said oh well, I like it just not 100% happy thats all. On a side note I introduced my new exhaust to a 6MT G35 coupe last night. He was alone, I was alone in my car also but have a sub/box/amp (50+ pounds) and me myself (250lbs ), from a red light to 70mph, easy 1.5 - 2 car lenghts.
Old 07-20-06, 02:39 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

so LMS is making more gains than the Tanabe one?
Old 07-20-06, 02:41 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2SwiFt29
so LMS is making more gains than the Tanabe one?
yes because it eliminates the rear catalytic converters.
Old 07-20-06, 03:20 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I haven't seen any dyno's for the Tanabe exhaust yet and only one for the LMS exhaust and that guy ended up putting down almost as much as me with the exhaust and I have the stock exhaust on. Both dyno's were on a dyno jet with SAE correction.

Quick Reply: LMS Exhaust Vs. Tannabe Exhaust