Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LMS Exhaust Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06, 06:05 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uschardcor
errr, no. the main cats are attached to the headers. when i say attatched i mean welded. the secondary is removed. this is how no CEL comes up
I wasn't sure, I just assumed since it was set up that way on my old Z, .(the pre-cats were right after the headers. then in the middle of the car were the main cats)..
Old 06-07-06, 05:04 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered mine, cant wait.
Old 06-07-06, 05:38 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yellowssm
Be sure to take lots of pics!!!
Old 06-07-06, 08:54 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool Cool.

Originally Posted by yellowssm
Congrats on the purchase. You won't be disappointed. Let us know how the fitment goes. Also, do you have the ground effects kit on yours? Might fit better on cars without the ground effects kit.
Will
Old 06-08-06, 09:26 AM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
Congrats on the purchase. You won't be disappointed. Let us know how the fitment goes. Also, do you have the ground effects kit on yours? Might fit better on cars without the ground effects kit.
Will
No ground effects kit yet. I want the fabulous one but want to see it on a car other than black. I will let you guys know when I get it.
Old 06-08-06, 09:02 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Post Welded or Bolted.

Originally Posted by uschardcor
errr, no. the main cats are attached to the headers. when i say attatched i mean welded. the secondary is removed. this is how no CEL comes up
Btw. The main cats are bolted to the exhaust manifolds. Not welded. The rear cats are welded to the factory front Y pipe. The rear cats come off with the factory Y pipe when the LMS exhaust is bolted on. The only way you will have a CEL come on is if you removed the main cats.
Old 06-08-06, 09:37 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Btw. The main cats are bolted to the exhaust manifolds. Not welded. The rear cats are welded to the factory front Y pipe. The rear cats come off with the factory Y pipe when the LMS exhaust is bolted on. The only way you will have a CEL come on is if you removed the main cats.
With the rear cats removed, do you think it would pass smog? I am not sure how strict our smog testing is here in Houston (as evidenced by the lovely layer of smog I get to look at on my way in to work). Hopefully the 2nd cats were to pass CA smog...
Old 06-08-06, 09:46 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Exclamation Not Smog Legal.....For Off Road Use Only.

Originally Posted by IS350_PHIL
With the rear cats removed, do you think it would pass smog? I am not sure how strict our smog testing is here in Houston (as evidenced by the lovely layer of smog I get to look at on my way in to work). Hopefully the 2nd cats were to pass CA smog...
As stated many times before.......this exhaust is not smog legal. The newer cars that are ULEV(Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle) Certified have these rear cats to meet this certification.
Old 06-08-06, 09:51 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

As stated many times before.......this exhaust is not smog legal. The newer cars that are ULEV(Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle) Certified have these rear cats to meet this certification.
Thanks. I was grasping a bit... I can't see spending that kinda cash and having to swap exhausts every year to pass smog (I will probably end up doing it though )
Old 06-08-06, 10:27 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Talking Keep Us Posted.

Thanks. I was grasping a bit... I can't see spending that kinda cash and having to swap exhausts every year to pass smog (I will probably end up doing it though )
Just my $.02, but I think it is worth it. Not too hard for me to swap it back to stock. Is it annual smog checks in Texas? Here in Cali., its every two years and the first four years are exempt as long as you don't sell it within the four years. We picked this one over the Tanabe for the performance gains and not just for looks. Have not even seen dyno sheets for the Tanabe yet.
Will
Old 06-08-06, 10:32 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Just my $.02, but I think it is worth it. Not too hard for me to swap it back to stock. Is it annual smog checks in Texas? Here in Cali., its every two years and the first four years are exempt as long as you don't sell it within the four years. We picked this one over the Tanabe for the performance gains and not just for looks. Have not even seen dyno sheets for the Tanabe yet.
Will
Yeah, it is part of out annual inspection process (at least in Houston). As I said, I will break down and get it eventually. My father-in-law used to weld for a living, I may see if there is enough room to weld the 2nd cats in and see if he is up for it.

BTW - Love your car. It looks great!

Last edited by IS350_PHIL; 06-08-06 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-09-06, 02:15 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Cool Thanks!

Yeah, it is part of out annual inspection process (at least in Houston). As I said, I will break down and get it eventually. My father-in-law used to weld for a living, I may see if there is enough room to weld the 2nd cats in and see if he is up for it.

BTW - Love your car. It looks great!
Thanks for the complements. Its actually the wifies ride. I'm just in charge of the maintenance and mods. LOL
I don't see any problems with welding the rear cats. Unless they hassle you and tell you that you can't install "used cats". Hope not though. Good luck with it and keep us posted on any new mods.
Will
Btw, make sure you weld the cats in the correct direction. (inlet and outlet)
Old 06-09-06, 06:49 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

i thought its 6 years no smog for new cars?
Old 06-10-06, 09:07 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Red face Correction!!!!!!!!!! Sorry Guys!

My BAD guys, it seems I was wrong about the main cats being bolted onto the exhaust manifolds. Was at work today and had a chance to peek at the main cats. Did not get good pics of the main cats welded to the exhaust manifolds due to its location on the car. Please accept my apollogies. However, the front Y pipe is indeed bolted to the main cats. Also, here is a pic of the rear cats.

Here are pics of the same location on the car without the rear cats on the LMS exhaust.

This is where you would have to cut and weld if you wanted to add the rear cats to the LMS exhaust. Not too easy to do since placement is critical to fitment of the LMS exhaust.
Again, sorry for the misleading information.
WIll
Old 06-11-06, 08:40 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Dang I just heard this exhaust today and I really really like it. But I dont want to do the switch a roo when its times to get a smog check. Think they'll ever make one thats smog legal that sounds this good?

Quick Reply: LMS Exhaust Installed!