Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LMS Exhaust Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-06, 10:17 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Cats

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Dang I just heard this exhaust today and I really really like it. But I dont want to do the switch a roo when its times to get a smog check. Think they'll ever make one thats smog legal that sounds this good?
Unfortunately, the reason it sounds so good is b/c of eliminating the rear cats. So no, I don't think that will happen.
Where did you hear it. Does it not sound like a Ferrari?
Besides, you won't have to worry about smogging your car for at least the first 4 years.
Will
Btw, what part of Cali are you from? Are you going to the BOS meet next weekend?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217857
Old 06-11-06, 10:25 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
Unfortunately, the reason it sounds so good is b/c of eliminating the rear cats. So no, I don't think that will happen.
Where did you hear it. Does it not sound like a Ferrari?
Besides, you won't have to worry about smogging your car for at least the first 4 years.
Will
Btw, what part of Cali are you from? Are you going to the BOS meet next weekend?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217857
Ya Unfortunately because it sounds sooo good was mostly due to the removal of the Cats. But man can someone work some magic and make one thats CA smog legal that sounds like that???

I heard it at the AeroTect BBQ meet today. It sounds very good. As for it sounding like a ferrari... Ummm thats pushing it a little. But it does make the engine sound much bigger than it is... a True Ferrari exhaust... Tubi and such sadly I have to say sounds better. But then it might be a combination of the F car engine along with the exhaust that makes a Ferrari sound sooo dang good! I heard a one off a F360 and 355 before.

I'm From So Cal so no I wont be attending the BOS. Post back on what you think when you year it next weekend.
Old 06-11-06, 10:36 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool Actually..........

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Post back on what you think when you year it next weekend.
I actually have the pleasure of hearing it every day. LDYNRED is my wife.
Old 06-11-06, 10:55 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Hahah is that so? Pretty lucky guy you are then!
Old 06-21-06, 05:24 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok stupid question, but can someone give me a link to the LMS website, i want to look at some of there other products...
Old 06-21-06, 07:12 PM
ddquach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by james6290
ok stupid question, but can someone give me a link to the LMS website, i want to look at some of there other products...
Here you go bro.... Also they just finish the supercharger in the IS350 and a front and rear strut bar...
http://www.lmspower.com/index.phtml
Old 06-22-06, 06:35 AM
jdmdaddy
Lead Lap

Default well done...

Nice thread- I don't know how I missed the original posting. I have personally heard this exhaust zoomin' by me on the freeway. I love the sound of it! I'm looking forward to taking a few more pics of it next time Maybe even a vid or two....

-Craig
Old 07-20-06, 12:18 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Video / Sound clips soon.

I was talking to doug (The grey 350 with black crome rims) and mentioned that we needed to create some videos for everybody--not in Southern-cali lucky enough to listen to it in person. I think this will help the debate more--on whether you want to purchasing it or not.
Old 07-20-06, 06:03 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Default Nice

That close-up picture of inside the rear canister is gorgeous. Love that twirling detail. You should use it as your sig or Avatar LDYNRED.
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-06, 08:59 AM
sashax415
Pole Position

Does the h-pipe/mid-pipe connection really need to be hammered? Wouldn't it make more sense to use a quick release vband clamp?
Old 07-20-06, 09:17 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Great write up, and thanks for the dyno results as well.
Old 07-20-06, 09:34 AM
sashax415
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ddquach
Here you go bro.... Also they just finish the supercharger in the IS350 and a front and rear strut bar...
http://www.lmspower.com/index.phtml
Where is the supercharger kit for the 350? I couldn't even find the strut bars?
Old 07-20-06, 10:02 AM
ddquach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sashax415
Where is the supercharger kit for the 350? I couldn't even find the strut bars?
The website is not updated yet, you need to contact Steve @ LMS. I already spoke with Steve and the strut bars are still in production, should be ready by next week. The CF OEM rear trunk lip should be ready by end of this week possible Fri. The SC for the IS350, he still waiting for all the pipes to be bended and all the parts to arrive. Appartently the blowers takes about 2 weeks to build and tested b4 its sent out. It should be 3-4 weeks out til ready for sale. The lowering springs should be ready in 2 weeks. Its a 1.2 drop in the front and 1.0 drop in the rear. The only things avalabile now is the intake and the CF hood. The exhaust, he waiting for the manufactor to produce more and should be avalabile soon, maybe next week. If you have any question, just call Steve....
Old 07-20-06, 10:53 AM
LDYNRED
Driver

Originally Posted by phatboyc
That close-up picture of inside the rear canister is gorgeous. Love that twirling detail. You should use it as your sig or Avatar LDYNRED.
Great suggestion! I've been trying to find something for an Avatar.
Thanks, phatboyc .

Last edited by LDYNRED; 07-20-06 at 11:08 AM. Reason: update
Old 07-20-06, 02:18 PM
suprafrank
Rookie

Missed that summer meet few days ago.

Originally Posted by LDYNRED
After a slight delay in the delivery, the exhaust has finally been installed. It’s a stainless steel, true dual, CATBACK exhaust system with H-pipe, polished stainless at the rear section only. It is not smog legal due to the removal of the 2 rear catalytic converters. The front cats are still retained. The exhaust comes with two resonators.

Although this is marketed as a simple bolt on, installation is not as easy as you would hope. The fit was very tight, and has to be maneuvered EXACTLY into place. The front/H-pipe just bolts up to the front cats. The only tricky part about the H-pipe is removing the oxygen sensors. You will need to unbolt the stock front Y pipe from the cats and lower it far enough to use an oxygen sensor socket with a slit on the side to accommodate the wire for the sensor. You will not be able to use an open end or box wrench on the oxygen sensor due to the shielding around it. The mid pipe with resonators have to be slipped onto the front H-pipe and hammered into place. Be careful not to damage the flange.
The exhaust hangers on the mid pipe are designed to have one pulling up and one pulling down. This will hopefully eliminate the excessive movement the stock exhaust had. We were told by LMS that the supplied exhaust clamps are optional. It would also make removal of the mid pipe easier if/when you needed to put the stock exhaust back on. At this point installation gets trickier. You will need an assistant to help manipulate the rear sections to the proper location while you tighten the fasteners at the flange. This might take a couple of tries to get it just right.
Another little issue with my car is that the left tailpipe is not completely center, possibly due to the fact that I have the factory body/ground effects kit on there. The original test car did not have the body kit.

One last thing, the piping for the left rear section will come close or come in contact with the big washer for the bolt on the sub frame. You will need to loosen the bolt and turn the washer so the tang on the big washer clears the piping.

A baseline dyno was already impressive with horsepower readings of 254.6 (to the wheels) and torque of 223.6. Readings after the exhaust showed maximum horsepower of 263.7 and torque of 236.4. There were reported gains of 22 rwhp. This however was reported with a prototype. I know for a fact the resonators had to be redone (due to the fact that they were too loud), and I haven’t seen any other dyno sheets with the production model. Depending on many variables (different dyno machines, temperature/humidity, etc.), the results will vary.

Sound: Unfortunately I do not have any sound links. Definitely growls on WOT and when you romp on it to about 4500-5000 rpms. If you are just cruising, it has a nice low grumble. Of course sound is very subjective and since I’ve been around modded cars for over 20 years, I don’t consider it loud at all. For others that are not used to it though, they may consider it a little too much. I was concerned that it might sound tinny or ricey, but was pleasantly surprised when I heard it in person. All the sound clips in the world will not provide the real world experience.

Personal opinion: I love the way this exhaust sounds! Just throaty enough and without a lot of resonance. Kind of reminds me of how a Ferrari sounds! If you are worried about smog checks, etc., you will have to decide on your own whether or not it’s worth the trouble. New cars sold in California do not need to be smogged for the first 4 years (unless there is a change in owner). Therefore, I’m gonna have at least 3 years of very vocal driving before I have to worry about that. I wasn’t too concerned with the round canisters since you can hardly see them anyway. There’s just enough shine peeking through to let you know it’s not a stock exhaust.

Keep in mind that this is all for informational purposes only. Everyone will have their own bias or opinion on whether or not the cost justifies the gains or aesthetics. A lot of members have tried certain products and found out later that these products were not worth the time, money or trouble. It’s those members willingness to use their cars as guinea pigs and provide feedback to the community at large that makes these forums invaluable when deciding what or what not to do to your car.

BTW, the car has also been lowered (slightly) with the Eibach Pro-kit . They were put on about a week after the exhaust. Didn’t want to take pics right away since I was waiting for them to settle.

For those of you that live in Northern California and would like to see it and hear it in person, stop by the NorCal Beginning of Summer Meet (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217857). So far, I’m the only Matador Red IS showing up, so it should be easy to spot me!

Quick Reply: LMS Exhaust Installed!