Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aftermarket Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-06, 01:45 PM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Alternator

Hi guys and gals,

I just got my system put in my car yesterday and my installer (who is a good friend of mine) recommended that i get a new alternator since it was drained after 15 min. of play and car was stalling out. I have had problems before, thinking it was spark plug issue but no spark plug problem now and problem is still there. I am told that Toyota Alt. that are used in our car is only rated at 75 amps. My friend/installer said that my alternator may not be keeping up with the yellowtop i use and suggested getting it tested to see if it's the problem. If it is, i need to replace it, and since i plan on keeping the battery and system, why not go larger. Any recommendations? Or anyone see a fault in this logic?

John
Old 06-18-06, 12:05 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember last your some one got an upgraded Alternator ( don't remember who) but I think it was a 180 or so AMP one from e-bay. Lextreme sells a 175 amp one. I think also that JPI ( I think they are sill a CL vendor ) has one?

http://www.lextreme.com/allgo.html

oh yea and Luxery Mods sells one.

http://www.luxurymods.com/ProductDet...D=927&fid=1011

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 06-18-06 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-18-06, 12:28 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Dug this info. up from a GB tha JPI once had.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=alternator
Old 06-18-06, 11:42 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

We did offer the aftermarket high output but after many delays and problems from our vendors. We decided to discontinue the product. Please keep this in mind, it's not easy keep at charge up at idle speed.
JPI Racing
Old 06-19-06, 01:45 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-19-06, 09:41 AM
JohnGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, do yout think if i just replace the one i have, without upgrading to a larger alternator, that will fix my problem? Considering that it is the alternator to begin with?

John
Old 06-19-06, 10:35 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's hard to tell if it is your alternator that is lacking w/o knowing what stereo equipment you just put in. Lexus alternators are lower amperage than most, so you have to be cautious about that.

I have a custom built Ohio Generator one, but I've had my intermitent probs. I know someone on here had 180amp Alt for sale a while back. Can't remember whom right now, but I'll look in my PM's to see if I can dig it up.

You want to make sure the alternator is the issue before committing to buying a new one. It's very expensive to just try out.

****EDIT*****

Turbogs300 was the gentleman that was helping me to get one back a few months ago when I was contemplating leaving Ohio Generator. So far Ohio Gen is not charging me to fix the issues, but if they do I'm switching to another unit. Possibly hit him up and see if he can still get them for you IF it turns out to be the issue.