Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LMS or Pro Lexus Performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 07:07 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash 3
Hey everyone. New poster but long time reader. I'm thinking of adding a supercharger to my 2k3 Is 300... I heard about LMS and Pro Lex performance. Does anyone have experince with either?? any recommedations? Thanks
If you're deciding between LMS or the PLP kits, then I'd go with the PLP Vortech kit (not their Powerdyne kit). Otherwise, try to find a used Toyomoto kit. I didn't think they're being manufactured anymore either.

However, I agree with SophieSleeps, if you're really looking for a power increase, then go for a turbo kit. The cost of turbo and supercharger kits are comparable now ($5-6K), and both have the potential of outputting about the same power, but turbo's usually output more. The other advantage of a turbo kit is the power curve, where the car will make peak power output much lower in the RPM range versus the supercharger which only hits peak power at redline.
Old 07-20-06, 08:12 PM
SophieSleeps
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bchau_gt
I don't browse ClubLexus much so I just saw this.

De, I agree with all of your points above except for #2. The PLP kit in RMMGS4's wife's car is my old kit. When I uninstalled it, I did bend back my ABS lines (by hand actually and it was a pain), and I haven't had any braking issues since then and it pretty much looks stock again.
If yours bent back that's fine...
But I don't think it's very safe.

I have brake lines in front of me. If I bend them one way, and bend them back you can see the creases in the metal and you can feel the rigidity of it just go down the drain.

If you bend it back again, you'll probably find that it'll leak a pinhole at the least.
Stock lines are coated in plastic so you can't see the stress in the metal.
Old 07-20-06, 08:16 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
If yours bent back that's fine...
But I don't think it's very safe.

I have brake lines in front of me. If I bend them one way, and bend them back you can see the creases in the metal and you can feel the rigidity of it just go down the drain.

If you bend it back again, you'll probably find that it'll leak a pinhole at the least.
Stock lines are coated in plastic so you can't see the stress in the metal.
I understand. When they were bent back, it wasn't in the exact same spot as the original bend. That's not to say the integrity of my ABS lines are okay. I'll have to keep an eye on my brake feel, but my car now sits in the garage most of the time anyways.
Old 07-20-06, 08:24 PM
SophieSleeps
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bchau_gt
I understand. When they were bent back, it wasn't in the exact same spot as the original bend. That's not to say the integrity of my ABS lines are okay. I'll have to keep an eye on my brake feel, but my car now sits in the garage most of the time anyways.
Someone had a PLP kit at my house and he uninstalled it.
When he bent the brake lines back there were no leaks.
He started the car and when there was vacuum assist it sprayed like a tight butthole.

So maybe you just had more finesse than him. Come to think of it, he was pretty barbaric with them.
Old 07-20-06, 09:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Someone had a PLP kit at my house and he uninstalled it.
When he bent the brake lines back there were no leaks.
He started the car and when there was vacuum assist it sprayed like a tight butthole.

So maybe you just had more finesse than him. Come to think of it, he was pretty barbaric with them.
or maybe when bchau bent it back, it was a hot day so the metal was a bit more flexible

but ia gree, bending these lines isn't a smart thing from day 1 imho
Old 08-16-06, 12:39 PM
sammer619
Driver School Candidate

1. They were all slow. Even after lowering compression and boosting to 15psi it was still slow.
2. Most require bending your ABS lines. These cannot be bent back.
3. Now your ABS unit sits next to a hot header
4. Your intake pipe sits on top of your header
5. It's louder than a turbo'd car
6. Not fun to drive.
7. Dollar for Dollar you get much less horsepower.
8. Inability to control boost pressure. Lack of high boost until high RPM's.
I agree on 2,7,8.
1. Someone asked, but you haven't answered, what SC's were these, and which one did you get to 15psi?
3. your ABS is still next to an extremely hotter exhaust manifold than stock whether Turbo or SC.
4. I guess the turbo deflects the heat from your intake piping.
5. Some SC's are pretty quiet, toyomoto's was very quiet vs the others.
6. Your opinion.
Old 08-16-06, 01:47 PM
agit8or
Rookie

I'll throw in my $.02....

I've owned quite a few performance oriented vehicles over the years. Turbo cars, supercharged, and nitrous injected. Quite a few Mustangs, a few GNs, a few various imports. After having several Mustangs that I have put superchargers on and one with a turbo, I can tell you hands down (IMO) turbo is the way to go. For one, there is no parasitic loss unlike blower that robs horsepower right from the crank. The turbo isn't constantly heating up, unlike the blower. The turbo's boost level can instantly be changed, unlike the supercharger. Also, it's going to be a bit cheaper and easier to swap to a larger turbo then swapping a blower.

Having experience with Paxton, Vortech, and Powerdyne superchargers, I can't believe anyone would use a Powerdyne product. Poor support and internal belt breakage issues to no end being one reason. Maybe they have gotten better over the years, but Mustang owners can't sell their BD11/BD11a blowers cheap or fast enough. The most power I EVER put down (With my Mustangs) with a BD11a was mid 400's. I swapped to an S-trim and put down 502/516 on one of the first pulls. I've never had an issue with a Vortech S or T trim blower either. My IS300 has a single turbo GTE and V160 swap just sitting here waiting for the time to do it. If you are going to supercharge it, I'd stay away from a Powerdyne based setup. Just my opinion