Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LMS or Pro Lexus Performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 04:47 PM
Flash 3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LMS or Pro Lexus Performance

Hey everyone. New poster but long time reader. I'm thinking of adding a supercharger to my 2k3 Is 300... I heard about LMS and Pro Lex performance. Does anyone have experince with either?? any recommedations? Thanks
Old 06-18-06, 05:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if i really have to choose between the two, i would choose the plp. last thing i would trust is lms stuff, i would leave it like that.
Old 06-19-06, 04:25 PM
Flash 3
Driver School Candidate

thanks.... you don't seem too confident about either. know anyone else? I saw the pix of your sc430 meet. Looked fun, great car.

Last edited by Flash 3; 06-19-06 at 04:25 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 06-19-06, 10:14 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PLP SC on the wifey's IS

Read about it here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&page=29&pp=15

Any questions just post on that thread.
Old 06-19-06, 10:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Flash 3
thanks.... you don't seem too confident about either. know anyone else? I saw the pix of your sc430 meet. Looked fun, great car.
thanks man.

well i know people with plp and i am a bit disappointed at the power out of it that's all. and design wise i don't think it's that optimal. just me i guess

but for sure i won't recommend lms at all that's for sure. i know more than a few stories
Old 06-21-06, 06:49 AM
OKCIS
Rookie

Originally Posted by Flash 3
Hey everyone. New poster but long time reader. I'm thinking of adding a supercharger to my 2k3 Is 300... I heard about LMS and Pro Lex performance. Does anyone have experince with either?? any recommedations? Thanks
I think you would be best off looking for a Toyomoto S/C kit. Apparantly Lance is still putting them together for people a guy on IS300.net just got a new one from him.
Old 06-23-06, 10:37 AM
T Man 97
Rookie

Originally Posted by JamesIS300
I think you would be best off looking for a Toyomoto S/C kit. Apparantly Lance is still putting them together for people a guy on IS300.net just got a new one from him.
I thought Lance stopped making the S/C kits and was just focusing on the plug and play AEM systems now? He doesn't even run the shop anymore does he? Is there a thread on is300.net detailing what you're talking about? I haven't seen one recently.
Old 06-28-06, 09:03 PM
SophieSleeps
Pole Position

1. Don't supercharge it. You will be disappointed. I have supercharged 3 IS300's and have been unhappy with all of them.
2. Don't ever go with LMS. You will be disappointed and broke, and perhaps they'll set your car on fire for you.

Go for a turbo kit.
1. PF supercars
2. TurboEast
3. Swift Racing Technologies
Old 06-28-06, 09:34 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
1. Don't supercharge it. You will be disappointed. I have supercharged 3 IS300's and have been unhappy with all of them.
2. Don't ever go with LMS. You will be disappointed and broke, and perhaps they'll set your car on fire for you.

Go for a turbo kit.
1. PF supercars
2. TurboEast
3. Swift Racing Technologies

Can you elaborate on what specifically you were not happy with on the 3 IS you did?

What type of HP did each turn, are there problems with install, reliability, etc?

Please enlighten us.
Old 06-28-06, 09:39 PM
SophieSleeps
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Can you elaborate on what specifically you were not happy with on the 3 IS you did?

What type of HP did each turn, are there problems with install, reliability, etc?

Please enlighten us.
1. They were all slow. Even after lowering compression and boosting to 15psi it was still slow.
2. Most require bending your ABS lines. These cannot be bent back.
3. Now your ABS unit sits next to a hot header
4. Your intake pipe sits on top of your header
5. It's louder than a turbo'd car
6. Not fun to drive.
7. Dollar for Dollar you get much less horsepower.
8. Inability to control boost pressure. Lack of high boost until high RPM's.
Old 06-28-06, 10:01 PM
RMMGS4

1. They were all slow. Even after lowering compression and boosting to 15psi it was still slow.
6. Not fun to drive.

How bout some quantitative numbers instead of subjective opinions?

What type of SC's were used and/or what kit's?

HP from each, at what boost and cost for that power?

HP vs cost of a comparable Turbo kit?

What rpm vs HP curve does the Turbo set up look like compared to the SC?

Knowing these details would be a lot more helpful to me.

Not arguing with your points, but an engineer(Me) and an accountant (wifey) would need numbers to quantify your statements in order to weigh your points properly.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-28-06 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-28-06, 10:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well in terms of hp numbers i am seeing much larger numbers on turbo is300 than is300, and much easier too. i think the margin is big enough that we don't need to go into details on those ranges. i think it's been discussed before (here or .net i forgot) that turbo on the is300 is a much better option (basically for the i6 engine)

and SophieSleeps, you are my idol on your post #8
Old 07-01-06, 11:37 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by rominl
well in terms of hp numbers i am seeing much larger numbers on turbo is300 than is300, and much easier too. i think the margin is big enough that we don't need to go into details on those ranges. i think it's been discussed before (here or .net i forgot) that turbo on the is300 is a much better option (basically for the i6 engine)

and SophieSleeps, you are my idol on your post #8

I think when we are talking in terms of "larger" numbers I would not debate the potential gains that are capable using a turbo, but this is when we are talking in terms of ABSOLUTE HP gains.

Since we all know above a certain level of HP, the engine/tranny internals will need additional beefing up; regardless of whether one goes with a SC or Turbo. At that point, cost will climb so my questions are geared more towards what HP can be gained up to a certain level of investment.

A good comparison to me would be what specifically a 100HP increase will cost for an SC vs Turbo.

With the PLP Vortech set up installed in bchau_gt's car, I believe he reported about a 100HP gain after tuning. (I will re-verify this) We know that kit retails for $6200, with tuning time not included.

Just looking for a comparable cost to get 100HP from a Turbo set up from a known and respected "advertised" kit.

I know people are capable of doing their own FI for less than a kit price, if they DIY or have "special" hook up. Forget DIY cost or best buddy price. That's comparing apples to oranges, so factor those variables out.

I'd be curious to know what an"advertised" kit price would be for something around a 100HP Turbo kit , plus just tuning time.

Understand that I do respect Sophie Sleeps opinion. I wouldn't of responded with my questions if I didn't think I was asking someone of knowledge in the first place. So far I have some opinions, but in terms of understanding cost vs HP/TQ, it's a lot easier if I could reference some real world analytical data.

I'm sure this has been brought up before on .NET , etc. so if this has been discussed in detail, please just point me in the right direction.

If anyone can kindly show me some links, then I can do my homework.

Thanks

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-01-06 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-20-06, 06:56 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

6. Not fun to drive.
I don't browse ClubLexus much so I just saw this.

De, I agree with all of your points above except for #2. The PLP kit in RMMGS4's wife's car is my old kit. When I uninstalled it, I did bend back my ABS lines (by hand actually and it was a pain), and I haven't had any braking issues since then and it pretty much looks stock again.
Old 07-20-06, 07:04 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
With the PLP Vortech set up installed in bchau_gt's car, I believe he reported about a 100HP gain after tuning. (I will re-verify this)
Glen, you're correct. One of my final dyno tuning sessions showed around an 80-90whp gain, which is about 100 (crank) HP. In your situation, I think you just need to get the car tuned, maybe it's something that DynoSpot Racing can do since they did Tim's car with the other version of the PLP SC kit.

Quick Reply: LMS or Pro Lexus Performance