Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Changed Sprk Plgs and now misfiring.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 07:09 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unplug one plug wire at a time until you don't hear the miss. It could be anything from cracked porcelin from overtightening or a bum wire.
Old 06-21-06, 11:41 AM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Gserep I think we are experiencing the same problem. I understand how annoying that put-put noise can be. I was on the e-way last night doing about 55-60 and even if i were to accel slowly it would still putt-putt!!! I want to try what Kaiser suggested just as long as that wouldn't mess anything up. The only lexus tech I know is my ex gf childrens father, with that said he kinda hates me. Bummer. Broads...never worth it.
Old 06-21-06, 02:27 PM
Kaiser
Racer

If the cylinder you pulled isn't the miss you need to plug it back in. I left that part out sorry.
Old 06-21-06, 02:46 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

did you pull too hard on the wire and damaged it some how? i did that once on a car and that caused the misfiring problem. GL
Old 06-21-06, 03:14 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Kaiser and ILOVEGIRLS.
Kaiser has the right process for finding the bad cylinder/plug/wire.

I doubt it is a coil pack that is bad. Seriously. The odds of it going bad as you did your plug change would be staggering.

Cracked porcelain, bad plug, or plug wire is most likely. I'd vote for the plug wire.

Be careful pulling them off, they can be "heat-welded" on there. Do you remember any of them giving you any trouble?

If the miss sound is bad enough, sometimes you can find the offending cylinder by feeling EACH exhaust manifold pipe during the first 60 seconds or so. It may take two people.

A mis-firing cylinder, or non-firing cylinder, won't heat up as quickly as the others.
Old 06-21-06, 03:58 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

I guess one huge thing I left out is that the first pack that was pulled came out without the sleeve. Turns out that the rubber sleeve housing it is torn at the top and has some tears along side of it. I asked wdpower and he suggested I might have a leak that is affecting ignition. Seems logical. Anyone else have any suggestions? Seem right?
Old 06-22-06, 08:55 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Yeah definately could be arching to something else.
Old 06-22-06, 01:28 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

When you say Arching what do you mean?
Old 06-22-06, 02:58 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

DzazstrBUSE -

Any spark, like that being generated by a coil out to the sparkplug tip, will take the "path of least resistance".

When there are cracks in wires, coil housings, etc, etc, sometimes that spark energy will jump out of that crack to the nearest metal piece. (ie. 'ground') This spark energy doesn't reach the plug, thus you get the mis-fire sound.

You could think of it as a mini-lightning bolt coming from the coil or wire and jumping to the exhaust system, or a bolt, or a bracket, whatever is closest.

That jumping of the spark energy can be referred to as an arc.
Old 06-23-06, 03:34 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

What an idiot. I cannot believe I went to electronic engineering school for a year and didn't figure what you you guys where talking about. Spent it mostly high or waiting to leave though. You did spark my memory when you wrote "Arc". That probably makes the most sense. Ill try to get a new sleeve and let "ya'll" know what the end result is.
Old 07-01-06, 10:50 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
DzazstrBUSE -

Any spark, like that being generated by a coil out to the sparkplug tip, will take the "path of least resistance".

When there are cracks in wires, coil housings, etc, etc, sometimes that spark energy will jump out of that crack to the nearest metal piece. (ie. 'ground') This spark energy doesn't reach the plug, thus you get the mis-fire sound.

You could think of it as a mini-lightning bolt coming from the coil or wire and jumping to the exhaust system, or a bolt, or a bracket, whatever is closest.

That jumping of the spark energy can be referred to as an arc.
Pulled out the coil pack and noticed white spotting on the area where the tear in the sleeve was. Can i wrap in electrical tape to see if it is definitely that spot that is giving me problems?
Old 07-02-06, 06:06 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your white spotting is carbon tacking, where the arc is coming out of your sleve. If you wrap it in electrical tape consider that a band-aid fix, don't leave it there. That is a lot of voltage.

You PM'd ne saying your MIL had come on, I'm sorry I didn't see how far you had gone with this. Have you checked the codes yet? Your standard P03?? code will tell you the misfiring cylinder unless you get P0300, random misfire. The last two digits refer to the misfiring cylinder, P0301, cyl. one.

-Bill
Old 07-02-06, 01:50 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

how do you know if your car is misfiring? haha sorry for the newbie question...does the CEL come on? or is it just based on feeling?
Old 07-02-06, 03:00 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kharizma
how do you know if your car is misfiring? haha sorry for the newbie question...does the CEL come on? or is it just based on feeling?
you DEFINITELY feel it. Its like a putt-putt feeling. Almost like your car is hiccupping. Very annoying. I wrapped it with tape and it does run a little better. Still putts here and there. Unfortunately since they are only sold with 7other coil packs and all I gues I have to buy a new set from (sigh) a Lexus Dealer. Does anyone know where I would be able to get the rubber housing/sleeve? Cmon, youll save me some loot !!!
Old 07-02-06, 03:09 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

you could always cross your fingers and try some basic junk yards. Sure, most wouldn't want to part out the whole engine, but, you never know till you call. An engine in an accident could have a cracked block and all it's parts could be for sale!

I use www.car-parts.com, a nationwide, network of recycling yards. (ok, it's a junk yard in my book!)

Quick Reply: Changed Sprk Plgs and now misfiring.