Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Changed Sprk Plgs and now misfiring.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-06, 03:22 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DzaztrBUSE
I changed all spark plugs on my GS400. I used the NGK Iridiums. For some odd reason my car is now misfiring. I feel a small stutter or pop outta my exhaust and a bump inside the car every few seconds at idle. What would this be from. I checked the gaps on the spark plugs and they were just fine. Someone help!!! Its annoying.
take it to the dealer asap and let them re-do it. changing spark plugs may sound easy and simple to do, but it's not - you can F8ck up your engine if you do it the wrong way.

good luck.
Old 07-02-06, 04:38 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Changing spark plugs on most engines IS easy.... there are always exceptions to the rule, but many of us are mechanically-inclined, so this poses no problem. If you must go to the dealership, I say go ahead.

The coil and spark plug arangement on the 1UZ-FE engine after 1998 is a bit different than the earlier variations of this same engine. I have a 1999, and as such, I have a coil pack on each cylinder above the spark plug. It is virtually impossible to cross the wires, since there are none.

Each coil costs about $80.00 wholesale and nearly $100.00 each at Lexus, so a coil for each cylinder would be kinda pricey. The suggestion to buy one coil is a great one, and I'll do it when I return from Vacation.

Currently I am driving my car in New Orleans, and it is running exceptional. I left California on the 23rd of June, and will return on the 10th of July. The non-stop driving has cured a lot of the miss, and strangely enough the car runs fine on lower octane than it does in California. This is the longest trip I have taken the car on since I have it, and I have everfy reason to believe that this the longest trip ever on this car.

I have not been able to get 91 octane in some areas of Texas, New Mexico, and I started running the 88 octane with amazing results. The tailpipes have cleared up from the black carbon look I always have in California wth 91 octane. There is also no ping like I used to have there. There is DEFINITELY something different about non-california gasoline, and the car really loves it.

For that reason I will hate to go back home, but alas, I must. If my miss and popping comes back once I get home, I will definitely attribute it to the gasoline.

By the way, I saw between 25 to 27 miles per gallon on 88 octane coming down here, and I will monitor it closely on the way home. Speed limit in Texas is now 80 miles per hour during the day and 65 at night. The car still got great mileage at that speed...GO FIGURE!

Wish me luck!
Old 07-02-06, 05:39 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DzaztrBUSE
Unfortunately since they are only sold with 7other coil packs and all I gues I have to buy a new set from (sigh) a Lexus Dealer.
You should be able to purchase one coil pack alone, no reason to sell all eight at once. I'll double check with my parts department.

-Bill
Old 07-03-06, 05:00 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Exclamation

I checked on that coil, we do not have one but can get it. The part number for the coil is 90919-02228 and we have it listed at $100.00. I asked my parts manager about getting one and shipping it to you if you needed it. He said he could, can't see shipping being more then 15-20 dollars.

-Bill
Old 07-03-06, 08:54 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...99&catalogid=1

I bought my stuff there before. They're a dealer for Toyota, but they happen to sell parts online. The parts are authentic toyota parts and they are reliable, at least in my experience. I've saved so much money on OEM parts buying from them (major parts). Might give them a call at least. I would imagine a coil would cost $90 shipped to your doors.

"Discount Toyota Parts is operated and maintained by Champion Toyota of Austin . We are not a Lexus dealer, but we are able to offer you factory Lexus parts through our affiliations with Lexus dealers. We provide the same warranty on factory Lexus parts as your local dealer."
Old 07-03-06, 04:31 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in my book, it still sucks to spend $100 on a part that *might* fix your problem, or might only be a minor part of the problem as your tape around the one possibly indicates.

If someone is in this guys area POST UP!! How long would it take for a member to let another 'borrow' their coil for a quick test? That would be really awesome. Anyone have a car that is down for a few weeks or more?

Old 07-03-06, 09:39 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
in my book, it still sucks to spend $100 on a part that *might* fix your problem, or might only be a minor part of the problem as your tape around the one possibly indicates.

If someone is in this guys area POST UP!! How long would it take for a member to let another 'borrow' their coil for a quick test? That would be really awesome. Anyone have a car that is down for a few weeks or more?

THAT WOULD BE GREAT (if possible). Ill pay gas and a cold brew after the check. Let me know if anyone is willing. Im in the city. I could travel to the burbs as well.
Old 07-03-06, 09:52 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

y0ou can also try checking to make sure you have your wires set up in the rights places.. and if their in all the way case is its misfiring you could only be using 2 or 3 cylinders... check your wiires
Old 07-04-06, 09:53 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aristo6
y0ou can also try checking to make sure you have your wires set up in the rights places.. and if their in all the way case is its misfiring you could only be using 2 or 3 cylinders... check your wiires
There are no wires, it's dirrect coil to plug, x8.

-Bill
Old 07-05-06, 12:46 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wdpower
There are no wires, it's dirrect coil to plug, x8.

-Bill
Exactly. I did make sure to triple check that the connections to the coil-pack where snapped in. Well I'd better start searching for it online. Wish me luck.
Old 07-07-06, 05:18 AM
ranger2339
Driver

You can get the rubber sleeve from any supra 2jz/1jz i would think..They are all coil ran..

I had a rubber sleeve crack on one of my supra coilpacks....

Josh
Old 07-08-06, 03:01 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Gekko, I appreciate your realistic approach to this all but this is not the first time Ive changed aprk plugs. I've always done my own alternators, belts, brakes, fluid changes, lighting, tune-ups and most audio work on my own. Thanks for looking out but although I am probably never going to build my own turbo or anything I can still handle most the of the entry level project. Hopefully those who aren't mechanically inclined will take heed to your comment for they are the ones that need that warning.

So i started misfiring again after the elec tape. Well I checked again and notice the charge was find its way through the edge of the tape causing a small litlte tear down the side. I took the tape off and double wrapped and the car runs wonderful! I guess it is def the rubber sleeve. Im checking some junk yards to see if I can get one super cheap. I also checked OELexuspart.com (i think it was that) and they can sell me the coil pack shipped for $78!!! I just googled Lexus OEM Parts and boom, there it was. Ill keep you guys posted when I get the new coil pack. Thanks for all help
Old 09-10-06, 03:49 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update--
Did the coil pack fix the mis-firing??
Old 09-11-06, 01:03 AM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
Update--
Did the coil pack fix the mis-firing??
Yes it did. I could def see white marks around the edges of the cracks in the sleeve.
Old 06-17-07, 12:30 AM
HAWAI'I
Rookie

can someone provide me with a part number for the spark plug wire set for a GS300? Please....