Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Gs430 Engine Upgrade Inquiry????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 03:07 PM
nbr1lakerf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gs430 Engine Upgrade Inquiry????????

if i get the SRT intake, would it mess with my cars performance if i added, the torque converter, and or the LSD unit, and the 3.76 slip differential, what would be the proper mix of these or all would benefit?? please someone help me with this! as im gonna start to upgrade performance on my car, cause i cant stand all these cheaper crap cars beating me on the street and thinkin they are all hard! thanks alot everyone!
Old 06-20-06, 03:28 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

I say save your money on the SRT and just get a drop in K&N for $40. Your biggest bang for the buck with the mods you have listed is going to be the 3.76 LSD WITH the 2800 TC. Or another option for you for about the same $$$ is buy one of these used RMM S/C that I have seen popping up and be done with it. Good luck......
Old 06-20-06, 03:36 PM
nbr1lakerf
Driver School Candidate

so your sayin just get the slip Diff- and the torque con- only, no SRT intake? the SRT intake wouldnt help out with performance at all? money isnt really the issue ya know? you have a injen intake, i already have the K&N air filter if thats what you meant?
Old 06-20-06, 04:02 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nbr1lakerf
so your sayin just get the slip Diff- and the torque con- only, no SRT intake? the SRT intake wouldnt help out with performance at all? money isnt really the issue ya know? you have a injen intake, i already have the K&N air filter if thats what you meant?
Thats what I'm saying. There are lots of members that like the SRT and swear it adds some power but I have posted some threads on my real world experiences. This is all based on my experience and opinion. If you have the K&N intake and not the drop in....I say leave it alone. Again...the TC and 3.76 is the best mods you can do for a noticable difference without going forced induction.
Old 06-20-06, 04:12 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

money isnt really the issue ya know?
If $ isn't an issue, how about this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222908

Old 06-21-06, 07:39 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

If you don't go FI, I would recommend the S&S Headers with a custom 2.25" mid-pipe ( with X pipe ), the TT Torsen 3.76 LSD and the SRT Intake. I can't say about the PI TC, because it appears that most 430's have a CEL problem with the TC. I would do the TC in a heartbeat if I knew it would not cause the CEL problem.

The mods above will allow the car to breath properly and you will feel the difference. Drivability will improve significantly.
Old 06-21-06, 10:32 AM
nbr1lakerf
Driver School Candidate

so i would have to CREAT the mid pipe and the x pipe, or can you purchase those as well, im not A HUGE car nut and know alot, thats why im askin, so the TC would cause a "CEL" problem im not familiar with that what is that?? is anyone else with a TC having that problem?
Old 06-21-06, 11:12 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

A custom exhaust shop would be able to do the mid-pipe/x-pipe set-up. See Hameed's thread here: oops, could not find the thread? You can see what I'm putting together by looking at my thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216728 I should finishing up my project soon now that I have the correct flanges.

CEL stands for - check engine light. I believe some earlier GS430 models ( build dates in late 2000/early 2001 ) did not have the problem, but later build dates did. May not really be a problem, but is annoying and kind-of masks any real engine problems ( not to mention state inspection issues ), since the light would always be on.
Old 06-21-06, 11:25 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most would agree that the intake and or exhaust is only for sound. it will sometimes, take power away.

turbo or supercharging is the only way.
Old 06-21-06, 11:26 AM
nbr1lakerf
Driver School Candidate

ok well i DONT want to have that issue with the CEL at all, so TC is out of my options as of right now unless i find out it wont mess with the CEL, ill have to really look into that pipping option, your doing looks clean as hell though! so that is to be done when you have all these other mod's added to the GS430?? it helps with the air flow im takin a great deal? how much would it be to have all that done by a shop or a rough guestimation would be greatly appreciated, i really am gratefull for all of my lexus peep's help on these issues/concerns of mine, as i just want to make sure i dont F*** anything up in the moding process and do everything in sync with one another!
Old 06-21-06, 11:31 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with TeeLex. Get the 3.76 LSD first. I would love to put the Torque Converter in but I am afraid of the CEL issue since we have to have our cars inspected yearly here in Dallas. The TC will give you instant power feel. The 3.76 makes the car shift faster thus getting the engine's horsepower to the pavement quicker. Folks that have the TC and the 3.76 LSD have the best of both worlds. The SRT intake did not result in any real performance improvement in my opinion. If you can get an SRT used cheap, I say go ahead and buy it. But you are going to spend between $600 and $1200 on the 3.76 LSD plus install so be prepared for that.
Old 06-21-06, 11:49 AM
nbr1lakerf
Driver School Candidate

i saw the 3.76 LSD on the l-tunedparts.com website and its 1629.00, where can i get one cheaper?? and im guessing the labor would be kinda pricey no? well ill go with the LSD and probably the SRT or the K&N intake!
Old 06-21-06, 12:07 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

i saw the 3.76 LSD on the l-tunedparts.com website and its 1629.00, where can i get one cheaper?? and im guessing the labor would be kinda pricey no? well ill go with the LSD and probably the SRT or the K&N intake!
Thats pretty much the going rate for a new one......you might be able to get one used either here or some supra forums. Install should run about $300ish. Unless you get the SRT cheap.....put that money towards something that will make your car faster like the ........3.76 LSD
Old 06-21-06, 12:47 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

The 3.76 LSD will make your car quicker ( and that could be debated if considering 0-60 times and shift points ), with better response, but not really faster ( in fact slower due to high rear end ratio ). Given the choice I would do the S&S headers, intake and custom mid-pipe over the 3.76, but thats just me. My car just feels much better ( and this is what matters most ot me ) and more responsive with this combination. Drivability is really increased with both the 3.76 and header change. That said, I would not want to give up any of the above - they all make for a more enjoyable ride
Old 06-21-06, 02:20 PM
nbr1lakerf
Driver School Candidate

ok so ill get the 3.76 LSD, and the headers, with the SRT intake or K& N intake coming after, sounds good! and then ill go back to the exterior styling to finish up! time to turn the GS430 into a responsive beast! haha im jealous of all that have those things done to their cars right now! where can i get the headers cheap if anyone knows that would be great! thanks!

Quick Reply: Gs430 Engine Upgrade Inquiry????????