Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS Exhaust Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-06, 05:36 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default GS Exhaust Headers

I just saw the video Lexbox posted of his car with headers. I have to say I don't like the way the car sounds at all. It sounds like an american vehicle. I don't think I'm going to be doing that mod. Nothing personal Lexbox, I just prefer a little more subtlety. Not trying to go at you at all, everybody has their own taste.
Old 06-23-06, 06:09 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad, you'll be missing out on the best engine mod I've made - S&S headers. Certainly in my case I can barely tell a difference in sound - nothing significant. Lexbox must have done more than just headers in the exhaust system - but I'll let him speak. In any case the headers make a significant difference in mid-range torque - I think they're great on my GS430.
Old 06-23-06, 07:02 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

If it was not for the fact that I could not do this install myself, I would have done this mod before my exhaust mod. Based on all that I have read, the mid-range torque improvement is sooo worth it. The noise (which is debatable), is just the icing on the cake I think.
Old 06-23-06, 08:02 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess you don't like Mercedes AMG's either because those cars sound like classic American muscle cars with the grunt to match. Listening to those headers on the GS reminds me of the Mercedes AMG.. Sweet music to my ears. Sounds like my next mod
Old 06-23-06, 08:37 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Maybe he did have other mods that made it sound like that. I'm not too fond of MB's. Nice styling but I'm a Lexus guy for life.
Old 06-23-06, 08:42 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by KANEDL25
Maybe he did have other mods that made it sound like that. I'm not too fond of MB's. Nice styling but I'm a Lexus guy for life.
Stock Lexus cars = Boring!
Old 06-23-06, 08:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Stock Lexus cars = Boring!
shh! I got in trouble for saying that

Anyways, I find it hard to "quiet" down a V8 that's making power. Then again, we dont have short stroke V8s like the ones in Ferrari 360s and F430s
Old 06-23-06, 08:59 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think just headers would make the car sound obnoxious at all. I wish they were simpler to install and I too would have them on my "oem inspired" 430.

they get noisy when you change mufflers, which is not the sound I'm after either.
Old 06-23-06, 10:22 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hameed
If it was not for the fact that I could not do this install myself, I would have done this mod before my exhaust mod. Based on all that I have read, the mid-range torque improvement is sooo worth it. The noise (which is debatable), is just the icing on the cake I think.
Yeah, what he said
Old 06-23-06, 12:18 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by KANEDL25
I just saw the video Lexbox posted of his car with headers. I have to say I don't like the way the car sounds at all. It sounds like an american vehicle. I don't think I'm going to be doing that mod. Nothing personal Lexbox, I just prefer a little more subtlety. Not trying to go at you at all, everybody has their own taste.
Keep in mind the video I made was running with just the header and nothing else exhaust wise. It sounds nothing like that with everything else bolted up. Ive been meaning to make another video with everything else bolted up.
Old 06-23-06, 03:00 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard a GS around the chicago-area with a HORRIBLE sound. It sounded as if there was aleak in the exhaust. WAY TOO LOUD. If it sounds anything like my buddy's E55 then Im sold. Hell, even my girlfriends CLK430 sounds nice and throaty. For now just have the Borla. By any chance will an SRT intake make my exhaust a little throatier (f thats a word)?
Old 06-23-06, 08:21 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Ok Lexbox, let me know when you have another sound clip so I can see if I wanna get the headers.
Old 06-23-06, 08:29 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Dont get me wrong the headers are noticeable but then again, you cant remove the silencer on a gun and complain it is too loud. I can probably have it tomorrow. Jeff and I are working on some stuff for his new DIY site.
Old 06-23-06, 08:47 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind also. Lexbox has a i6 and not the v8. They have different sounds. Call me what you want, but I don't think anything comes close to sounding as nice as a "properly exhausted" 2JZ....especially under boost

Those BMW i6's....bleh they don't even come close!

Well, I may be a little biased since I've been around/worked on Supras since I was in high school and now a GS3

You ever heard a Supra Turbo with a 9500rpm redline?
Old 06-23-06, 09:33 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad you mentioned that, I was just noticing too that KANE had a 6 and not a V8. Not only is the sound obviuosly different, but the quality and thickness of the headers for 6's and 8's will be different, and give a different sound.

Kane, a header, in and of itself, is only going to make things unappealing if they are thin and have leaks. it's the Cats, resonators and mufflers and pipe size that will determine the sound quality way more than the headers alone.

I think you should get the header, just make sure you get a quality one.

Quick Reply: GS Exhaust Headers