Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz-gte conversion on 98 gs300

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-06, 04:47 PM
LEXIOUS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jz-gte conversion on 98 gs300

I am new to this site and I have searched the forums and i can't find it. I have a 98 gs300 that i just bought it has 125k on the car and i am looking to swap the motor in it. The questions i have may already have been answered but any help would be good.

1.) Is the USDM 2JZ-GTE better than the JDM version?

2.) Will the USDM version direct swap or am i better off with a JDM?

3.) Will i need to reflash or swap out the ECU?

4.) Will the stock gs tranny bolt up?

5.) How difficult is it to swap in the 4 speed auto?

6.) What will i have to change to use the 4 speed auto if i have to do it?

7.) Who is a good company to go through for the motor?

8.) How much power will the supra rear end hold up to?

9.) Do i need to swap out for a better drive shaft?

10.) Is it true the US GS300 firewall is an 1" shorter than the aristo?

I know this is a lot of questions but i just can't seem to find the information that i am looking for. I have cash to do it but i want to make the best choice before i go and start buying parts that i can't use. If you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-06, 07:27 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

First where in wa are you ?
answers to your questions

1.) Is the USDM 2JZ-GTE better than the JDM version?
Depends what you want to do with it. The USDM will make more power in stock form because of the bigger injectors, bigger cams and larger steel impellers on the turbo

2.) Will the USDM version direct swap or am i better off with a JDM?
Neither of them are a direct swap. IMO the JDM will be an easier swap

3.) Will i need to reflash or swap out the ECU?
Need to swap it because the NA ecu isnt boost friendly among other things

4.) Will the stock gs tranny bolt up?
Yes but its not as strong as the TT trans. If you get a JDM swap most of them come with trannys

5.) How difficult is it to swap in the 4 speed auto? Its a bolt on but you would need to wire up the ecu for the tranny if Im not mistaken.

6.) What will i have to change to use the 4 speed auto if i have to do it? the tranny ecu.

7.) Who is a good company to go through for the motor?There are a few good ones. J-hott and jarco I hear are good. I got mine direct from a friend that went to japan on vacation

8.) How much power will the supra rear end hold up to?AFAIK the supras that are running in the 1000+hp range run supra rear ends

9.) Do i need to swap out for a better drive shaft? No

10.) Is it true the US GS300 firewall is an 1" shorter than the aristo? No but rather that the RHD has a different firewall to accomodate the under hood acessories
Old 06-23-06, 08:06 PM
LEXIOUS
Driver School Candidate

pennisula, kitsap county how bout you?
Thanks for the info
Old 06-23-06, 08:24 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEXIOUS
pennisula, kitsap county how bout you?
Thanks for the info
Millcreek
Did that reply help you at all ?
Old 06-25-06, 10:28 AM
LEXIOUS
Driver School Candidate

it helped some but i really need some more details. i want to go buy a motor really soon but i don't know which one iwll be better and how complicated it will be. I've searched for VVT-I motors and Non-VVT-I motors but no solid answer on what i have to do to use either. Also is it better to use the twins or go with a single? It seems like the twins will spool a little faster. I am also not too sure about the wiring and who i should take it to. I've worked with automotive electronics for years but i just want to make sure it works perfectly. I would just take it to a shop if i knew i wasn't going to get ripped off. plus i'm pretty sure most shops around here haven't done a swap like this before. BurgandyGS seems like he has a pretty good setup.
Old 06-25-06, 02:48 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEXIOUS
it helped some but i really need some more details. i want to go buy a motor really soon but i don't know which one iwll be better and how complicated it will be. I've searched for VVT-I motors and Non-VVT-I motors but no solid answer on what i have to do to use either. Also is it better to use the twins or go with a single? It seems like the twins will spool a little faster. I am also not too sure about the wiring and who i should take it to. I've worked with automotive electronics for years but i just want to make sure it works perfectly. I would just take it to a shop if i knew i wasn't going to get ripped off. plus i'm pretty sure most shops around here haven't done a swap like this before. BurgandyGS seems like he has a pretty good setup.
You should definately talk to BurgandyGS and search the CL forums as well as the supraforums.Does the 98 have vvti already ? my wifes 99 does. If so I would stay with the vvti setup. Stay twins at first and as you see a need for more power start to do the upgrades.
I agree with you about the shops. I dont know of one that I trust, thats why I do everything myself. Well that and money savings plus I like to do everything myself.
that said, I think the vvti would be a more straight forward swap.
Old 07-06-06, 10:15 AM
BurgandyGS
Pole Position

Hey bro. Just saw your post. If you still have questions, I'll try to answer them. I have a 98 GS 300 and did the VVT-i swap. I was lucky that I have a local shop that my friend owns and a local place for engines. If you pull the trigger, you will be amazed how much power this car is capable of. I am very pleased. I'm not done yet but very close. You had a lot of questions about the tranny. Down and dirty, the GS300 didn't come with the tiptronic feature until 2001, I believe. Right now the car is shifting fine with the 4-speed tranny from the aristo. Mine came attached to the engine and the stock driveshaft bolted right up. I have the limited slip rear diff but haven't put it in yet. I still have the stock cluster and shifter. I'm looking for the cluster from a 01 and steering wheel with the manual feature. The tranny from the aristo has the manual option. I also got the shifter from the aristo but it's for right hand drive so my console won't work. Either way, the car shifts fine right now. As far as wiring it, the car was running about 4 hrs after he started. He just changed some pinouts. Also, he got the ABS to work but the vsc doesn't. He couldn't find a skematic. Don't need that anyways. Hope that helps for now.
Attached Thumbnails 2jz-gte conversion on 98 gs300-digital-pictures-030.jpg  
Old 07-06-06, 10:19 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Burgandy... do you think your guy is able to install the tiptronic for you if you got the steering wheel? If possible, can you ask him what is needed?
Old 07-27-06, 01:43 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Burgandy
I love looking at your engine
Old 08-10-06, 02:36 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

burgandy where are you from in fl ?? and where is your friends shop located and the name
Old 08-10-06, 05:44 AM
mostrogt
Pole Position

Nice engine

I'm partly new but looking forward to someday do that if I decide to go all out.

I have Japan connections which may facilitate getting all this stuff.

Where are you in florida? I think I saw your ride at the JM Meet?

I would like to talk more and learn about this swap.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-06, 12:50 PM
mikaylah21
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Originally Posted by mostrogt
Nice engine

I'm partly new but looking forward to someday do that if I decide to go all out.

I have Japan connections which may facilitate getting all this stuff.

Where are you in florida? I think I saw your ride at the JM Meet?

I would like to talk more and learn about this swap.

Thanks.

I would also like to fine out more about this swap because i also have a 98 gs300. I would like to go twin turbo though
Old 08-18-06, 07:14 PM
BurgandyGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikal
Burgandy... do you think your guy is able to install the tiptronic for you if you got the steering wheel? If possible, can you ask him what is needed?
He said he could, I just need the cluster,wheel and shifter. Also, I am from Ft Lauderdale for those who asked.
Old 08-18-06, 08:26 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BurgandyGS
He said he could, I just need the cluster,wheel and shifter. Also, I am from Ft Lauderdale for those who asked.

Ouch.. gonna be expensive to set that up. Sucks for those without tiptronic. from factory
Old 08-20-06, 08:32 AM
BurgandyGS
Pole Position

Sucks a lot

Quick Reply: 2jz-gte conversion on 98 gs300