Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installed the Blitz drop in filter today

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-06 | 04:01 PM
GOBUCS
Driver

Originally Posted by caymandive
Testing will be done as such:
- Car has had it's battery disconnected so that the ECU is reset
- Car will be driven a couple hundred miles prior to the dyno session so that the car is dropped on the dyno in the same condition as my other dyno's
- 93 octane will be used
- SAE correction also used
- Same dyno roller will be used as my last dyno. It's an all wheel drive dyno so I can choose which roller I use.
- First few runs will be with the Blitz drop in filter installed and I will take the best of those runs and overlay it with my last JOEZ intake dyno graph
- Car will be cooled off
- I will then throw in a brand new factory airfilter and make a couple runs and take the best of those runs and overlay it with my JOEZ intake dynograph and the best run with my Blitz drop in filter.
I'd be curious to see what results you get with no filter at all. I have seen many people at the dragstrip try this, so it might be interesting to test this scenario against your other planned dyno runs.
Old 06-29-06 | 04:31 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GOBUCS
I'd be curious to see what results you get with no filter at all. I have seen many people at the dragstrip try this, so it might be interesting to test this scenario against your other planned dyno runs.
Good idea. On my last run I'll do it with the drop in filters out utilizing only the second stage filter thats in the airbox lid.
Old 06-30-06 | 07:15 PM
casey225
Pole Position

Do you guys think it is a necessity to reset the ECU after installing the Blitz filter? I reset it after JoeZ, and granted it's not that big a deal, but just curious.
Old 06-30-06 | 10:54 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by casey225
Do you guys think it is a necessity to reset the ECU after installing the Blitz filter? I reset it after JoeZ, and granted it's not that big a deal, but just curious.
I say don't reset the ECU unless you reset the ECU every time you get in the car.
Old 06-30-06 | 11:01 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 1M

I don't think resetting is necessary. The slight difference in air volume through high flow vs stock filters is likely going to be pretty neglagable.
Old 07-01-06 | 06:23 AM
casey225
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ramon
I don't think resetting is necessary. The slight difference in air volume through high flow vs stock filters is likely going to be pretty neglagable.
That's kind of what I thought, too, but I'm no expert. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to screw anything up.
Old 07-01-06 | 07:26 PM
casey225
Pole Position

Popped mine in today and WOW! Quite a noticeable difference. Seems to me the incremental improvement in throttle response is even more noticeble than when I installed the JoeZ. If anyone installs them together, they will be in for quite a pleasant surprise.
Old 07-01-06 | 08:33 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by casey225
Popped mine in today and WOW! Quite a noticeable difference. Seems to me the incremental improvement in throttle response is even more noticeble than when I installed the JoeZ. If anyone installs them together, they will be in for quite a pleasant surprise.
Just wait until you feel the power increase after you detail your car, whoa!
Old 07-14-06 | 09:06 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

I'm off to the dyno in a few minutes. Will have results posted by 4pm today EST. I'm just going to be doing the blitz filter compared to a new OEM air filter. Nobody sent me a K&N or HKS filter. Oh well.
Old 07-14-06 | 09:07 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Woo hoo! I'm already getty antsy...

Javier
Old 07-14-06 | 09:51 AM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by javylsu
Woo hoo! I'm already getty antsy...

Javier
LOL....Yeah me too
Old 07-14-06 | 10:03 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

You've got another $5, caymandive.

Common everyone, chip in
Old 07-14-06 | 12:16 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

-Arrived and did 3 pulls with the drop in Blitz filter. Car was sitting for a good 1 hour before they got around to putting it on the dyno. I wasn't too impressed and actually shocked to see lower numbers than my previous dyno session, when I dyno'd just the JOEZ pipe and stock air filter. (See runfile 015 BLUE)
-Within 3 minutes I pulled the Blitz filter out and dropped in the new OEM filter and dyno'd again. Numbers jumped up both hp/tq. (See runfile 019 Red)
-We couldn't believe it and just to be sure, within 3 more minutes we pulled the OEM filter and put the Blitz filter back in and ran it a few times and the power was almost identical to the stock OEM filter. (See runfile 023)

Conclusion. I'm going to guess that the first few runs with lower numbers were due to the car not fully warmed up and the coolant not yet at a consistent temperature. Once the car was completely warmed up and with back to back dyno pulls between the OEM and Blitz filter they are damn near identical. So with these results I'm pulling the Blitz filter and I will be running the OEM filter. I'm assuming the OEM filter will protect my engine the best, but on the flip side since they are making almost identical numbers that maybe they are filtering almost identically. Thanks to all who contributed towards this dyno session. Always fun and interesting to see what the results yield.

Blitz drop-in filter dyno run Video

Last edited by caymandive; 07-14-06 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-14-06 | 12:58 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Wow, that's pretty surprising, but at the same time I guess it isn't - apparently Lexus engineered all the typical of inefficiencies out of this intake system (with the notable exception of the resonator, fixed by JoeZ). This is going to cut down demand for aftermarket filters significantly, unless the K&N shows radically different dyno numbers.

Javier
Old 07-14-06 | 01:03 PM
Pittdawg
Driver

So what's next seeing as though there's not a whole lot more to squeeze out of the intake? How about a modified throttle body? It seems as though smoothing out the airflow w/ the Joe Z tube helped relatively significantly, how bout a mild polish and porting of the throttle body next? I know that helped siginificantly on my V8 Dodge Dakota...

Quick Reply: Installed the Blitz drop in filter today