Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installed the Blitz drop in filter today

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-06, 03:18 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Installed the Blitz drop in filter today (Updated with Dyno Results!)

Well today I installed the Blitz drop in filter to compliment the JOEZ pipe. When I removed the factory air filter it looked clean, but each time I tapped it on the floor it would leave quite a bit of dirt on the concrete floor. That said, when I last dyno'd the car with the JOEZ intake and for those who question whether or not the JOEZ pipe makes any power, I made power on my last dyno over my baseline even with a stock air filter that had about 3000 more dirtier miles on it than when I did the base line. Also I'm not sure if it makes any difference in the car, but when I did my baseline I had 94 octane in the tank. On the Joe Z, I was using 93 octane still making 5 more hp over baseline. I'm really curious to see how much power the drop in filter gives me over my last dyno. I may hit the dyno this Friday, but that depends on the shops schedule and also how much packing I have to do. I'm heading to Cozumel for some diving from the 1st to the 5th of July.

Well the drop in filter is now in place. Here is a photo of it in the airbox. Sorry, the flash was on, so it caused some of the metal in the mesh to become reflective making it look shiny in places.

For those who were asking about the dual filter design of the intake, here is a photo of the airbox lid. It has a seperate filter built into it!!

Last edited by caymandive; 07-14-06 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-28-06, 03:27 PM
Pittdawg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet...now go get that dyno!
Old 06-28-06, 03:28 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd keep the stock filter on hand for the dyno also. That way, you'll know that it's the filter and not the continuing break-in of the engine that's the actual source of the gains.

This will also keep the other variables (gas, temp, humidity, etc.,) the same. Even though you put in 94 in the baseline and 93 in for the JoeZ, you don't really know what was sitting in those tanks.
Old 06-28-06, 03:30 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by al503
I'd keep the stock filter on hand for the dyno also. That way, you'll know that it's the filter and not the continuing break-in of the engine that's the actual source of the gains.

This will also keep the other variables (gas, temp, humidity, etc.,) the same. Even though you put in 94 in the baseline and 93 in for the JoeZ, you don't really know what was sitting in those tanks.
Haha man i'm one step ahead of you. I have a brand new stock filter on the way that will be used for the dyno testing. As long as i'm not making less power than my previous dyno's I'm going to consider myself on the right track. Stay tuned.

Man I outta be getting paid for these tests.
Old 06-28-06, 03:35 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
Haha man i'm one step ahead of you. I have a brand new stock filter on the way that will be used for the dyno testing. As long as i'm not making less power than my previous dyno's I'm going to consider myself on the right track. Stay tuned.
Kudos!

What's your paypal? I'm willing to chip in $5
Old 06-28-06, 03:45 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by al503
Kudos!

What's your paypal? I'm willing to chip in $5
Wow nice.. my paypal is james@isimar.com Every little bit helps.
Old 06-28-06, 04:11 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

How bout you test the HKS filter also. If you did that I'd chip in $5 also. We should just get a few people to chip in and you can test all 3 filters.
Old 06-28-06, 05:36 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

awesome...i had the JoeZ intake and Blitz filter on my old IS300 and loved it
Old 06-28-06, 06:11 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default installed JoeZ intake tube & biltz filter today

Well today i threw on the JoeZ intake and blitz filter, i def noticed
a throatier sound from 4k rpm and up.. Didn't really notice any
power difference, maybe just a bit more responsive. (as Caymandive stated). I knew I wouldn't
of felt a diff because it was a hot & humid day today, but it sure
does make the engine bay look wayyy better (silver)..

Last edited by Tony1; 06-28-06 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-28-06, 06:17 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

If someone wants to send me an HKS filter I'll test that one too, but the cost of my dyno time will def go up with the extra runs. I believe DASGALLOWAY on is300.net is also doing an intake test. He hasn't mentioned testing the BLitz filter and even if he does I'm going to do it myself as I like to see results on my own.

As of right now his plan is to dyno the following: LINK to intake testing thread
1. Stock
2. JoeZ
3. JoeZ + HKS Drop-in
4. LMS
Old 06-28-06, 07:14 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
Wow nice.. my paypal is james@isimar.com Every little bit helps.
Money sent.
Old 06-28-06, 09:08 PM
United #10
Pole Position

Looks great. Where did u guys order it?
Old 06-29-06, 03:51 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by United #10
Looks great. Where did u guys order it?
Hey very cool! I'm going to schedule the dyno testing for Friday July 14th. They are booked for tomorrow and next week I will be on my dive trip to Cozumel. Stay tuned.
Old 06-29-06, 06:19 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2nd oem air filter removal

I was thinking on wether or not I should remove that stock filter thats attached
to the top of the air box housing.. I don't know what purpose it serves other
then restricting airflow, I don't see dirt getting past the main filter.. I mean, I don't think
many other cars have that 2nd filter (screen) and they do just fine.. Or am i wrong?
Old 06-29-06, 06:50 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony1
I was thinking on wether or not I should remove that stock filter thats attached
to the top of the air box housing.. I don't know what purpose it serves other
then restricting airflow, I don't see dirt getting past the main filter.. I mean, I don't think
many other cars have that 2nd filter (screen) and they do just fine.. Or am i wrong?

You are right. The 2nd filter is just that. A second filter that pretty much guarantees this engine is always going to have clean filtered air. I'm going to leave it in the airbox lid for the peace of mind. Also the new drop in filter is more free flowing and I hope to see some hp gains with it. As long as I have gains and I know the car is still getting very clean air ingested I'm going to keep it. Only problem I could see with it is if and when K&N releases a drop in that requires oiling there may be an issue with some of the oil sticking to the second filter and drastically reducing airflow into the intake manifold, which is why i'm going to stick with dry filters.

Quick Reply: Installed the Blitz drop in filter today